1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission m73 and m73i - Is there a big difference??? Help me please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by EmissarY, Nov 13, 2003.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

As a poor student my budget has allowed me to purchase these speakers. The only thing is, can anyone tell me what the deal is with the 'i' factor in these models.

Richersounds are right now doing the m73 for £99 and the m73i for £119. i dont mind paying the extra £20, but will it be of major benefit to me?

Is the 'i' factor just a gimmick? I understand, by looking through various posts that many of you have been happy with the m73, indeed my friend also has these speakers and they sound very good on his setup, but I would like to know if anyone has got the m73i and rates it higher than the m73. Surely it cant be 'that' different?

Please dont misunderstand me, I'm not asking this out of insecurity at purchasing said speakers, and as such seeking validation, but merely an informed opinion on the m73 range.

Thanx you for your time,

EmissarY

:smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i series have better cabinet bracing and do on the whole sound better, the only way you can tell if it is worth the £20 extra is with your own ears mate! Also the M72i is the same but without the long floorstanding cabinet so they may be the better purchase, and get a pair of stands when you can afford it.
    PS I am too a poor student.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the 'i' versions are better sonically, improved cross-over (the bit that splits the signal between the mid/bass cone and the tweeter) and improved cabinet-braising (not quite sure, but I think it means the cabinet walls are stiffer and are better at eliminated standing waves which prevents box boom...or I could be speaking ****** :D ). If the latter is correct then it would be worth getting the 'i' versions are those M73i floorstanders can be quite bassy.

4. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you 4 the prompt response.

Another related question I have is regarding the centre speakers of the m70 range.

I have seen the m7c1 and m7c1i (I think..), but does the m7c2 come in an m7c2i flavour?

I will be getting the m7c2 as I know this to be the better centre speaker out of the 2. However, if it does not come in an'i' model, will it tonally match the m73i speakers?

EmissarY

Oh P.S - I also intend to get the m7ds bipolars, to complete the set, the sub will have to come later on when funds allow.

:hiya:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    go for the m7c2 mate much better speaker by all acounts. and great atrter setup even without sub, RS have an open box sale this sunday and possibly you could save some cash.

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The M7C2 does not have an 'Improved model.' I don't think the improvements made to the stand mounts and to the floor standers would be as useful on a center speaker.
    I have the M7C2 myself and it's superb!:smashin:

7. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned both and the i is definately better imo. Go for the the M7C2 - wish I had as the only weak part of the setup (m73is and M7DS) is the centre.

8. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    EmissarY is the ONLY student who in NOT poor lol