1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M72i - Best Mounting Option

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by EmissarY, Sep 22, 2004.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I am a bit inexperienced when it comes to drilling holes in walls etc. But my room is such that I have a large concrete back wall on which I would like to mount my M72is 4 rear duties. I cannot place them on stands as space restrictions wont allow it.

I am considering purchasing the following speaker mounts from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=105077&Trail=C$cip=16704>C$cip=16705>C$cip=16710&categoryId=16710

I have checked the weight of each M72i and that is 7.5kg per speaker.

The mounts seem to be able to support up to 20kg, however, will I be sacrificing anything my using mounts, in terms of speaker balance, tonal output etc....will the sound be affected at all???

Thanx to all who help,

EmissarY.

:beer:

2. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    at the rate your going this will never happen

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There are many people happily using wall brackets for their main stereo speakers.

In the rear surround mode speaker performance isn't nearly as critical as front mains or a stereo pair.

Driling holes in concrete walls is great fun if you use a smaller masonry drill bit first to get the hole exactly where you want it. Then open out the hole to the correct plastic plug size with a larger drill. Ask at a DIY shop for the correct masonry drill sizes to match the plugs you are going to use with your wall brackets. A hammer drill is easier to use as it helps to penetrate gravel in concrete walls.
    Don't use old and worn masonry drill bits in concrete. They cost so little it pays to buy new. In plaster, brick or block walls drilling is easier because there is no hard gravel to push the drill off-centre.

Nimby

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have used very similar mounts for my mothers hifi in her sitting room.

I can adivise you that Mission M7x speaker are rear ported (I own the M71's and M73's).

If you place them within 10-30cm of a wall the response sometimes can be a bit boomy or lead to a hump in the response, this can be altered by using the foam bungs and sealing the speaker up.

This really tightens the sound at the loss of overal output and bass extention, but as you are using these for rear duties that is fine.

Even sealed properly powered M71/M72's can give some powerfull sound.