1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M71i's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Clarkey, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I currently have a pair of TDL nucleus 2's I bought from RS and they are ok but i feel like an upgrade. Im looking at the Mission M71i's (also from RS :p), they certainly look better than my TDL's but how is the sound from these, do you lot think that it would be worth the upgrade?
    Also a couple of noob questions, I have a sony a/v reciever which has a selector for 4 or 8 ohms impedance, my TDL's say their impedance is 4-8ohm. What would be the best setting for the amp and what difference does it make?
    My last question is about bi-wiring, simple one this one, how is it done, i've looked up what the info on RS's website says and from what I can see there its just a case of connecting up 2 wires to the + terminal on the amp and both of those into the 2 + terminals on the speaker and the same obviously for the -. Is it really this simple, and what kind of improvement in quality are we talking about by doing this?

Thanks
    Clarkey :)

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Forget the Mission's - it's a sideways step. Look at something like MA Bronze B2 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's for a noticable improvement.

Leave your amp at 8 ohms.

Yup, you've got the bi-wiring thing down! Worth it? Some speakers benefit, others sound the same with the bars in place. Experiment. :)

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The benefits of bi-wiring are most obvious in the midrange and treble. The low-current signal to the midrange and tweeter drivers does not have to travel on the same wire as the high-current woofer signal.

The effects of bi-wiring are not subtle. The improvements are large enough that a bi-wire set of moderately priced cable will usually sound better than a single run of more expensive cable.

4. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice, for now I think i'll buy 2 runs of decent cable and go for bi-wiring them. What else can I do to improve what I have allready? I have them sitting on big blobs of blu-tac atm as a cheap alternative to spikes, but I still get a good amount of vibration transmitted through the desk they are on (nowhere else to put them), are spikes worth it?

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have no knowledge of the TDL's but the Missions are bloody good speakers. As with any speakers, decent stands are a must. Some speakers work well with spikes, others prefer decoupling but poor supports will always hurt the sound quality. Another thing to consider is where you place them in the room, this can really improve things with a little experimentation.

6. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Note: to bi-wire you do need to take out the bit of metal connecting up the 2+ and 2- connections on the back of the speakers, otherwise you'd essentially be having one cable that was twice the size! Haven't tried it myself, I know some people swaer by it and others did blind tests and couldn't tell the difference. Don't spend hundreds on biwiring without seeing if it's worthwhile first, but the I guess if we're talking tens rather than hundreds of pounds it can't cost the earth to experiment!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Maybe start by bi-wring the fronts first, if you think there's a difference then do the rest.