1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mission m5as subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bigoggi, May 2, 2005.

1. bigoggi

bigoggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could anyone tell me if it is possible to connect my mission m5as subwoofer through a digital cable to my amp for surround sound duties and also connect it at speaker level at the same time as i would like to get the extra bass when i play music in stereo.

cheers Owen

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I cannot say if it is recommended or not but I have done this with mine previously though not running both sources at the same time - my issue was having to change the cross over each time as the AVR work it was best to set it to the highest cross over but for hi-fi it needed to be much lower. Gain for me wasnt an issue as I set it correctly for hi-fi and just adjusted the gain on the AVR to adjust so it was ok with surround sound

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You cannot connect a M5AS digitally (or any other sub I know for that matter, unless its perhaps a Meridian) Both forms of connection are analogue. Its just that one is a high level connection using speaker cable, straight from the amplifier outputs and the other is low level from the pre-amplification outputs of your pre-amp/processor :thumbsup: I wouldn't recommend connecting both at once unless it says you are able to in the manual. Some subs, such as RELs will take both high and low level signals at once. But I'm not sure about the Mission. if you dent have the manual then give Mission a ring :thumbsup:

4. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you wanting to drive the m5as from two different amplifiers - one for surround sound and another for stereo?

If so then you should be able to connect the sub RCA phono input to your surround sound amp subwoofer output, then connect the speaker level inputs to your stereo amp, as the two inputs are separate.

Just make sure you don't try to play both amplifiers at once! :oops:

Mr Mission

5. bigoggi

bigoggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot guys,the mission manual wasn,t too clear and you have confirmed what i thought.

cheers