1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M3DS co-axial drivers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brimstone, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mission M3DS.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed (or cared), but i was quite disappointed by the M3DS when i noticed the driver layout.

I sent a pair back recently as when i testing them i found them to not sound that great sounding (bipole design & freq response aside).

I had a good look at them and realised that Mission had played a crafty one - they are co-axial drivers! not 2-way designs with the same drivers as the rest of the range (as was the case with the M7DS i tried to get hold of on ebay, and the other ranges M77DS, M5DS, etc).

I dont know about any of you, but when i think of co-axial speakers, i tend to think of cheap ICE (car) drivers. I'm not saying thats what these are, of course, but it does seem a bit of a <insert your own appropriate phrase> for speakers that haven't got comparitively any cheaper compared to earlier ranges bipoles (with range matched 2-way drivers), or other manufacturers designs. These are the only bipoles i have found like this, and they can get away with it because you dont notice due to the covered design (it does tell you in the spec, if you look). The co-axial driver, the light plastic construction, and the sound put me off them completely. Mission save on driver costs and you lose out on driver matching with your other speakers (and quality?).

Has anyone come across other co-axial drivers used in decent quality HiFi/AV products where you wouldn't expect it?

Anyone happy and satisfied with their M3DS's in use?

I think Mission have quietly slipped this in to save on costs (without a reflection in the price).
    All fine and dandy if others have no problems with this or the sound of the speakers, but im still not impressed.

Shame coz i really liked the 'bump' look of the DS's. Gone off it now for some reason...

Going for Mordaunt Short bipoles instead.

Not trying to make anyone who has these speakers unhappy - just pointing out what i've noticed and my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers, Mark.