1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M-Cube

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NC11, Feb 19, 2005.

1. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Posted in the AMP section , but should have been posted here...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been given an in-depth demo of the m-cube system today. Spent 2 hours with my favorite DVDs and CDs at my installer and the bottom line is..... I'm replacing my Eggs next week with a 6.1 m-cube set.

I've listened to 2 movies (crimson tide and ronin) as well as 2 CDs (classical and Lemar). The mission were just opened from a new box and setup in the demo room , which already had a set of Eggs (2005.2) and Elegante e82(AMAZING!! , but I don't have the space...).

The m-cube and the Eggs were connected at first to a 3805 AMP , which really let both systems down - sound was dull , non-dynamic and generally weak.

As soon as the AMP was changed to an AX5Ai (like the one I own) , things improved dramatically. I've tried the Eggs and the m-cubes at the same time , switching from one system to the other at various scenes. The sound from the m-cube was fuller with more detail and warmth. on the car chase scenes in ronin the Eggs were better than the m-cubes and sounded more dynamic , however I assume that had the m-cubes been setup and tweaked properly on the AMP they would have sounded better.

The rest was all m-cube including the music.

at the end I got a fantastic deal for the swap so if all goes well , I'll have the m-cubes installed and setup next Saturday.

I think it won't be long before the m-cubes take their place at the top of the list for anyone looking for a small sat\sub package.

NC.

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What about price of the M-Cubes? And compared to the MS Genie...?

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And what was the separation like? With such a high crossover, it seems unlikely that the sub won't be 'positioned'...

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Like I mentioned , the package was opened and placed , no setting up or tweaking was made so whatever settings were there out of the box did the trick for me.

I'm sure it can be improved with proper setup.

5. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So did anyone see the m-cubes in the Bristol show?

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mission was absent...

They were using them in the SIM2 room, but when I asked to turn the music up for a breif demo I was told "sorry, I can't do that"...I understand that they weren't there to show off the cubes but I may have spent more time in the room looking at the SIM2 RP's if they had let me listen to them...

Looked very nice in the flesh though...dont think I could live with the stands though, would have to wallmount IMHO.

JJ

7. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I missed the review of these in last months what hi-fi but I think they got a good review.

In next months mag they are trailing are a shoot off between the genies and m-cubes... Should be interesting!

8. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    They got an excellent review in last month's WHF, they had high praise for the M-Cubes and were really impressed with it.

Odd thing about these is that usually the WHF guide price is about 10-15% higher than you can normally find it in stores/online. However, I've only managed to find one store that sells it for the WHF guide price of £1,000 and everywhere else I've seen it is about £1,100 which is 10% above the guide price. Very strange. Must be a shortage or something, being such a new product.

9. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes,

Eveything about them (NXT, physical size etc) says they should be a bit of a compromise. I was very, very suprised when I heard them!

10. simonali

simonali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's a set on ebay at the mo'.

11. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not go thinking WHF is a good source.

The best solution is for you to try them yourself. Do not go following WHF for prices listed in their reviews, they are known to get them wrong. WHF are one of the worst sources for reviews you can get, they are "The Sun" newspaper version of hi-fi magazines.

Please see the light.

12. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    And your opinion is 'the light' is it? :rolleyes:
    It was just an observation, nothing more. Sheesh.

13. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price WHF quoted was for the 5.1 system without the floor stands. The stands retail for £200. Most shops are selling the system with a pair of floor stands, hence the price of £1200.
    This months WHF has an advert for Superfi on page 175 that states "the review in last month's What Hi-Fi? is incorrect. The manufacturer does not supply this system without the stands and brackets for £1000.00"
    However, MissionMan has stated somewhere on this forum that they can supply them with or without stands for £1200/£1000 respectively.

14. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw a set of these in my local Sevenoaks store today and they look great. The stands have a small footprint which makes the whole system look a lot neater. Weirdly though, you get a single cable that connects your amp to the sub and then all the satellites connect to the sub...

I'm going to organise a listening session so I can trial the Mcubes, KEF Eggs and MS Genies. I realise there is about £400 price range there but the mcubes look the best and please the GF the most. It just remains to be seen if they sounds like they cost £1k...!

The Mission site for the speakers is crap - all you can do is a request a brochure. There isn't even any technical data available. Also, there are not many reviews around on the net yet.

15. eklektofonic

eklektofonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of buzz about these speakers....

I received a catalogue the other day and it's OK but still quite minimalist. Does anyone know if the stands incorporate cable management?

16. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep - the cable is routed through the middle of the stands.

17. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi all,

I have had these speakers foe about a month now and imho they sound superb given their size they are and especially excel with movies (Connected to a yammy 750 se). I purchased mine without the stands for £999.

The only things that I would count against the cubes is the fact that as has been mentioned earlier the sub connects to the amp with a single cable with the speakers connecting into the sub this cable is fairly short meaning the sub has to be situated near the amp.

But if you have £1000/1200 burning a hole in your pocket I wouldn't hesitate in buying these over the eggs/Genies.

18. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But over the new Tannoy Arena's which are the same sort of money ?

19. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the info KAZER. What amp have you got driving them?

Also, if you wouldn't mind could you post a picture of the speakers in situ?

Cheers!

20. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Vonhosen

I must admit that I haven't ever heard the Tannoys, oh well to late now all I know is that I am more than happy with the missions. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has auditioned both though.

Johnrevill

I am running the cubes of a Yamaha 750se and I will try and get some pictures on the site soon however I don't have a digital camera so I will have to borrow one before I can do this. :suicide:

21. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's the main thing , but you better not go listen to them incase you think they are better :D

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has heard both. (The Tannoy's get a pretty good review in HCC this month)

22. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No-one seems to have the Tannoys on sale yet, so there won't be much feedback... I heard them at the Bristol show and was pretty impressed - music had a lot of presence, but then it was their demo.

I'd love to like the M-Cubes, as the WAF is strong with them, but I just can't believe that they've managed to suspend the laws of physics with such a high crossover, like **cough**bose**cough**... :)

23. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Tannoys are supposed to be rolling out this month I think, certainly a few internet dealers are advertising them.