1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M-Cube - which amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bluezorro, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bluezorro

bluezorro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I combine Mission M-Cube Speakers with the Denon AVR 1905 Amp, or is this like putting a good champagne in a plastic cup?

2. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with good champagne in plastic cups. You should be fine with 1905 but 2105 has easier, michrophone assisted set up, might be worth stretching to it. I don't think it'd be worth spending more for 2805 - whatever the mags say. 2105 is Excellent amp which I used with my Genies before taking them back as sub was faulty. Will probably now go with Cubes after audition. Did you audition both? Cubes weren't out when I bought duff Genies.

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've heard them with my Denon 3805, as was not impressed at all - the music was very 'dead' and almost slightly muffled, seemed a bit too boomy as well. I don't think the warmth of a denon amp really suits them (at least to my cloth ears, it could of been the way they were set up). Maybe try a Pio, which is much brighter?

4. bluezorro

bluezorro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fellas. I now have a bit of a dilema. I will obviously go and listen before I purchase, but should I consider getting different speakers to match the amp, or keep the outstanding M-Cube speakers (I really want these small speakers), or try to find another amp for about £200 - £300?

5. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I REALLY REALLY wanted the cube speakers and I kind of still do, so I sympathise with you. I ended up with the Genie's as for music they blew the cubes away, but again this was only because I had a Denon. Have a read of What HiFi this month (i think it's that mag anyway) as they have a round up of speaker packages including the cubes and genie's and many more. It would be a shame to change your amp, as the Denon you have is a fine machine.

It might just be my ears as every other review of the cubes has been a great one (although the What HiFi review did mention a slight lacking when it came to music).

So there you go - i've probably been no help at all! If I can offer any advice at all, sometimes in the world of AV despite what the mags say, despite what your ears say, you have to end up going with what your heart says - and those cubes are damn nice...

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    mystic smeg says "i see potential upgrades ahead.... bringing pain and a heavy funding crisis"!