Mission LX-2 vs Wharfedale diamond 220

Mark Abram

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, please forgive me if I offend anyone or tread on anybodies toes as I know there are specific rules/etiquette when it comes to posting in online forums. You can probably guess that this is my first post, anyhow, enough of the waffling!!

Current system:

Denon PMA-30 amp (Bluetooth)
Sony Xperia XA2 smartphone used as source via Bluetooth)
Monitor Audio Bronze BR1 speakers

I recently destroyed my Marantz cd player-been in the loft for a few years, got it down when it was freezing up there into a warm living room and played it without thinking it would create internal condensation and bugger the lens completely (gutted)!! Anyway besides the point I use Tidal/Qobuz for Hi-Res downloading which I like as of course you've practically got every album out there at your fingertips therefore I'm happy to go without a cd player for the time being.

Anyhow can anyone advise if the Missions' and Wharfedales' would be an improvement over my small MA Bronze 1's? And If so which is the better loudspeaker in your opinion?

I listen to a real mixed bag of stuff from old soul and Motown classics (Harold Melvin/Al Green/Smokey Robinson/Marvin Gaye) to 70's/80's pop and rock (u2/Simple Minds/Talking Heads/Genesis/Roxy Music) also more modern stuff (like the chemical brothers/ Calvin Harris/Jess Glynne/Paloma Faith/Richard Ashcroft/Noel Gallagher)

I'd thoroughly appreciate any advice

Cheers

Mark

Ok.. the PMA is 25w/c at 8ohm... and that is a bit over specced if you ask me. prob nearer the 20W more realistically.. If you liked the B1's ... stay with the MA and up to the B2 .. huge improvement all round over the B1 yet retaining that classic MA sound. Given the denons are quite bright.. just note the B2 is a bit edgy with voices at power...

Another one to have a listen too in this Mission / Wharfedale / MA Bronze bracket for sound quality is the Cambridge Audio SX-50. Lovely lil speaker.. bit fussy on positioning due to port and cabinet size to avoid bloat/thin but get it right and they're a good all rounder

Last edited:
I think bypassing your Bluetooth route for your hi res stuff would be a better improvement than changing your speakers

Thanks for your replies fellas-much appreciated. Muljao pal-please can you advise how to bypass the Bluetooth for my high-res files with tidal and qobuz -I'd love to explore the possibility! Please don't forget my source is my smartphone (bluetooth) and the denon amp is aptx compatible. Orobas, I'll certainly look into the Cambridge audios, thanks again

Firstly is your phone also aptx as both need to be to get the benefits.

Do you have internet in your house or are you just using your phone internet?

If you have internet a streamer would be the way I'd go. Look into the Teufal Connector or similar, you basically are not compressing your music at all if you do it over WiFi, unlike Bluetooth

Hi Muljao, thanks for the advice. My smartphone supports aptx low latency Hi-Res files (when I connect with the denon amp my phone advises me that it's connected to a device that supports BT aptx). I tend to download my albums via my home wi-fi connection to my phone via qobuz/tidal with 24 Bit/up to 192 kHz quality files. In your opinion is this Hi-Res (the recordings sound very crisp, clear and punchy to my untrained ear!!

Cheers

Mark!!

AFAIK if both are aptx you will be getting superb quality so maybe speakers so are the way to go

At the moment Richer sounds are selling Cambridge audio sx60 speakers for 129 pounds I think. If you have room for them I'd add then to shortlist, I had the sx50, lovely speaker, the 60 is the bigger brother, easy to drive etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom