1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Mission" Impossible?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Juzminator, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey guys - could really do with some help here.

I'm replacing my Yamaha VS-10 all-in-one package with a Yammy RX-V740RDS that's now sat in its box for the last 2 months.

I need some speakers to go with it, as the VS-10 ones only work with the amp that came with them.

I, personally would like either the Monitor Audio B2 package, or the Wharfedale Diamond 8 Screen 3/4 packages, but the wife wants something that looks like the Mission FS1 6.1 A/V pack. I prefer full range speakers (or as near as dammit) as you can tell.

Now - I'm not so sure that this pack is the best suited to get the most out of my shiny new amp (mainly cos the satellites only go down to 265hz, and the amp sends everything below 90hz to the sub, so surely there's a rather large "gap" in the soundstage?) but she's adamant that this is precisely the kind of thing that's "acceptable" for the lounge.

The budget is £500 (not a penny more), and I've seen Kef 2005.2's advertised for under this (which would be my choice if I had to go for little sats and a sub).

So - the question is this: Is there anything that looks like the Mission pack that sounds really respectable (decent range in other words) for £500? Or, are these Missions really fabulous bits of kit? Any other suggestions much appreciated.

No talk of saving up, and delaying this, that and the other to get blah blah blah as I've had to sit and stare at a brand new amp sitting in its box for ages. :suicide:

HELP! :eek:

EDIT: Forgot to add that this will be used primarily for watching movies, but I do like to listen to quite a bit of music, too (hence why I wanted full-range speakers).

2. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juz,

Couple of points:

- You mention the restriction on sat low frequency. The sats are wired via the sub and the sub goes up to 195 Hz, so the gap is about 70Hz
    - The price you are looking at is quite high. The 5.1 system can be had for £290 from Empire Direct or the 6.1 system for £350 from Leading Edge Concepts

To be honest, whilst the flat panels are good and disperse much wider than traditional speakers, if you've got the space for proper air shifters I would go for the Kef eggs.

Take it Easy.

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the response, Easy. :)

Now - this may sound like the dumbest of all dumb questions, but, if the sats are wired via the sub, then am I actually "gaining" anything by having a (for me) fairly expensive amp? The reason I ask is cos the Yamaha VS-10 system I've got runs some speakers from the sub and some from the amp, and I kinda thought that when I went up in the world of HC that all the speakers would be wired to the amp.

:confused:

4. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juz,

The FS1's are wired via the sub so that the sub can pick out the sound between your crossover setting and 265Hz and direct this (unamplified) to the subwoofer. The amplifier in the sub will only amplify the LFE connection. You are therefore getting the benefit of the Yamaha amplification, the sub is just directing some to the subwoofer and some to the sat.

Easy

5. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Uh...I think I understand dude.

That's the problem with being a bit on the thick side - everything tends to fly over one's head :blush:

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    For £500 you could get some B&W 600 S3's in sorrento finish. They'll give you the frequency range you require and hopefully keep the better half happy since they look lovely. see here:-

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range 600 Series 3

they offer good bass and will tide you over till you save up some more money for a subwoofer. I had the 602's coupled with the lrc60 for the front sound stage that coped with music superbly as well as movie soundtracks:)

I'd at least add them to your audition list and possibly these too:-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1309

or even the mission m3x range.:smashin:

7. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,

Excuse me if this goes to basic but:

1. Soundtrack off your DVD is sent to your AV amp using the digital connection.
    2. The amp splits this into [upto] 7 channels (Left, Right, Centre, Surround Left, Surround Right, Rear Left and Rear Right) which it amplifies and a single channel that it doesn't amplify (the .1 for Low Frequency Effects). The FS1 system you were looking at was 6.1 and so you would just have a Rear Centre instead of Rear Left and Rear Right.
    3. If you have your speakers set to small then your amp will also direct anything below your crossover setting (typically 80Hz) to the .1 unamplified as well.
    4. The 6/7 channels are sent to the speakers as high level signals with enough power to move the cones (or excite the sound panels in the FS1's). The .1 channel is a low level signal and it is sent to the active sub (i.e. has an internal amplifier) for it to be amplified and output via the woofer.
    Basically the sub is amplified indepently as it takes a large amount of power to produce those low level sounds.

The FS1 system has an extra step whereby the high level signals for the 6/7 channels are split again and everything below 265HZ are sent to the sub unamplified (as it is already an amplified signal) and the rest is passed on to the sats.

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I didn't really like the FS1, much prefered the Kef KHT 1005's which are the small brothers of the "eggs".

5.1 of the 1005 can be had for £389 on hi-spek.co.uk

9. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks for all the replies :smashin:

Right - here's the rub: these speakers are going to be a present from the missus to me. I have no money of my own, so, like I said - £500 is pretty much it, and no chance to add to the system for the forseeable future, so it has to be as complete a system as possible in one hit.

Hawk: the B&W's would go way over budget, plus I'd not have a sub, PLUS they're simply not what she'd regard as "smart". The Kef Coda package you linked to would make me a happy bunny in the extreme, as it's precisely what I'd want - unfortunately, yet again, it's nowhere near small enough for her tastes. :suicide:

Darth: had a look at those 1005's, and I just know that they won't be as appealing as the 2005 eggs - but thanks for the info anyway dude :)

So...I'm pretty much back at square one, with not that many people thinking that the Missions are all that in comparison with other sub/sat packs. I looked at the JMLabs Sim/Cub package, but, yet again, they're not "smart" enough for 'er indoors.

Thanks to Hawk's link to Superfi, I've seen the 2005's at £499 - however, this only applies to in store customers, and that just ain't possible for me, as the shops are just too far away. Hyperfi have allegedly got the 2005's for £399, but it says "no mail order" and "B-stock" after them (does that mean they're marked, or just "seconds"?), so it doesn't look like I can get em from there, either.

TBH - I'm getting pretty ****** off as I know exactly what I'd want, but am constantly stymied by someone (Gawd love her) who values aesthetics over performance at every step of the way.

So - can anyone find me the 2005's at under £500 somewhere where I can actually order them online? Or has anyone else got any other alternatives?

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Go demo......and take your wife with you. Make a day of it. Get her to listen to the differences between Sats and good (small) bookshelf speakers - it's usually night and day. When my wife joined me for a speaker demo, she was well pleased with herself when she realised there was a difference and could chose the best-sounding set herself. Her ears may just overrule her eyes and you will end up with the speakers you really want.

It's her money, so if you get the missus involved in the purchase, you'll have more chance to compromise on the quality/size issue. Women love shopping.........:)

11. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lol @ Nobber.

I hate to poo-poo that idea, but the chances of her even entertaining the thought of auditioning speakers, let alone doing it are less than minimal - this holds precisely zero interest to her.

She knows that the smaller speakers won't sound as good, yet wants them cos they look nicer - that's female logic in full effect. Given enough time, I guess I could make her come around to the inevitable, but I just don't feel like having that kind of on-going battle. I've already told her the benefits that bookshelf/floorstanding speaks would have over sats/sub especially for musical listening, and I know that she believes me....but no deal.

12. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd say that she's more than aware that it means something to me, which is what it does; it's hardly life and death though. I just want to get the best value for money for her as much as me.

EDIT: How strange: IanJ's post has just disappeared, which is what this one was in reply to.

13. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I'd shown her those other Blueroom speakers (the minipods?) purely for comparison and she thought they looked naff, but I'll show her those that you linked to. They supposed to be any good, or is it really a case of style over substance like you said?

EDIT: Just looking at them some more, I think I know that she'll dislike them.

Sorry for all the messing around guys - maybe it's time this thread died, as I think I'm in a bit of a catch-22 situation. :(

15. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey don't just give up! The Mission's are really quite good for what they are(awards and reviews).

Tell you what, why don't you find somewhere to listen to them, you might be quite surprised at what you hear!!!

Alternatively you'll just have to wait until someone sells some eggs secondhand.