Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Excellent movie!
Excellent a/v presentation!
Excellent review! THANKS! :smashin:

Great review. Great Film.

Cruise may be mental, but my goodness it means he gives his all to these films.

This is the film that Spectre should have been.

After watching yet another expose of Scientology and Cruises involvement in it, I vowed to stop watching his films but yet again I succumbed, the guy just makes great movies from Risky Business and Top Gun onwards :)... but definitely a nutter :laugh:

Was not too fussed on numbers 2 and 3 but this one and the last were fantastic........

After watching yet another expose of Scientology and Cruises involvement in it, I vowed to stop watching his films but yet again I succumbed, the guy just makes great movies from Risky Business and Top Gun onwards :)... but definitely a nutter :laugh:

Was not too fussed on numbers 2 and 3 but this one and the last were fantastic........
Yeah went off him big time after his Oprah incident and subsequent divorce rumours with Katie. However, I don't think he's ever done a film for the paycheque, and i can only revel in his passion for doing his own stunt on an absurd level and that this film was made when is is over 50. Crazy.

Oh that and I frick'n loved Edge Of Tomorrow.

Great film, Great review, Enough said! Buy it!

I was in HMV and looked at the new boxset with all 5 Mission Impossible movies and only the last two have the lossless audio. Pity.

can rogue nation be watched as a single entity .. ie i dont have to have seen the other movies in the franchise to follow whats going on with this one? is the movie self contained?

can rogue nation be watched as a single entity .. ie i dont have to have seen the other movies in the franchise to follow whats going on with this one? is the movie self contained?

You should be fine just knowing the basics.. We learn so little about Cruise character, Ethan Hunt, over the films that I'm still convinced that he's a double agent.

Best one of the five,can't wait for the sixth

It's self contained, but most of his supporting team were introduced in earlier films so there's not much explanation as to who they are if you're a newcomer.

I'm glad you mentioned the colours. I also felt they were a tad 'hot' in the Morocco scenes.

Regarding the sound, reference quality in my book. I've come to the conclusion the Dolby Atmos releases on BD 'when played through non Atmos set ups' are 'louder' at any given volume.

On my system, I can easily listen to non Atmos discs at 5db below reference. On Atmos mixes, I find that I have to lower the volume a tad otherwise it is too loud for my liking.

I found it to be the same on John Wick, MI5 and Unbroken. Does anybody else (with non Atmos systems) feel the same way on the MI5 disc?

I am not one of the 37 people in the UK who have gone for Atmos :p and I have no intention to do so. Atmos in the cinema is not the same as Atmos in the home.

5.1 done well is way better than Atmos done badly (flame suit on:D).

ATMOS soundtracks are very aggressive on my system. I too turn the volume down by around 5db.

I'm glad you mentioned the colours. I also felt they were a tad 'hot' in the Morocco scenes.

Regarding the sound, reference quality in my book. I've come to the conclusion the Dolby Atmos releases on BD 'when played through non Atmos set ups' are 'louder' at any given volume.

On my system, I can easily listen to non Atmos discs at 5db below reference. On Atmos mixes, I find that I have to lower the volume a tad otherwise it is too loud for my liking.

I found it to be the same on John Wick, MI5 and Unbroken. Does anybody else (with non Atmos systems) feel the same way on the MI5 disc?

I am not one of the 37 people in the UK who have gone for Atmos :p and I have no intention to do so. Atmos in the cinema is not the same as Atmos in the home.

5.1 done well is way better than Atmos done badly (flame suit on:D).

Hi Mahmood, hope you're good :thumbsup:

I'd agree with you that Atmos at home isn't the same as it is in the cinema, but do you not think the domestic Atmos would potentially provide a more immersive experience? All things being equal if you had a decent 5/7.1 mix with the added meta data..you wouldn't be losing anything, but just building on the audio experience?

To me, immersive audio is still in its infancy and will be for a while. I think once UHD has been out a while..and the mixers have got a good grip of things, then we'll see what immersive audio has to offer.

I went from a 7.1 to a 5.1.2. Atmos setup and noticed the immersive difference straight away, it's sounds great imo and just about every atmos blu ray I have watched ( nearly) have been stonking, the soundtracks are so dynamic. Can't wait to purchase MI5

Hi Mahmood, hope you're good :thumbsup:

I'd agree with you that Atmos at home isn't the same as it is in the cinema, but do you not think the domestic Atmos would potentially provide a more immersive experience? All things being equal if you had a decent 5/7.1 mix with the added meta data..you wouldn't be losing anything, but just building on the audio experience?

To me, immersive audio is still in its infancy and will be for a while. I think once UHD has been out a while..and the mixers have got a good grip of things, then we'll see what immersive audio has to offer.

Hi Sammy

Been a while dood!

I think the key word you have mentioned is 'potentially'.

Let's face it, only die hard home cinema fans will go for this type of upgrade. Agree that with a decent 5.1 or 7.1 system, then you will not lose anything with an Atmos mix.

What I do like about Atmos for the home is that an Atmos mix will fold down to a 7.1 set up for movies. So the distributor does not have to chose what mix goes on the BD. So if someone has a 7.1 system, then they will hear a 7.1 'down mix' from the Atmos mix so to speak - like Gravity.

I'm not convinced with Dolby Surround upmixing of standard non Atmos mixes either. Give me a 'straight' channel based mix every time. Yamaha have been doing this type of jiggery pokery for years and when I had Yamaha in the past, it did not convince me then either.

If having an Atmos mix on a movie also enhances the sound for the non Atmos equipped system with a better audio 'presentation' - then it's a win win for everyone.

For me, a decent room Eq system like Audyssey Pro was a more worthwhile and cheaper upgrade - and I got to keep the ceiling in one piece :)

Coming back to MI5, after this installment, one has to wonder what the hell they will come up with next. Roll on the next one!!

When I saw this movie in Imax, I hoped that Spectre would be as good as this or better. But MI5 proved to be a better movie with better stunts and better sound.

Hi Sammy

Been a while dood!

I think the key word you have mentioned is 'potentially'.

Let's face it, only die hard home cinema fans will go for this type of upgrade. Agree that with a decent 5.1 or 7.1 system, then you will not lose anything with an Atmos mix.

What I do like about Atmos for the home is that an Atmos mix will fold down to a 7.1 set up for movies. So the distributor does not have to chose what mix goes on the BD. So if someone has a 7.1 system, then they will hear a 7.1 'down mix' from the Atmos mix so to speak - like Gravity.

I'm not convinced with Dolby Surround upmixing of standard non Atmos mixes either. Give me a 'straight' channel based mix every time. Yamaha have been doing this type of jiggery pokery for years and when I had Yamaha in the past, it did not convince me then either.

If having an Atmos mix on a movie also enhances the sound for the non Atmos equipped system with a better audio 'presentation' - then it's a win win for everyone.

For me, a decent room Eq system like Audyssey Pro was a more worthwhile and cheaper upgrade - and I got to keep the ceiling in one piece :)

Coming back to MI5, after this installment, one has to wonder what the hell they will come up with next. Roll on the next one!!

When I saw this movie in Imax, I hoped that Spectre would be as good as this or better. But MI5 proved to be a better movie with better stunts and better sound.

It's been a while Sir!

You're correct with a number of the points you've made. Atmos is likely to be a niche in an already niche market.

Also, youre correct with the fold down aspect..so even if you don't have atmos, you don't lose the audio, just the placement of the sounds.

I've not been to keen on DolbySurround with my limited marantz experience, I much preferred the Auro upmixer.

I personally think Audyssey have been left behind and that Arc from Anthem and Dirac are streets ahead. With Dirac now being available in its own dedicated units- there's plenty of flexibility as well.

As much as I enjoyed Mission 5, I preferred 4. I also preferred the fact that parts of 4 were shot in IMAX. The aeroplane scene was a bit fuzzy at the IMAX. I think the impact would have been greater had they managed to rig up one of the new smaller Digital IMAX cameras (if they were available)..and maybe worked that scene into a more crucial part of the film?

Not sure where they'll go with the 6th? Space? Bond style?

As much as I enjoyed Mission 5, I preferred 4. I also preferred the fact that parts of 4 were shot in IMAX. The aeroplane scene was a bit fuzzy at the IMAX. I think the impact would have been greater had they managed to rig up one of the new smaller Digital IMAX cameras (if they were available)..and maybe worked that scene into a more crucial part of the film?

Chris McQuarrie is not a fan of shooting digitally sadly and because Rogue Nation's original release date was in the shadow of Star Wars, they never shot in the IMAX format since Disney had booked all the IMAX screens for Force Awakens. Shame, as it would have been amazing in IMAX. Hopefully in the 6th installment they will go 65mm or IMAX for the action scenes.

Chris McQuarrie is not a fan of shooting digitally sadly and because Rogue Nation's original release date was in the shadow of Star Wars, they never shot in the IMAX format since Disney had booked all the IMAX screens for Force Awakens. Shame, as it would have been amazing in IMAX. Hopefully in the 6th installment they will go 65mm or IMAX for the action scenes.

That's a shame then. I think they should make a point of using the IMAX cameras in future for all the mission flicks, for the stunt scenes because they'll obviously be trying to outdo each previous flick.

Loved the film - saw it at IMAX as well.

As for Atmos - went to an Atmos setup at home for a while and didn't like it too much. Have never experienced Atmos in the cinema as my local Cineworld went for 4DX over Atmos when they re-vamped one of their screens...I have since gone back to 7.1 with a Pioneer SC-LX77 that I got from a store ex service (brand new with stickers on and sealed bags) for less than £500 and the upper end Pioneer outdoes the mid range Atmos setup I had in every department - including playing Atmos tracks a lot louder!

Loved the film - saw it at IMAX as well.

As for Atmos - went to an Atmos setup at home for a while and didn't like it too much. Have never experienced Atmos in the cinema as my local Cineworld went for 4DX over Atmos when they re-vamped one of their screens...I have since gone back to 7.1 with a Pioneer SC-LX77 that I got from a store ex service (brand new with stickers on and sealed bags) for less than £500 and the upper end Pioneer outdoes the mid range Atmos setup I had in every department - including playing Atmos tracks a lot louder!

What happens if you go with with an upper end Pioneer that does Atmos?

The debate I'm finding myself in with folks is that a good atmos setup simply compliments and cements a good 7.1 setup. If it doesn't, then it's likely a system or setup issue. There's no reason why something should be taken away when a 7.1 setup is notched up to an Atmos ready setup.

Last edited:
I spoke to a guy that installs cinemas (commercial - not home) for a living and he said that the average living room ceiling in the UK is not high enough to make Atmos work properly. Also, 4 speakers arent enough. I tried it and didn't like it though I only had a 5.1.2 setup that was at the bottom end of the Atmos range.

I spoke to a guy that installs cinemas (commercial - not home) for a living and he said that the average living room ceiling in the UK is not high enough to make Atmos work properly. Also, 4 speakers arent enough. I tried it and didn't like it though I only had a 5.1.2 setup that was at the bottom end of the Atmos range.

If you tried it and didn't like it, that's fair enough mate...no one can argue with your thoughts on your own personal experience..

Your friend should have told you that domestic Atmos is specifically adapted for the home, its not the same as commercial Atmos. As such, Dolby have specific guidelines for domestic Atmos to enable it to be as effective as possible. In short, I disagree completely with your friend :thumbsup:

Can we get back to talking about Mission Impossible please? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom