1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission impossible? Net access to PVR ...

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Laskina, Sep 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an idea and wondered if you could tell me I am in cloud cuckoo land :)

My wife wants to record TV from her home country (outside of Europe) and watch it here in the UK. Now we are doing this at the moment via video cassettes being shipped in and £40 a month satellite. But I am thinking there must be a better/cheaper way.

Now, I had looked at slingbox (http://www.slingmedia.com/) but I dont think it is suitable.

So, can I set up a PVR or a HDD recorder in her home country, connect it to the internet and then access the PVR via a computer in the UK to program and DOWNLOAD the content of the PVR. That way my wife can program it to record the TV she wants and then download it to her computer and watch it when she wants?

Possible?

Cheers

Nick

2. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
  3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I am going to get one of these in the next few months and use it with my UK TiVo.
    Will let you know how good it is.

4. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ithink this may be a limitation "(Higher Upstream Speed Recommended)" to get high speed here can be quite expensive - I think UKonline who offer 8mb broadband only give something like 512K max upload speed - so you may want to get a answer on the best speed for streaming good quality video.

5. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your advice (present and future) guys :)

the pc as a pvr + ftp sounds like a simple route - just got to work out the best way to control the pvr software remotely ....

nick

6. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i wonder if PCanywhere would help here - getting a bit complicated now I guess :) :)
    also XP has remote capability however, i think it needs to be initatied on remote PC to work

7. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow pcanywhere - theres a blast from the past :)

running XP is a good idea - but like you side its getting complicated. plus looking at the file sizes for the recordings i think a 500mb download for a 30min low quality video isnt worth it :/

thanks for the advice all.

nick

8. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    its not so much the download its the upload at the other end that will be the limiter. but i dont know video very well - but you wont be watching if you copy the file across maybe overnight & then once copied you could watch

9. gazzerdaman

gazzerdaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Log Me In would allow you to remotely control the PVR if its a PC running Windows