Mission: Impossible III 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Is anyone else also wearying of the M:I franchise? I've seen the trailer for the new one any number of times and all I see is increasingly more complex, frenetic and expensive stunts, and not a single bit of suspense because is Tom Cruise's character going to be in any real danger? I'll go see it but it's now a "Just because" instead of having an actual reason.

I initially bought a cheapo DVD boxset just to watch the three films and see how I got on with them.

The first was okay, only really memorable for the dangling-on-a-wire sequence.

I can't really remember the second apart from a fight scene near the end between Tom and Dougray that seemed to go on forever! Oh, and the hilarious DVD extra featuring Ben Stiller.

But this is the one that stood out a mile for me. The intro made me jump off the sofa and I loved the chase sequences and stunt work. The pacing was tremendous and I found it genuinely exciting and thrilling.

I can't remember much about "Ghost Protocol" other than when they're rammed suddenly in the van - that made me jump! And I still haven't watched "Rogue Nation".:blush:

The films have very high production values and it's interesting in having a different director and a different "look" for each instalment, but they're also curiously disposable. They literally are the definition of "popcorn movie" and there is a real danger of the franchise just simply running out of steam.

Is anyone else also wearying of the M:I franchise? I've seen the trailer for the new one any number of times and all I see is increasingly more complex, frenetic and expensive stunts, and not a single bit of suspense because is Tom Cruise's character going to be in any real danger? I'll go see it but it's now a "Just because" instead of having an actual reason.

I love the MI films! What gets my goat is the trailers that show the whole bloody film...

I love the MI films! What gets my goat is the trailers that show the whole bloody film...

...and the opening ruddy credits.... i know its meant as a throw back to the TV series but its a bit of a spoiler for the movie youre currently watching... annoying..

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I saw the latest trailer this evening and, barring any twists in the film itself, it gives it all away.

I stopped watching after the third film, which is my favorite. The idea was that each film would have it's own identity due to the different directors, but beyond the third they appeared all identikit action movies concentrating on bigger action instead of unique directorial flavors, and appear generic because it.

Last edited:
I stopped watching after the third film, which is my favorite. The idea was that each film would have it's own identity due to the different directors, but beyond the third they appeared all identikit action movies concentrating on bigger action instead of unique directorial flavors, and appear generic because it.

You are missing out.... both 4 and 5, whilst having a big set piece, are still excellent movies.

@Casimir Harlow

Good fair review Cas.

Just completed this one last night & agree the opener is just tremendous ! So incredibly tense & nerve jaringly so o_O

Good enjoyable film though & I really do enjoy the Bridge scene :cool:

Onto 4 tonight :smashin:

Few days back I watched this again and man was I wrong with my initial assessment. This delivers HDR in spades which makes a huge difference over the the BD. Nice to revisit and be pleasantly surprised on subsequent viewing.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom