Mission: Impossible II 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Dixie4

Another great review, Cass. ( but is "besting" a word ?? "Beating" ? ) Only watched part of this yet, so will enjoy when i can relax & watch it through.

Evinger

Gambit1977

Good review but awful, awful film.
3 is probably still my favourite, with 5,1,4 then 2 way back.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
best

bɛst/
verb
informal
gerund or present participle: besting
  1. outwit or get the better of (someone).
    "she refused to allow herself to be bested"
    synonyms: defeat, beat, get the better of, gain the advantage over, get the upper hand over, outdo, outwit, outsmart, worst, be more than a match for, prevail over, conquer, vanquish, trounce, triumph over; More

brian s

Distinguished Member
Nice review Cas. One thing though I'd say it's a rip off of Notorious rather than being inspired by that film. My wife was really annoyed with that aspect and often has a rant about it.

Bri

Dixie4

best

bɛst/:)
verb
informal
gerund or present participle: besting
  1. outwit or get the better of (someone).
    "she refused to allow herself to be bested"
    synonyms: defeat, beat, get the better of, gain the advantage over, get the upper hand over, outdo, outwit, outsmart, worst, be more than a match for, prevail over, conquer, vanquish, trounce, triumph over; More
Thanks, Cass. I did know it was a word, but i think "Beating", would be better. :)

Graham

I always loved the ‘Mission: Improbable’ extra on the DVD, with Ben Stiller and Tom Cruise hamming it up as stuntman and star respectively. Brilliant ending to it too.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
This is an OTT action classic (I love Broken Arrow as well!) , the others are more spy/thriller territory. Can’t wait to see it in 4K.

Evinger

This is an OTT action classic (I love Broken Arrow as well!) , the others are more spy/thriller territory. Can’t wait to see it in 4K.
Forgotten about Broken Arrow - comes under "a guilty pleasure" - may even have it as a DVD. Hmm, time to clear out the cupboard :eek:

Jonnyb320

Amazon have the box set for £69 for those that cant get it from HMV

GAmbrose

Good review but awful, awful film.
3 is probably still my favourite, with 5,1,4 then 2 way back.
Agreed

Prior to the release of MI5 in 2016, I watched the first 4 on Blu-ray and MI2 is dire really.

The whole thing is a confused mess, I don't think there's as much action as people have made out (until maybe the end). Dougrey Scott is awful (A 6' Scottish man pretending to be a 5'6" American?). Anthony Hopkins 3 minute cameo is the only real good thing about it.

I'd say 3,5,1,4......................................2

jamiey

Agreed

Prior to the release of MI5 in 2016, I watched the first 4 on Blu-ray and MI2 is dire really.

The whole thing is a confused mess, I don't think there's as much action as people have made out (until maybe the end). Dougrey Scott is awful (A 6' Scottish man pretending to be a 5'6" American?). Anthony Hopkins 3 minute cameo is the only real good thing about it.

I'd say 3,5,1,4......................................2
I remember walking out of the old Edinburgh Odeon having watched this and overhearing someone complaining about Dougray Scott's "crap unconvincing Scottish accent"...

Ummm.......... Perhaps they hadn't encountered anyone from Dunfermline...

NinjaMonkeyUK

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Because he's Hunt's double.

I know: it's tenuous. They have devices to change their voices so the accent makes no odds, and I don't think Cruise is playing a 5'6" character even if that's the actor's height (lifts etc).

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Exactly, at one point the movie states that Dougrey Scott's character has doubled for Ethan Hunt on more than one occasion.
Sorry mate, my point was that if he's got a voice modifier, and if the person he's supposed to be doubling is supposed to be, say 5'10" (even if the actor isn't, the character is), I can't really see why it makes any difference if he's a couple of inches taller and Scottish?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Eh? When has it been established that Ethan Hunt is 3" taller than Tom Cruise?
By implication of the fact that all of the actors/actresses he plays against look shorter than (or at least no taller than) him. As with Casablanca, mentioned above, this kind of thing is not uncommon. Tom Cruise isn't playing a 5'6" character, which I thought would have been obvious (Rebecca Ferguson is 5'7" for starters - see photo). So having Cruise playing a few inches taller and Scott play a couple of inches shorter makes the disparity non-existent.

Hell even their final fight scene together doesn't really reveal this (perhaps they dug a trench in the sand).

Attachments