Mission: Impossible (Extreme Collection) Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 20th December 2011.
On the eve of the release of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol we take a look back at the three previous instalments, starting with this, the Brian De Palma-flavoured first movie. Controversially jettisoning the founding principles of the original TV series, and opting instead for something of a solo-driven globetrotting spy thriller in the mould of Bond, there’s no doubt that – for good or for bad – this was the first step towards what would soon be regarded as Tom Cruise’s Mission: Impossible series. Irrespective of its slights towards the classic TV series, however, there’s no denying that this is a smart, tense, innovative and unpredictable (first time around) spy thriller peppered with famous faces, snappy dialogue and memorable stunts and driven by Cruise's efforts both on and off-camera. And whilst many likely forgive the dispatching of the classic Mission: Impossible team at the outset, few likely forget the stunning suspended-from-the-ceiling set-piece at the heart of this quality summer Blockbuster.

Released as part of Paramount’s purportedly new Extreme Trilogy Collection, this is just the same old Blu-ray recycled in new packaging, with exactly the same disappointing video and limited standard Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, as well as all the same extras. It wasn’t much of an upgrade from DVD back when it was first released, and it’s not much of an upgrade now, but it’s still the best you can get short of forking out for the expensive-but-superior Japanese set. Certainly there’s no doubt that this release is still good value, and this film is a very good start to a series of undeniably entertaining blockbuster spy-action-thrillers; films that you really ought to have in your collection.

Read the full review...

BRW

Novice Member
This looks to be a very low scoring release, but quite cheap so may still be tempted to replace my dvds.

Thanks for another thorough 'retrospective'. I think I still favour the first movie over the others but have never really regarded them to be in the same league as Bond or Bourne though. However reading your review's certainly got me in the mood to watch them again.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
This looks to be a very low scoring release, but quite cheap so may still be tempted to replace my dvds.

Thanks for another thorough 'retrospective'. I think I still favour the first movie over the others but have never really regarded them to be in the same league as Bond or Bourne though. However reading your review's certainly got me in the mood to watch them again.

Yes, if you can't wait / don't want to pay for the Japanese set then this is a good value option to go for, irrespective of the problems.

Glad you liked the review :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments, Cas

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom