Mission: Impossible 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Excellent review Cas. I see that my iTunes version has been upgraded to 4K DV to I'll need to revisit the film, which for me, is still the best in the series.

I really wish Paramount had got the clip from the terrific De Palma documentary about this film. Cruise and Towne yelling at de Palma because he wanted an action scene on top of the train which they hated the idea of. Very happy that de Palma got his way, as it still stands up as being a great set piece all these years later.

You can get all the 5 movies on itunes in 4K DV for £25 why would anyone pay £80 for this is beyond me.

You can get all the 5 movies on itunes in 4K DV for £25 why would anyone pay £80 for this is beyond me.
I know it’s a steep price but there are some, like myself, who want the best picture and sound with no compromises. I also prefer to have a physical copy, Just my two cents.
Thanks for the review and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

I know it’s a steep price but there are some, like myself, who want the best picture and sound with no compromises. I also prefer to have a physical copy, Just my two cents.
Thanks for the review and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Same here,not even got Apple 4K & £69.99 for five UHD 4K imo is not a bad price :smashin:

Because
a) We hate Apple
b) Do not want to get locked into a digital restrictive ecosystem for purchased content
c) We don't like Apple
d) Prefer the best possible quality, disc media is still far superior to compressed audio/video streams
e) Detest Apple
f) Prefer a premium quality, 100% reliable hardware delivery chain to a display, and configurations that allows

In fairness Apple's auto upgrade to UHD for purchased content was very commendable. I also think only a true fan would buy these at RRP on day of release. People that have previous media releases and want to upgrade at some point would wait awhile for a price-drop.

Slight off-topic but I see you used the LG UP970. Really tempted to pick this player up for the Mission Impossible set and my other DV discs. How is the player holding up since the firmware issues were resolved? I've heard a lot of horror stories but it seems to be the cheapest way, by some margin, to play DV discs.

Same here,not even got Apple 4K & £69.99 for five UHD 4K imo is not a bad price :smashin:

Where is it £69.99 out of interest? I'm looking to buy this set.

Thanks, out of stock so will take a wonder down my local one.

Thanks Cas for another great review. :thumbsup:
Slight off-topic but I see you used the LG UP970. Really tempted to pick this player up for the Mission Impossible set and my other DV discs. How is the player holding up since the firmware issues were resolved? I've heard a lot of horror stories but it seems to be the cheapest way, by some margin, to play DV discs.

I have exactly this LG TV & Player - my UP970 works fine & the picture quality from it is perfect IMO. It CAN be a little noisy with some (not all) 4K disks because of the higher spin speed as obviously it is of plastic construction throughout, but the noise is not noticeable once the Film is playing. The very loud noise problems seem to have plagued the early batches, so you want one that is made Late 2017 on. If you want to be totally safe, though, there is a newer version, slightly more expensive, that as far as I have heard, has no issues.

Nice review, Cas. Received the boxset last friday & haven't watched yet, decided to watch from Rogue Nation, 5 - 1 in that order.
( Haven't got DV, but watched Rogue Nation on friends LG OLED C7 & it was stunning ! )

Thanks Cas for another great review. :thumbsup:

I have exactly this LG TV & Player - my UP970 works fine & the picture quality from it is perfect IMO. It CAN be a little noisy with some (not all) 4K disks because of the higher spin speed as obviously it is of plastic construction throughout, but the noise is not noticeable once the Film is playing. The very loud noise problems seem to have plagued the early batches, so you want one that is made Late 2017 on. If you want to be totally safe, though, there is a newer version, slightly more expensive, that as far as I have heard, has no issues.
I can get one for £120 and return it if it's no good. Might go for it.

Edit: couldn't resist, ordered one for £106. If I keep it, I'll be ordering the M:I set next month.

Last edited:
Excellent news!

This has been crying out for a decent remaster! Will be picking them up, but probably Apple 4K variants.

Cheers Cas

Excellent news!

This has been crying out for a decent remaster! Will be picking them up, but probably Apple 4K variants.

Cheers Cas

The ATV Bundle is definitely tempting, but I still wonder what will happen to the sound - they said that they will do updates to Dolby Atmos, but if like this one there is no Dolby Atmos Track on the physical Disk, will the Soundtrack stay on the Format already available?
Hmmm. would be great if Apple could be a bit more specific about this :)

The ATV Bundle is definitely tempting, but I still wonder what will happen to the sound - they said that they will do updates to Dolby Atmos, but if like this one there is no Dolby Atmos Track on the physical Disk, will the Soundtrack stay on the Format already available?
Hmmm. would be great if Apple could be a bit more specific about this :)
In all honesty it does not effect me, As I usually only have 2.1 running. Will probably move to a decent soundbar purely for the fact we have no room with 2 kids!

Thanks for the review Cas. It's interesting because my "other" favorite reviewer basically hates this transfer lol.

I have already watched the Blu Ray of Rogue Nation and the Atmos Sound is pretty nice. Definitely interested in the box set but I don't remember liking the second film at all. It was a bit too stupid for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one is a superior movie to the rest... De Palma... :cool:

The rest have their moments, even the John Woo slow-motion hair advert episode :D

Is this 5 individual plastic UHD cases in a cardboard sleeve?

I do want this release as it's my favourite franchise but I'm not paying the steep prices for it when I've already got them all on BD! I'll wait for the price to come down.

I also don't like the fact that it will be re-released in the very near future with Fallout included!

£70 :rotfl:

Is this 5 individual plastic UHD cases in a cardboard sleeve?

I do want this release as it's my favourite franchise but I'm not paying the steep prices for it when I've already got them all on BD! I'll wait for the price to come down.

I also don't like the fact that it will be re-released in the very near future with Fallout included!

Two separate cases, one with the blus, one with the 4Ks:

75966B35-7050-4467-8D9A-ADCAF04B037E.jpeg

Strange release this, seen so many different reviews with varying opinions on the transfer, from terrible to unmissable, im a fan so will have to bite the bullet

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom