1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Home Theatre Advice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Roboto, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dr.Roboto

Dr.Roboto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, a while ago I bought 4 mission m74 speakers and had them in the 4 corners playing music really nicely

Later I bought an m7c2 centre, an ms10 sub, and a Yamaha RX-V440RDS receiver and hooked it all up to my tv

so now I use the speakers less for music and more for watching tv, and even when I do listen to music, the "6 channel stereo" setting on this receiver still favours the front two in stereo, with little coming out from the rear speakers

so i'm thinking about replacing the rear two with something a little smaller and more suitable as they really don't need to be so powerful now

Do you reckon a couple of M7ds speakers is the way to go?

(and if so, does anyone fancy swapping some for a pair of pristine m74 speakers?)

Then again, It may be tricky finding a pair of these second hand, and the m74s are nice lookin - they aren't doing anything wrong, I just feel guilty when I see them doing not much

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Try changing your rear wire first, as when I upgraded mine the rears M3Ds i have came alive.

3. Dr.Roboto

Dr.Roboto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah maybe, i've got the front and centre speakers running off pretty pricey wire and the rear ones off some not so amazing stuff

then again, when i watch movies or play xbox games they pull their weight

I just figured that now its more for 5.1 and music is practically just in front stereo, there might be no need for the rear ones being so big

do purists think it's good for them all to be the same though?

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I switched the cheap crappy free stuff for QED silver micro and the change was amazing, but if you've got some decent stuff then i doubt thats really a problem.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I would recommend the M7ds (or M3ds if you cant find any one with old stock of the M7s) as you can see I have 2 pairs for surround duties and they work well with my M74i fronts.

The M74s were known for being a bit wooly in the mid range and given the M74i are the same price but significantly clearer you may have to take quite a hit on your price.