1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FSAV2 -> Kef Q1's and Q9c upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yimpster, Jan 13, 2004.

1. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi peeps,

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this upgrade. I'm in the process of decorating our lounge, which gives me an opportunity to change my speaker setup.

I've got a Denon 2802 with the Mission FSAV2 speaker/sub combo. I've also got a set of Kef Q1's on my hifi which aren't really used for anything other than computer games.

Any recommendations on putting the Q1's on stands with the Denon amp and getting a Q9c or Q6c for the centre? I was planning on letting the Missions handle the rear channels for the time being.

Is this going to be an improvement? if so which speaker is more suited to my needs the Q6c or Q9c?

Cheers for any ideas or feedback in advance.

Many thanks

Adam

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I doing the same thing, except I'm going from KEF Eggs to the Q1 and Q9c setup with Egg rears, I haven't heard the Mission setup but I think they are the flat panel version aren't they?

Well the KEF Eggs have long been considered one of the best sub sat AV packages in the sub 1k bracket and in comparision I thought the Q1/Q9c blew them away, so compared to flat panel speakers it should be a hell of an improvement, but you'll already know that as you already have them, when it comes to the choice of centre, I'd say go with the Q9c as this has the same internals and speaker drivers as the Q1, Q5 and Q7 where as the Q6c has the same as the Q4 and Q compact which are cheaper and of a lower spec/further down the range.

Ryan :smashin:

3. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers for your feedback Ryan, anyobdy else have an opinion on the upgrade?

Cheers

Adam

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just do it - you must already know how good Q1s are, add the centre that matches best (Q9c) and voila massive improvement across your front soundstage.

When you decide to add decent surrounds then the compacts could come into your thinking (I have them & they're great)

5. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ok - sounds great. Any opinions on mounting these babies? Brackets, shelves or stands?

If stands, any recommendations on a no frills good performer that won't dent my wallet too much

Cheers chaps n chapesses

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Stands

Mine are on Partington Focus at about £50 a pair - Sturdy (part sand filled) and look good (single column in black looks good with the Qs with no grille)

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I think I'm going for the Apollo A2 (2 columns) or A3 (3 columns) stands, they look great in silver with the Q1's and they have a large top plate for good stability as the Q1's seem quite big, they can be sand filled for extra stability and apparantly better sound or so its said.

They're 49.99 from Superfi and I'll be trying to get a fiver or so knocked off as I'll be buying the speakers at the same time.

Ryan :smoke:

8. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know I have recently done a similar upgrade, and the difference is amazing!

I originally had old KEF Chorale III (mid 80's speakers) as the left and right, with the Mission FS1 centre speaker, and the other four FS1's around the back for 7.1.

Have now got Kef Q5 and Q9c at the front with the FS1's around the back.

Whilst the Q5's are very good, it's the centre speaker that I have noticed the most improvement. The soundstage is much smoother and balanced (which is quite logical I suppose).

Whilst putting Kef's around the rear would be ideal, due to space restrictions I need the flat panel's around the back and these are supporting the Kef's really well.

Edit:

One thing to watch out for is that if you only have flat's at the back then your sub may switch off temporarily when watching tv. If there is nothing below 80HZ (or your crossover setting) and nothing below 260HZ in the rear then the sub doesn't see a signal when the TV program is a lot of talking (this assumes you are using pro logic on your stereo tv signal). I haven't noticed the problem on any films yet it just seems to be when using stereo sources.

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you like the fs2's apparently you can join a 2n'd pack on and connect them directly to the amp, freeing you up to replace the sub which is the only real weak part of the pack.
    The only reason i'd suggest this is that you can pick up fs2 packs for a fraction of their worth!!

10. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmm - i've tried connecting the FS2's directly to my Denon 2802. To be honest the sound is terrible compared with it wired through the sub. Maybe it's just my config but surely there's a reason that they've been designed to plug in this way.

My plan is to keep the FS2's and sub powering the rears and use the Kef Q1's and Q9c for the front.

Hopefully replace the rears and sub eventually, not sure if i will though as i quite like the depth of sound i get with just the Q1's plugged in. Guess it comes down to personal taste in the end..

11. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any comments on the SOUNDSTYLE XS122 ? They look pretty smart and just fit into my budget.

Cheers chaps

12. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I think you will find that the crossover in the su is around the 240Hz point. There is something about it in te mission manual if I remember correctly

13. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK chaps really need some opinions before i shell out some hard earned cash on these stands.

It's really between the following.

1) SOUNDSTYLE XS122 @ £99 from superfi
    2) ATACAMA NEXUS @ £69.99 (in silver) from superfi

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with these, especially if you've got a pair of Kef Q1's on them.

Would like to order tomorrow if poss - so keep those opinions coming in.

Cheers again for all your help and guidance

Adam