1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2's + 7.1 with Denon3802

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tim Ingman, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody using this combination :

Mission FS2-AV+FS2-A with a Denon 3802?

If so, what's it like on movies and music.

And is an extra (bigger?) sub required (compulsory?) for the LFE channel?

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    my understanding (from reading, not owning) is that you will have to get another sub in order to handle the bass crossover for the 2 extra channels.
    Apparently they don't sound too good if you set the speakers to "small" and wire them directly to the amp because the crossover frequency that the sub uses is relatively high (235 Hz?). If you set the speakers to large and wire them directly then all of the bass will got to the NXT speakers and they can't cope with it at all.
    There is a socket on the sub I think for connecting the two subs together. My understanding is that the LFE channel will then play through both, but I'm not at all sure about this (why am I posting then I hear you cry).

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andyk - Tim was already talking about using 2 subs - 1 in the fs2-a stereo set, the other in the full fs-2av 5.1 set...

you need to do this if you want a full 6.1/7.1 setup of the fs2 speakers since the sub doesn't allow for these.

Mission recommend it if you can afford it.. (since an fs2-a is as expensive as the full av set currently... so you could double up on the front speakers virtually for free)

Its far cheaper to just buy a pair of Mission ds series bipoles from Richer for £99 - these will still match sound-wise with an FS2-av set in terms of acoustics...(according to a Mission document)

anyway, if its any use... excerpt from the pdf file on how to setup the fs2-a & fs2-av together:-

4. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo

Thanks for the info and alternative suggestion fo rears. Can you let me have the URL for the FS-2 set-up document - I can't locate it anywhere.

I've been to a demo of the FS-2 5.1 system (and incidentally the new FS-1 plug-and-play solution), but only heard it with movies or music DVD's. What's it like with music CD's?

Also I was thinking along the lines of using a 3rd Sub for the "low-lows", coupled to an LFE output on the 3802. I may be wrong here, but I suspect the Mission Subs as supplied with the FS-2 package may not go down below 20Hz with any decent amount of volume. (Any suggestions which would be good - I currently use a small M&K)

I would be grateful for any comments or experiences on above points.

Ta

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the pdf was emailed to me by Mission support.. not sure if its on the website.

I can email it you ... drop me a line and I'll send it back to you... ,

dont seem to be able to post it here... (okay I could change the extension to .jpg and let you get it that way, but forum admins will probably not like this).

NB its only a 2 page document, the only section about the fs2-av+fs2-a setup is the one I posted above... rest basically what I was saying that a pair of ds bipole would work exactly the same with the FS2 speakers... much cheaper... (£99 for m77ds, as against £360+ for an fs2 set of any sort).

very happy with mine with music CDs.. though as I've said in other threads, more than other speakers and most sub/sat combos you have to set them up correctly to get a really good sound out of them... dont be surprised if it takes you 4-5 hours to set them up, plus more for setting the bass & contour levels.
    [see other threads]

yes, you could use a traditional sub for the lfe output... you would have 2 fs2 subs though so its really upto you...

personally, if cost is an issue, I'd go for the ds bipole idea and use your M&K sub as well just for LFE.

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

What's the 'FS-1 plug-and-play solution'?

7. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steev

The FS-1 is the new Mission flat-speaker package due out (I think) at the end of March. It doesn’t replace the FS2 and it less flexible, being available only as a 5-channel system. It is aimed at the “starter” end of the market, hence the term “plug & play”. I heard the system at the Bristol show, and all this info comes from the guy doing the demo. It is even less obtrusive (ie smaller & slimmer) than the FS-2, but I must say, it sounded bloody good! These flat-speaker systems give you a great sense of involvement and really draw you into a movie.

Hope this helps

Tim

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the FS-1 sounds interesting...

I wasn't aware they'd released this yet... nothing on their website... bar the odd mention from their tech people recently.

upto now I'd only seen the small set of PC speakers for £99... FS1 MM1?

what did look like? similar but smaller...?

9. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo

Small, slim,silver.....the centre speaker was perched on top of a plasma screen!. the fronts and rears were standing vertically on their own slim stands, but can be mounted in any direction. The sub was in a corner - looked a bit like one of those curvy fan heaters. The demo guy said it was pre-production and "stuck together with sellotape", but, as I said, the whole system sounded pretty good. I think personally I would prefer the flexibilty of the FS-2 though.