1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2AV with Mk1 REL Storm ??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Juiceloose, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Have recently purchased Denon 3802, Toshiba SD 220E and FS2AV.

Thanks to a lot of assistance from a number of you guys I have finally got everything working and have watched half a dozen films to date.

I have a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms for music use in another room but purchased the FS2's because I didn't want big boxes in the lounge. Whilst the FS2's look great I have to say that they sound very bright and I'm very disappointed with the bass on the subwoofer.

I have two potential solutions to this problem and would appreciate any views or advice you can provide.

1) Buy an additional FS2 Subwoofer and connect it via the phone socket to the first. Would it double the bass impact ???

2) I have a MK1 REL storm which I use with my 752 Freedoms for music. I've read on here that the FS2 speakers need to be connected to the FS2 sub in order to work. If I retained these connections but turned the FS2 sub right down and connected the REL via the main speaker terminals on the 3802, would this solve the problem or would the FS2 satellites sound even brighter and and not blend smoothly with the Storm.

If none of the above will do the trick please feel free to suggest any alternatives but bear in mind I do not want large boxes. Please do not suggest the KEF Eggs as I have listened them already and thought they sounded similar to the Missions but didn't look as nice or unobtrusive.

Thanks,

Juiceloose

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An additional subwoofer will increase the bass slightly but probably not enough to satisfy you.

Connecting in the Storm may help but if you connect it to the speaker outlets it won't receive the LFE signals that will still be going to the Mission sub and it could be difficult to integrate properly.

If you can't connect your speakers to the speaker connections on the amp and the REL to the sub outlet you are stumped with that set up which is unfortunate as that would be the obvious solution.

As an alternative have a look at the Gallo speakers that have a lengthy thread running about them on the forum.

3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks Ian,

Have just read through all of the comments about the Gallo speakers and checked out their website.

I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow to have a listen but if they sound as good as they look and Nic certainly thinks they do, I'l be selling my Storm and FS2 Kit.

Cheers,

Juiceloose.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In anticipation I have been looking at our sitting room trying to find a way to fit another Storm in but no matter how I re-arrange things it's impossible.

I think I'll have to move house.

5. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Blimey Ian,

I dread to think what level of bass two Storms in one room would generate. You'd certainly need an understanding wife and neighbours !!

I have to say that I love mine albeit only used for music purposes and even then its a little bit over the top as the 752's are more than adequate.

It's just a pity I cannot integrate it with the FS2 flat panels.

That said the Gallo units do look the business so I suppose selling the Storm and the FS2's would lessen the damage to my wallet if I decide to buy them.

Having looked through the various postings I cannot find any reference as to whether one could use the five Gallo speakers with a Storm instead of the Gallo subwoofer.

Any ideas if you can ??

Juiceloose

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would imagine that you can use the Storm instead of the Gallo sub as most speakers connect directly to the speakers on the amp with the sub connected to the sub output on the amp.

The Mission setup that you have seems to be a rare beast in terms of connection.

Keeping the Storm will save you £500 which is a lot more than you would get for it so it seems a sensible option.

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) for £400-500, I dont think the sub in the FS2AV set is meant to be upto REL (and other sub makers') standards... doubt there is much mileage in getting another. the FS2 performance should be reasonable though... guess as a REL user you probably want or are used to more...

2) Not familiar with what socketry the Rel mkI Storm has but I'm pretty sure you should be able to integrate another active subwoofer with the FS2-AV set. You'll still need to keep the FS2 sub connected for the speakers to work correctly though - also re: your comment above though - the volume levels on the sub directly affect the brightness of the sound on the satellites, so dont lower it.

Setup-wise - no reason to go through the FS2 sub and out its phono socket. surely easier to just disconnect the FS2 sub phono lead at the amp end and hook up the active sub instead. I guess you'd also need to switch the amp from lfe + mains to just lfe.

Just out of interest, what do you currently have the FS2 sub set to for volume and bass contour levels?

the volume directly affects the brightness so you can tune this to your personal preferences.

also, the sub is still a conventional speaker so needs running in.. say 50-100 hours.
    have a play with the contour level also.. should improve things.

8. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Martin,

Thanks for the info.

I've currently got both dials on the FS2 Sub set at 12 O'clock or half way up the scale.

The MK1 Storm has an XLR connector at the sub end and three bare wires at the amp end. Two of the wires are connected to the plus terminals of the left and right stereo channels with the remaining wire connected to either of the negative connections.

I cannot think of any way to connect it up using the single LFE phono connection point of my Denon 3802.

If I connect it up to the left and right stereo channels it will mean I'll have the REL connected to there as well as the left and right connectors of the main lead to the FS2 sub.

Would this overload the amp ???

I have been reading about the Gallo Sub/Sat systems today in the thread that Nic started and intend to listen to them later this week. If they sound ok, and assuming I can't intregate the REL with the FS2, I'll probably sell the Storm and the FS2 and buy the Gallo's.

Cheers,

Juiceloose.

9. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Martin,

Just been reading your note again and noticed that you said I'd need to change my amp settings from LFE+Main to just LFE.

At this moment in time the amp is set only for LFE for the FS2 system on the basis that I didn't think the flat panel speakers would be able to generate any bass.

Is this setting is incorrect ??

Juiceloose

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    okay.. probably no way you can do it then by the connections you describe.

the Gallo sub/sats sound very good, obviously more significantly more expensive than the FS2s.. so they should!

I may consider upgrading to these in the future,
    or maybe do it in stages, moving the FS2s all to the rear and doubling up the panels.

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes. AFAIK its in the manual somewhere.
    plus has been stated quite a few times on the forums.

the mounting of the satellites also makes a difference, nearer the wall the better, or wall-mounted gets a little bit more bass/mid range.

if you still find the sound of the satellites bright, try increasing the sub volume... really does go from tinny --> perfect --> "overblown".

the dial settings are different for everyone due to room size and speaker locations.

12. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thought I was the only one burning the midnight oil !!

Will go off and have a play around with the settings now and also turn the volume up on the sub to see if I can get it to sound any better.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Juiceloose

13. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Juiceloose, do you have your FS2AV set-up in your living room and if it is, what is the size of your living?

I too have a Denon 3802 paired up with an FS2AV and provided you have the right bass-management settings on your amp, the FS2AV should sound anything BUT bright & tinny.

I have a small to medium-size living-room (14 x 17 feet) and the bass-management settings for my amp are:

All FS2's set to 'Large'.

Subwoofer cross-over is set to '120hz'.

Overall bass is set to 'LFE+Main'.

My subwoofer bass level is set to one unit less than half, and my contour is set to maximum.

With these settings, the overall bass coming from your FS2AV WILL sound much fuller and will give you the fullest soundstage the FS2AV can offer. If you have a bigger room then you might need to increase the 'Bass' level on your subwoofer.

BTW, I recently went to the Odeon cinema down Marble Arch to watch Minority Report and although their sound system was great, when it came down to explosions it didn't offer nowhere near the same rumble or punch as I got from my FS2AV.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Ian

you are not over doing it again I hope. I mean dual Storms;) Excessive or what :blush:

15. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just ordered my Denon AVr-3802 & Mission FS2's, so I am a believer that they are fine. I must admit I dont want (nor my neighbours) rocking the house down with huge amounts of base, but these babies seem more than up to the job I want.

Slighly off topic, the best sound I have heard in a cinema was the Filmworks screens at Greenwich. Very, Very Good! The sound from Lord of the Rings was gobsmacking!:cool:

16. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the "depth" of the base is set by the contour dial so
    its entirely upto you how much you want for LFE, explosions etc.
    think yourself lucky!
    went to an Odeon to see Spiderman a few weeks ago and a sign said:-
    "Due to technical difficulties, none of the rear speakers are
    working in this dolby digital/dts cinema. This should not affect
    your enjoyment of the film."

didn't quite tear a strip of someone... more an entire notebook.;)

17. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I would have spat the proverbial dummy!

They could at least have let you know in advance and u could have brought your own surrounds and amp in for them! ;)

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    think Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction and
    you will get the level of my "wrath".

"I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and
    furious anger "...

or Jim Royal put it better.. "will not affect your enjoyment of the film".. MY A**E!!!

and yes, I did walk out in disgust.

I was told by the airhead ticket girl.. "most people never notice".