1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2AV Speakers: Sounds a bit 'flat' compared to conventional speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tk2001, Jun 10, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yesterday a friend of mine came round to check out my home cinema, mainly the performance of my FS2AV.

I basically bunged on some of my better sounding (some very demanding) DVD's so that he could get an idea of how my FS2s coped with them - most of which he has seen & heard via his own home cinema.

Here are some of the DVD we tried including the surround-sound format used (not the best line-up I must admit):

Gladiator R1 DTS ES 6.1 Discrete

The Fast And The Furious R2 DTS

U-571 R1 DTS

Behind Enemy Lines R1 DTS

He stayed around for about an hour listening to the best scenes of each of the above DVD's and his closing comments regarding my FS2AV speaker package were:

1. Some scenes sounded slighter 'flatter' than what he was use to, adding that it there wasn't enough 'ambience' in certain scenes.

2. On a slightly positive note, he did say that in some of the scenes of the above DVDs, the FS2s were able to deliver a sharper and a more open sound-stage than what he was use to.

3. He was impressed at the performance of the FS2 subwoofer, especially the way it delivered clear & well defined bass punches at the charriot scene from Gladiator

When we finished examining the DVDs, I then asked him what he would give my FS2AV package out of 10 for sound, and he said 7 and a half and I must admit that I did feel a bit gutted when he said that. Having said that though, he did give my whole home cinema set-up (TV, DVD, amp etc.) 9/10 overall - he did like my Denon 3802 in particular.

I was hoping he would have liked my FS2AV package more than he did, but it doesn't matter because I am happy with the performance of my FS2AV. I do disagree with the low mark he gave the FS2AV for sound (7 and a half/10) - at the very least, I think it deserves a 8/10 for sound.

Does anyone wish to add any of their thoughts on this topic?

BTW, my friends 5.1 speaker set-up cost him around £450 and consists of mainly Mordant Short speakers - I don't know the model number.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    tk2001,
    Right, I would give your FS2-AV five out of ten, but hey, so what, it is what you think that counts, isn't it.
    Who cares what your friend thinks?
    Recently Emanef was weighing up speaker packages, after taking advice he plumped for the Missions and he is delighted, if you like them too that's all that matters.