Mission FS2AV Speakers: A tad under-powered?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tk2001, Nov 29, 2001.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I own the Marantz SR-5200 av-receiver and I just recently received my Mission FS2AV speakers and together do they sound great with DVD movies and CD's.

My SR-5200 outputs roughly 90W into each speaker channel but I've noticed that it seems a bit under-powered.

I have a medium-size living-room, and when I watch 'The Matrix' or 'The Patriot' on DVD, I have to turn my SR-5200 nearly over
    70% to get a decent loud volume - the volume level starts from
    -75dB to +15dB.

For comparative sakes, I previously owned a Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 setup (7W per channel) and had stuck it in my living-room for about 3-6 months, and surprisingly it offers nearly the same volume as my Marantz SR-5200!

What I fail to understand is that, how can a PC budget 5.1 setup with mostly 7W per channel offer nearly the same volume level as my Marantz SR-5200 along with my Mission Speakers at 30-70W per Channel? I just fail to see the logic!

Can owners of either the Marantz SR-42/5200 or the Mission FS2AV please tell me if you notice this?

PS. As I've mentioned before, the volume on my SR-5200 goes from -75dB to +15dB. Is this normal? Why doesn't it start from 00dB to 100dB?:confused:

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,474
    Hi ,

When you changed your speakers for the Missions did you re-calibrate the volume settings in the amp ? ( if it has the facility)

Some speakers are easier to drive than others dependant on rating/sensitivity and the output of your amp, but as you,ve said your amp is 90w per channel, that is plenty of power.

Check the volume levels per channel on your amp and the compatibility between amp and speakers. The volume rating on your amp from -75db to +15db , yes it is normal, what is it at when you are listening normally ?

Kev

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My normal listening level is roughly between -30dB to -20dB if I'm listening to the radio or CD's and when watching DVD's, I have to at least turn it up -25dB to -15dB to get a decent loud volume.

My Mission Speakers consists 5 satelites and a subwoofer and the satelites are suppose to go up to a maximum of 75W per channel, so I shouldn't have to turn my amp up to over 70% in order to get a decent voume. I just don't get it.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it doesn´t sound bad, don´t worry, I have a TAG processor with Rotel amps, 200 watts per each of the five channels, and I use it also at 75% to listen at a decent high level...

You might be able to select the way the volume is displayed...

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,474
    The missions are perhaps slightly harder to drive than your original speakers.

Your 'db' listening levels are fine.

Sit back and enjoy.

Kev

6. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These Mission speakers are not very sensitive (86dB @ 1W/1m) so your amp will have to work harder to produce the same sound pressure level than when it is driving a more sensitive set of speakers. Your PC set-up was probably highly efficient over quite a narrow frequency range - so they sounded loud but not very hi-fi. Speakers are often designed to be less effecient to generate a better response over a wider frequency range.

Don't worry about having to turn your amp up either as the volume control is probably not linear. The volume on my amp runs from 0-80, and 45 is just starting to get loud enough to hear film soundtracks properly in a medium-sized room.

DVDs will sound quieter than CDs or radio as they have a much greater dynamic range.

7. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for your advice guys. For a minute there, I actually thought my Marantz av-receiver was a bit under-powered but after listenning to other peoples posts and comparing it to other receivers, I guess its not.

I forgot that the reason why I brought the Marantz SR-5200 in the first place was so that I could enjoy listenning to music (including the musical scores from DVD movies) at a very high quality - and in that respect, my SR-5200 and Mission speakers certainly manages to deliver.

Cheers
    Tu