1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2AV Positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DazJWood, Jun 20, 2002.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no purchased my Mission FS2AVs and will be setting them up at the weekend. I am going to set up a 7.1 speaker set up to utilitise the Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES abilities of my Denon 3802.

I am locating the front satellites in the two corners of my room. They will be mounted to the wall so they touch both the front wall and side walls (in the corner in other words).

Can anyone tell me what height I should mount them at? Should I go with half way down the wall or is it preferable to mount them near the ceiling?? Will I lose some of the sound dispersion locating them ceiling high?

Also, for the remaining two fs2av speakers I am mounting these on the side walls in line with my sofa which will be the listening position. Again, do I mount these half way down the wall, head-height (listening height) or at the ceiling???

Preference would be at ceiling height as these would look less obtrusive at this position, but I don't want to lessen the sound dispersion by doing this if this is the result.

My final speakers will be Mission 77DS which I plan on locating on the back walls at ceiling height, possibly angled a little downwards.

Hope someone can help me with this!!! Please give me your opinions and indeed tell me how your are setup if you have the same speakers.

Thanks in advance,

These forums have proved invaluable.

Daz

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ceiling height should be fine... though of course it depends on how high yours is.

mine are about 7-7.5 ft .. below a picture rail, plus I've seen them installed higher in a demo... approx 10ft.

the sound disperses extremely well from the FS2s so its not as key as it would be in other speakers.

you should be okay on the rears.. but if not, remember you can mount them angled downwards on their side...ie horizontally rather than vertically... should be fine though.

there are some pictures of mine in one of the other threads if you do a search...(Emanef's I think).

the M77DS setup sounds fine also.

3. PJG

PJG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate that sound dispersion is better from the flat panels that a standard cone speaker, but surely they would still be best placed at ear level to ensure the best sound? (I'm going on the premise that the best sound will originate from the centre of the speaker...)

Thoughts?

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PJG.... as I said I've got mine at about 7-7.5ft.. sound fabulous. the sound diffuses very well and really spreads out. they really do disappear into the room since you just dont see them at that height. a big WAF because of this!

I did ask a Mission tech guy this very question at a show demo and he basically said the same thing - shouldn't be a problem. they had theirs in a large hotel conference room at about 10ft height and the speakers really did work well with everything.

if you were really bothered about angling them or toeing them in, then you can mount them horizontally from one side rather than vertically - this will angle them down towards ear level.

link to some pictures (still a work in progress)
    http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/cismconn/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&.view=t

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have my front left & right FS2s mounted on the tall silver FS2 stands and have positioned them on the corner of my living-room.

My surround FS2s are mounted on the side walls at 'ear-level' and sounds perfectly fine to me.

I think the reason why people have their surround speakers 3-6 feet above ear-level, is to try to get the same sound effect as their local cinema - if you examine the positioning of cinema speakers, you'll notice that the surround speakers (usually consisting of 4 speakers to each side) are placed just below the ceiling.

6. PJG

PJG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin, cheers for the info... I've just ordered a set to go with my second system (TEAC Ref 500).

I've also heard that they really need a good 75-100 hours to run in.... is this true? - since it seems to be quite a lengthly period. In comparison by B&W's (main system) took around 30 hours....

(FYI - Having a second system sounds a bit OTT, but I work a long way away from home during the week so rent a flat)

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not entirely true, PJG.

the satellites dont need running in...

but the sub does since its still a "conventional speaker".
    usual rules apply I would guess.. say 50 hours.. max 100.
    the sub's tone should change at this point and become smoother/ warmer. just leave some CD music playing at moderate volumes whilst you are out and it should only take a week or two.

8. PJG

PJG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tk2001 - interesting point about the cinema.... might give that approach some thought.

Martin - thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

9. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I no have my FS2s on the wall and connected up. Jeez what a game that was. Mind you I did choose the hard option. I decided to run the cables up into the ceiling so had some of the floorboards up upstairs!!!

I think it was worth it thought as it has meant the cables are hidden and it looks better.

Connected my speakers up to my Denon 3802 and after some time I got some sound (of course instead of reading the manual I did my usual bounding in trying to figure it out with out any information).

Haven't connected my DVD player up yet but tried it with the amp connected to my tv (via phono).

Can't say I am too impressed with the Dolby Pro Logic II. I also got a vibration noise coming from my surround left speaker. I pressed the grille down a bit and it seems to have stopped. I hope that this was all it was.

I guess I have got to read a little more about setting it up in case I have missed something.

I've set the speakers to large and the sub crossover to 120 Hz (whatever that means!!!).

Does anyone know what the best way to set the sub up is? I have turned the bass up a little. I am not sure what the bass contour switch is for or what to set it on??

I was also thinking about mounting the centre speaker on the ceiling directly above my tv. Is this a good idea or would the speaker be too high up??

Am gonna get hold of a coaxial cable today if I can to connect my DVD up. I want to here the Dolby digital and DTS sounds!

Also, another question when I use the test tone on my amp, am I trying to get all the sounds to sound the same loudness?

Any further ideas please let me know?

Thanks

Daz

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    re: the sub settings, as per the instructions, set both dials to half and then test with normal CD/ 2 channel audio.

do a search and you should a few threads on this.... the settings are different for everyone due to room size etc.

a good range of music should give you the best "ideal" setting.

then try a DVD to see how it sounds in 5.1, maybe upping the contour level to your preferences.

11. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Do what MartinCo has suggested and start both the bass & contour levels half-way. If the bass is set-up properly, then the bass from movie soundtracks should sound full, sharp and clear - too much bass can often lead to muddy bass-lines.

The contour basicbally controls the 'rumble' level, i.e. in Jurassic Park 3, the more the contour is turned up, the more your living-room will shake. I personally prefer to 'feel' the rumble of the explossions on DVD movies therefore I have my contour setting on full.

If you wish to achieve the perfect sound level ballance from ALL of your speakers, then you should invest in a sound pressure meter AND aa home cinema calibration DVD such as Avia or Ultimate DVD: Platinum