1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2AV Flat speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by monkeyWRENCH, Feb 6, 2002.

1. monkeyWRENCH

monkeyWRENCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    EmpireDirect is selling the Mission FS2AV (Grey) for £369.55 and the FS2AVSIL for £638.38.

What is the difference between the two other than the colour and price?

2. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like just the colour. £369! Wow! Amazing value.

Empire Direct

3. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's this, a Foo fan I see?

4. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that site and thought it was cheap.

Could it be that the cheaper set is just 2 sats and a sub rather than the full 5.1 setup? I'm sure I've seen those combinations offered elsewhere.

Steve

5. monkeyWRENCH

monkeyWRENCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

No, it's definately the full 5.1 setup

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked again and you could be right. That is a very good price. Hifijunkies have all colours for £440.

The matching stands are extra.

This page http://www.mission.co.uk/fs2__sys.htm lists all the combinations available. You can buy a subset and add to it.

Unfortunately I'm not buying just yet. We've got to build the house to put it all in first. Then we'll see how much money is left.

Steve

7. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I RANG HIJUNKIES this morning about kef eggs as i was told they were doing them at £600 but it was a one off price match they offered me the fs2av package at £460 and i saw the empire site was£369 55 they read up the same as hifi junkies site , They told me they are as good as kefs for a lot less money ?

I want to use them with a DENON 2802 amp
    toshiba 210 or 220 dvd
    Toshiba 42wh18b tv

ARE they upto the job?

8. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im confused about these speakers,phoned everywhere and cant get a demo.Phoned sevenoaks today,they said they was crap and had sent all their stocks back to mission,phoned another dealer who said they where good speakers.All the mags give them top marks,so what they really sound like?.....when folks on this forum rave about them,what they compering them with,their tv speakers? I really like the look of this package,but with some much mixed reations and cant get a demo,im going for the mission M7's

9. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I went for a demo of the fs2s at Seveoaks and was distinctly unimpressed.
    It was partly due, I am sure, to the fact that they couldn't (or couldn't be bothered anyway) set them up properly. They wired them as normal speakers (ie. not going through the sub for the crossover) and set them to small. There was a distinct lack of midrange with them like that - no suprise really.

I would have got all cross about their crapness, but I had already decided that I didn't want them because of their looks. They just seemed very plasticky to me.

I am now considering the KEF eggs - much nicer looking, but I haven't been for a proper demo of them yet so no decision at the moment.

10. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV is all about personal choice. Personally, I love the FS2's. When they were launced at £799, they represented quite good value for money, not they represent truly excellent value for money. Best to get a demo, or maybe even buy a set on condition that it can be returned if unsatisfied with the performance?

11. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Ive bought a FS2AV package today from HIFI JUNKIES i got them to match EMPIRE DIRECT price also hi fi junkies are advertising a 5 year garunte with theres and empire only 12 months HIFI JUNKIES said i could have any colour
    GONE FOR SILVER to match my toshiba
    I squeezed free delivery also where empire charge £10

12. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if the FS2s are setup properly, then they are excellent speakers... easily beat my previous 5.1 setup and others I've seen.. excellent in both stereo and 5.1.

AndyK... surprised that Sevenoaks would do such a demo - these speakers just wont work properly without the sub... the sound would be truly awful... thin & harsh with hardly any bass.

WITH the sub connected and the bass set correctly (contour and volume) then they really do sound superb... I've seen them demo-ed in a pretty big demo room 35ft x 20ft and they sounded stunning..

sure.. they aren't big floorstanders but thats not their design purpose... (which is) getting good sounding speakers into most people's houses without taking up huge amounts of space.

when you take into account that the set also 45m of speaker cable, at £360-400 they are an absolute bargain.

13. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to martinco....what was your last 5.1 setup?.........i had misssion 702 fronts.70c centre and 70s rear..i just sold them and was looking at the fs2-av, i cant get a demo from anywhere.My room is 14'x12,heard they sound tinny and harsh.what u think? Would i notice much differance with my previous speaker setup?

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a Tannoy M2/M1/MC setup.., plus I'm comparing them to my mate's £800 Mission speaker setup (not sure of the model nos),
    and a fair few £400-700 sets of speakers I demo-ed including the kef eggs.

they can sound tiny & harsh .. if setup incorrectly (see AndyK's Sevenoaks info below).

if you get the sub set correctly then you can get them sounding exactly as you want... the sub is vital to this since it controls the amount of bass going to both the sub & the speakers.

I'm running mine in the living room.. approx 23ftx13ft, with the main speakers all wall-mounted... very happy with them.

NB... you'll need a decent amp to run them though (at least 90W), look for other threads here in the past on the subject.

15. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the feed back martinco......... when i phone dealers about fs2s,i guess that they have no stocks and just trying to unload speakers they hold

16. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    probably something like that... sounds like
    Sevenoaks weren't doing a very good job of demoing
    them anyway.

try and get a demo, maybe a hifi fair or similar...,
    or somewhere that does a return guarantee.

there's a review on the hcc website from Jan 2001, plus a newer review in the current issue, though I think this month's new one is just about to hit the shops..

they were what hifi 5 star-ed year before last @£800, only beaten by the kef eggs this year... so they cant be so bad in terms of reviews.

17. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I'm leaning towards trying to get a decent demo. The last one only served to persuade me that Sevenoaks in Leeds don't care enough.

Anyone know a good place in the Leeds/Yorkshire area?

18. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from Superfi, off Briggate in Leeds.

Either that or you can pop round ours.

19. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Did you have a demo at Superfi or did you just buy them?

20. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just got some flat missions from empire,
    plugged em in, film on, gutted! sounded crap. took a couple days tweeking and even trying old stuff back in place, to get them set up to suit my room/ears, "WOW" well chuffed. get some.

21. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI i phoned HUDDERSFIELD HIFI about speakers and they were really helpfull they were the only place i know that has all the speakers IE kef eggs,mission b+w,castle,bose etc and willing to demo them

22. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pop,

What sort of things did you have to play with to get the speakers set up to your liking? Did you have a demo first? What sort of amp are you using?

Questions, questions

Steve

23. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really like the look of these speakers,but i cant get a demo any where.i think i will order then and take a chance.I have been searching tho.this forum and on the whole a good reaction to them,ok they might not be up to hi-fi standards,but what the hell,i only want them to watch movies.
    Anyone recommend a site,where if im not happy,they take em back with no probs.

24. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pop,what was your 'old stuff' and how do the missions compere?

25. csx

csx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed these at the Bristol show and thought they were crap. Couldnt wait to get out the room.
    I demoed loads of small speaker setups. The best were the Jamo A410. The worst were the Kleggs
    Was not that impressed with the KEF eggs and Sony SS-LA505 either.
    However I do like Kefs so I will demo the eggs again
    CSX

26. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    steev

sub volume and contour, sub position, subs loud but it lacks that - floor rumble - of my old sub-kef30b, linked in then i have the rumble, amp bass and treble, speaker settings on amp, center speaker position, put sats up in top corners of room
    dvd films are brill,
    personaly i think they are crap for cd music

amp - Yamaha A1

No demo, just dived in-wot the hell

27. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    old stuff
    mission 753, 75c, b&w dm601 as rears, 30b sub,
    am going to run sub as well

28. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    certainly going from my (& others) experience,
    the missions can sound absolutely terrible if not setup properly.

thin, unbalanced bass, no mid range... awful.

set them up properly and they can & should sound superb...

if you rush setting them up, plug them straight in, dont mount them properly on stands or screwed into walls, and especially dont set the subwoofer up correctly.. thats what you will get... a poor unbalanced setup.

set aside 3-5 hours (cutting the speaker cable takes time), do it properly and it will pay dividends in performance.

the difference between them and the kefs is very very small... especially when you take into account the price at £360... just the big speaker neophytes who will say they sound awful.

steev - there are 2 controls on the subwoofer .. one for setting the amount of bass to both the sub & the five speakers, and another for setting the depth of the bass (rumble as pop calls it!). as per the manual, you have to set these 2 levels using a stereo source (ie CD) not via 5.1. say 4-5 different pieces of music to get your preferred sound... then try with 5.1 and some LFE next.

these settings will be different for everyone, due to room size, the location of the sub, and how the speakers are mounted.. (pref near a wall on the stands or screwed directly in).

yes I demo-ed mine ... using them with a Denon 2802.

richie44 - they do look very nice.. definitely GF/ wife friendly... (for me) nicer to look at than the kef eggs, plus virtually invisible if you wall mount them. I would argue they are upto hifi standards... sound positively three dimensional for me with CDs... very impressive. also What Hifi did pick them in the last year with some very expensive equipment in a benchtest... (£1000 amp & approx £700 CD player). got the review somewhere if its not online.

HCC best buy review is still at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/SpeakerPackages/Mission/MissionFS2-AV.shtml

29. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought, but they said they would be happy to demo if I wanted. They just need a little notice.

(Mate of mine had some, so got advise from him)