1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2AV Best Price?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DazJWood, Jun 14, 2002.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now decided after much reading of this website and through a post to go for the Mission FS2AV speakers over the Kef KHT 2005. Similar performance and the difference in price has swung me toward the Mission's.

I have a Denon 3802 and am looking to set this up with some Mission FS2 AVs and 2 extra Mission 77DS

Can anyone advise me of the best place to buy these from?

I have seen the Mission FS2AVs advertised on empiredirect.co.uk for £369 though have read somewhere about people waiting forever for these to come into stock. Also they are the grey ones? I would prefer silver I think. Do the grey ones look ok?

Also, I read in a thread about discounttv.co.uk selling the silver ones for £400 but on their website they are advertised for £450? Anyone know about this?

Anyone know anywhere else that sells them at a good price?

The Mission 77DS I was hoping to get from Richer Sounds as they are advertised on their site for £99. Although everytime I look on the site they appear to be out of stock. Do the individual shops keep extra stock of these? Anyone know?

I will be ringing around a few of these stores tomorrow to find out most of these answers but would appreciate any guidance anyone can offer and any other alternative sources.

Thanks in advance

PS Isn't this is a brilliant site. Been looking for something like this for ages and finally came across it (so to speak) when I was looking through google for AV reviews

Daz
    Daz

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    good choice, Daz... there are lots of happy Mission/ Denon users out there. works fine for all of us.

I dont think anyone has got the speakers from empire at £369, AFAIK. definitely order from someone else if this is the case...

discounttv seem to be okay and others have ordered the fs2s from them successfully. dont forget places like hifijunkies also who have price matched before, especially if you are going to buy the 3802 from them as well.

think discounttv were also doing the 3802 for a very good price.. tempting.

once you get the FS2s, have a good read of all the Mission threads again - think most questions have been asked/ answered now in terms of setup, performance and tuning... there have been a lot since November with the price drop to ~£400.

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Hi-Fi Junkies (www.hifijunkies.co.uk) along with a 3802 and they price matched on the amp. They were about the same on the speakers anyway.

They also give a 5-year warranty on the Missions (i think 2 is the standard) and 2-years on the Denon all as part of the price.

Might be worth the extra 30ish quid. Speak to them first as I found the service excellent and they were more than willing to discuss prices and offer installation help.

I picked my speakers up from them on the Saturday morning and Jason from HFJ said he was going to be in so if I had any problems setting up to give him a bell.

Cant really get better service than that.

I dont think Mission are making the grey speakers anymore, just Silver and White. The grey ones tend to be advertised cheaply as the are effectivly 'clearance' stock and if they havn't got any in now, they probably wont get any more grey ones.

Bill

4. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Just to let youy know that all Mission speakers in the UK come with a five year warranty as standard, as also Denon equipment is standard with a two year warranty..

5. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote here for Hifi Junkies. I bought the silver FS2 AV set along with my Denon 1602 from them, and the service was exceptional. Jason is a great guy to do business with, and unlike most people that pick up the phone at hifi shops, he knows what he's talking about!! ;)

6. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I also have a Denon 3802 paired up with the FS2AV and am very pleased by both of their performances.

I have the grey FS2AVs and they do match my front tall silver Mission stands & silver Mission m7ds rather well.

I too was looking to get the Mission m77ds but everywhere I phoned, it was either discontinued or not in-stock. I eventually opted for newer misssion m7ds and paid £130 inc P&P from Sound & Vision (offers 25W more than the m77ds) and am pleased by the perfomance of the surround-back channels.

If you do plan to add a pair of m7ds to your FS2AV package, make sure you set them to 'small' otherwise your will hear too much bass from behind.

BTW, in order to get achieve a soundstage that offers full, deep bass along with bags of punch for movies, on the Denon 3802 set all the FS2s to 'large' and if you have the option, set the cross-over to 120hz and finally sellect 'Main Speakers & LFE'.

7. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i just start by saying thanks to everyone for your information. I have only just recently discovered these forums. Have been looking for a forum like this for ages!!! I have found out so much useful information from here.

tk2001. Thanks for your advice of settings for the Denon Amp. I will certainly set them as said.

I have been ringing around today for a good price. Empiredirect actually do have the FS2s in stock but only the grey ones at £369, which is very tempting. I think I would rather have the silver ones though (but thats dependant on the price!)

Discounttv have none in stock but they sell them for £400. I am gonna ring HifiJunkies on Monday and see what deal I can get there seeing as everyone here seems to recommend them (or work for them!!!! :)).

I will keep you posted as to where I get to as I am sure I will have some more questions to ask.

Thanks all

Daz

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daz... not much difference between the grey and silver fs2s.. if they've got them for that price I'd go for it... bargain price.

there are few photos of mine in one of the other threads... (emanef's one if I remember).

all the speaker cable and fixings are in the kit - you dont need anything else (apart from an amp).

tk2001's absolutely correct in his settings... dont panic though...they are in the manual provided.:rolleyes:

9. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MartinCo.

I'll ring around a couple of places when I get into work on Monday and either go for the grey FS2s from Empire or if I can get the silvers at an equivalent price I'll go with them.

Another question I have now if anyone can help.

I have two DVD players:

A Sony M35, which is currently in my lounge and is my main DVD player

and a Deccavideo 2110 (which incidently plays every known disc to man!) which I use to watch DVDs in the bedroom.

My problem is my Sony player does not support DTS out (it is an early imported player).

I want the ability once I get my system (Denon and Mission FS2s +77DS) setup to be able to use the DTS-ES surround option. This would mean swapping the use of the DVD players and having the Deccavideo downstairs.

Is this a wise option? Is the sound output on the Decca likely to be inferior to the Sony by a great deal? I know I can test this myself but am looking for advice of others? Has anyone else got a budget DVD player in their system and what do you think of its abilities?

I am reticient to buy another DVD player but really want the DTS ability. Guess I'll have to experiment and see. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daz

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know the deccavideo...
    maybe in terms of picture there will be a little difference, but in sound terms going optical/coax from a player, there isn't going to be that much difference.

you should be okay.

11. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I will try and see. Kewl.

Also, does anyone know of which interconnects are the ideal to use. I don't want to use the most expensive as I will be short of funds after buying my missions.

Any advise on what interconnects I need any some fairly decnt well priced ones? Also where is the best place to purchase these from?

Thanks

Daz

12. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    interconnects for what...dvd to amp? give us a clue, Daz.

13. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any general interconnects I will need really.

I will be connecting my DVD player to the amp so will need interconnects for this. Also I have two phono outputs on my tv that I can connect to the amp too.

Plus, If I connect the phono outputs from my tv to the amp is there any necessity in connecting audio from my VCR to the amp? Is there any advantage to doing this as well?

Also, anyone know this question. I am going to phone a few stores this afternoon for my speakers. I know where I am getting my FS2s (have a choice of three places now) but am looking to buy either mission 77ds or m7ds. Are these rears both as good as each other or would anyone recommend a particular one??
    Also, has anyone got the silver finish on these? Do they look any good or should I go for black (I am hoping to get the Mission FS2 silvers)

Thanks

Daz

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a decent optical should be fine for most thing.. say £15-25... ixos or similar.

if you want to run audio from your TV for everything playing through.. check the length first. a decent 5m+ may cost you a little bit more... say £30.
    do you have satellite? its nice to run this separate to the amp for best quality or if you like listening to the radio - you will need the TV switched on with your other method.

maplin now seem to have a good range of home cinema cables... do a search for "thor" on the website... got a few decent cables there very cheaply last week.

the ds bipole question?... been covered before... think the m7ds is a better speaker but do a search and you should find it.

15. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MartinCo

Did a search and found the general concensus is that the older 77DS are better speakers. Might see if I can get a pair of these instead of the m7ds.

I have another question.

My room that I will be installing these in is a long lounge (incorporates dining room). The sofa which will be the main listening point is half way in the room. I intend to put the surround speakers on the side wall and the surround backs on the rear wall. Will these surround backs be too far away from me for the ideal position or will they be ok? And also if I mount them at the top of the wall near the ceiling will they be ok at this height (or should I angle them downwards). I can't mount them lower as I have no room for them.

Thanks again

Daz

16. dvdforum

dvdforum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to set up a surround system and have decided that the Mission FS2AV set of speakers seem the best value for money option. Still unsure about what amp to buy so any advice would be helpful. In relation to the Missions, are they as difficult to install as some of the threads make out? They will be in my parents house and the tv is in the corner of quite a long room with a radiator quite closeby. The measurements are about 26.5ft by 11.5. Would two complete amateurs like myself and my dad be able to set it up? I live in the Republic of Ireland and I don't think that empiredirect or hi-fi junkies deliver to southern ireland so that my be a problem, anyone know a retailer who will deliver to ireland . I could get them delivered to the north but i will definitely order online as the cheapest local store wanted €950!

17. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daz... you should be fine with your setup, assuming I understand you... long room, sofa a fair bit of distance in?
    this is exactly what the speaker delay/ distance settings are for on your amp... just set this as you need it.

dvdforum - difficult is not really the word for it... finicky/ messy is more like it. should be no problem for the two of you if you can screw a few holes in the wall and strip some (thin) wire, assuming you are going to wall mount them.

you do need to spend time doing them though - setup rushed and incorrectly then the speakers can sound thin and unbalanced. time spent doing the install right, putting the sub in the correct place and getting the levels right will be paid back two or three fold time-wise later.

18. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have a silver pair of the Mission m7ds used for the surround-back, and even though I have the grey FS2AV package, it all blends in rather seemlessly. One word of warning though, both the m77ds and the m7ds are massive and makes a FS2 satelite look REALLY small - the Mission ds series looks ALOT bigger in real life than in the pictures.

As regards to which is the better speaker between the two (m77ds/m7ds), I honestly don't know for sure but I do know that 'What Hi Fi Magazine' gave the Mission M72 speaker package a 5/5 'Best Buy' in the awards for 2001, which consist of the m7ds as the surround speakers.

19. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your input am in the process ringing round now.

Am a bit disappointed with www.Hifijunkies.co.uk customer service. Having heard good things on here about them I thought I'd give them a ring to see what deal they could do me.

Two days now I have tried to ring them all through the day. All I keep getting is an answer machine. Have left numerous messages and even emailed them and have still had no reply.

Anyone else had these problems?

I will buy my speakers tomorrow as I have narrowed it down now to three suppliers. Will let you know of the outcome.

Thanks again for all your help

Daz

20. dvdforum

dvdforum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had no reply from them either, tried phoning and emailing, disappointed. Do you mind me asking what are the three retailers you have narrowed it down to?

21. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had narrowed it down to to three retailers:

empiredirect.co.uk Grey fs2av £369 & £10 P&P
    dicounttv.co.uk Silver fs2av £400 P&P FREE
    Sound & vision Silver fs2av £400 P&P inc (matched price)

I was just about to order them and I thought I'd give Hifijunkies.co.uk another go. I got through this time!!!!!!!!!!!!Shock horror!!!!

They also priced matched the speakers for me and promised delivery for tomorrow (Thursday). So I got them for £400 P&P free.

I still am looking now for either the Mission m7ds or the 77ds speakers and I guess its the decision that is holding me back. I still can't decide after reading various threads which ones to get. I guess if opinion is so close then it isn't going to matter that much. Will probably order either of them tomorrow now.

Will let you know how I get on.

Presumably for my surround back speakers I am going to have to buy some speaker cable (unless I have any spare let over after installing my fs2avs, but I doubt it). Anyone know what cable I should go for?

Thanks all

Daz

Daz

:clown:

22. PJG

PJG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also contacted hifijunkies, but had no response.... got fed up of waiting, so placed an order with www.superfi.co.uk who are happy to part with them for £399.95

23. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There shouldn't be a difference really between grey and silver. As the speakers are not conventionals pistonic types, you should be able to paint over them without causing any distortion, but check with Mission first.

24. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mission have already confirmed that you can paint the speakers.

25. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your replies. I am eager to set my speakers up now this weekend.

Anyone give me any advice for my 77DS speakers I am soon to purchase to accompany my missions.

What is the best speaker cable to use to connect these? I am thinking of trying to get hold of some more of the Mission fs2 flat cable?? Would this be any good for these or should I use something else and if so what?

If I have any left over cable when I install my fs2s I was going to use this. Although I think I am probably going to run out as my rear speakers will be at the rear of my room which is a long lounge-dining room.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

Daz

26. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the mission cable is meant to be specially for the FS2s.. dont know what it would be like for others. I doubt whether you would have enough left anyway.

richer do some reasonable flat white cable for about £1.50-2.00 per metre... not as thin as the mission stuff but okay for my Dad's hifi.

Ross do a little pack of flat cable, approx 10m/ 30ft in a pack I think. have a look on http://www.beyondhifi.com which is the last place I saw it.
    link for the ross stuff (0.5mm thick) is here at http://www.beyondhifi.net/shopping/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=500&CatID=161

hope all goes well.. and remember - dont rush, take your time with all of this.

Martin

27. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!!!!

If anyone has any spare mission fs2 cable left over please let me know. I am in the midlands and maybe interested in purchasing some off anyone or of course I'll accept it free :) :)

PS Are you logged on at work MartinCo like me or are you a man of leisure!?! :)

28. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    <cough> <cough> work.. but with messenger telling me when I have mail.

doing some upgrades on servers.. so I'd call it multitasking.

:D

29. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Tut tut!", He says (rather hypocritically!!)

Well I appreciate your help, you have been most informative and I look forward to hearing my system once it has been setup.

I have just a few things to buy now

1) Mission 77DS speakers (of which I have reserved at Richer Sounds and am still in two minds as to whether I should have gone for the m7ds in silver to "sort-of" match my fs2 silvers!).

2) Cable for my rear surrounds (77ds)

3) And interconnects for my dvd. I guess a coaxial digital sound cable between my dvd player and amp and ideally I guess I ought to replace the free scart lead that came with my player as I am sure I could improve the picture with a branded one.

If you have any more thoughts or suggestions please fire them back.

Much appreciated,

Daz (who is very very hard at work at this moment and not at all killing time until he finishes at 1.00 pm :))