1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS2 & Philips Q50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevieo, Jun 4, 2002.

1. stevieo

stevieo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a Philips Q50 DVD player and want to pair it up with a surround speaker package. I'm thinking of the Mission FS2-AV set (you can see I'm a fashion victim already) but do I need an amp with this? One of the plus points of the Philips was that it had audio decoding built in, but if I still need a separate amp that doesn't seem to be much use (so why did Philips bother?).

Can anyone suggest a suitable amp or an alternative speaker package that has its own amplification? I've read good things about the Acoustic Energy AEGO5 but nobody seems to have seen one yet outside the press ...

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer and help out a newcomer.

Cheers,

Steve

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no, you would need an amp with the FS2s.
    needs something that has speaker terminals.. ie not a 5.1dd/dts decoder as on the Q50.

think there are other alternatives that can go the way you suggest though... didnt the Klegg Eggs (not Kef) go like this... there was a review of at least one sub/sat set similar in WhatHifi if I find it.

3. stevieo

stevieo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply. Kind of makes me wonder why they bother putting a decoder in the DVD player in the first place.

Cheers.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no problem.

you were right though, it was the Acoustic Energy AEG set that
    let you plug your dvd player in directly via the 5.1 decoder.
    seems to be getting good reviews but obviously without the AEG decoder box you would only be able to connect your DVD player .. no video, tv etc. very limiting.

if you want to do more then you have to buy the separate decoder @ £250 so you may as well buy a proper amp.

that would then allow you to buy any other sets of speakers... including the FS2s or whatever you prefer...

they are an excellent set of speakers.. (got them myself so some bias), and a good mix of performance, looks and size... seem to be very popular with partners and wives due to the way they blend into the room.

5. stevieo

stevieo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, sounds like it's worth getting a separate amp. The Missions do seem to fit the bill and as you so rightly say "popular with wives" ...