1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS1AV Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KLAUD911, Jan 26, 2003.

1. KLAUD911

KLAUD911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got the Mission FS1AV speaker package?
    I am thinking of buying them, but want to know how they perform with playing music (as my DVD player is also used for playing CD's)

All opinions appreciated.

Cheers Steve

2. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had mine a while now, great with movies, no complaints at all. Good with most music, I have however found a small number of CDs that have a noticeable mid-range dip - this does not bother me as this seems to be a minority in terms of my CD collection. So overall very pleased and more than happy.

Steve.

3. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got them and they are OK but not breathtaking.

However they look nice. If music is your first choice I would suggest look elsewhere.

If your problem is the wife then the FS1s will cure this.

4. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm going to demo them next week hopefully so i'll be able to tell

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    To: Peter Shilton

When you say "OK but not breathtaking" are you referring to their ability for just music or are is that movies as well?

A more general question....is there anything that does achieve what seems to be impossible?
    1. Be Missus friendly
    2. Be good for movies
    3. Be good with music
      [/list=1]

Thanks all!

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if they're at all like the FS2s (which they are), then the overall setup of the FS1s is very important.

setup badly then they wont perform well at all, tinny, little mid-range, no cohesion.

setup right, with the sub levels correct for your particular room and perhaps the speakers wall mounted also, then they should do far better.

the sub also needs 75-100 hours to bed-in since its a conventional speaker.

7. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Whats the best way to setup the sub levels?

Just set mine to a fairly arbitrary level that appears to sound ok...is there a more scientific approach?

Steve.

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not sure about the scientific approach (sound meter etc), but the FS2 manual does have a section on this.

first, test with a standard stereo source first to get the sub level, so just a CD playing - do not test by using a 5.1 source like DVDs.

set the sub level to half and then test with a range of music, different types and sound ranges.

the sub level directly affects the sound from the nxt panels so increase the sub level if the sound is too bright, decrease if too warm/ bassy.

obviously, the location of the sub and its level is different for everyone with different rooms... no "perfect" way to have them.
    wall mounting or having the satellites very near to a wall increases the amount of bass/mid.. also having the sub in a corner or hard against a wall similarly improves things.

note however, its best to have the FS sub as near as possible to the middle of your soundstage, or at least well within the left/right speaker pair - the bass is more directional than a normal sub and will be noticeable if not.

once you are happy with the sound and bass level, then move upto a surround source.

set the LFE to about a third and then test your favourite pieces, increasing if necessary.

there should be a similar section in the FS1 manual.

if you rush it, the results can be pretty bad.. spend a bit more time then it improves drastically.

dont forget the 75-100 hours for the sub to warm up either.

9. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mystery man (whoever you are!!!):)

I was refering to music. For movies they are excellent unless you want to listen at very high volume levels.

If you want to listen to the gunshot in "Dodge this" from The Matrix at higher than 106Db then buy something else. The protection circuits cut in around this point.:mad:

Search the threads for more on this.

Peter

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    from what I can tell, the sub volume control has no effect when listening to a stereo source. I don't know why, as it doesn't have a digital feed to know whether the source is DD or not. Maybe it depends on having a signal on the LFE path?

All I know is my setup is a little bass-rich on music, but fine with movies

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No - the sub volume will affect stereo (CD) sources - definitely on the fs2 and pretty sure its exactly the same on the fs1.

presumeably there are still 2 dials on the fs1 sub... one for volume, the other for bass contour/ lfe (or similar)? pretty sure there was on the demo I had.

the sub works out the crossover for the satellites, so the sub volume affects everything - including stereo sources. the type of sound from the satellites is governed by the sub level... going from very harsh to too bassy.. somewhere in between, there should be a setting perfect for every room and layout.

LFE doesn't come into the equation at all yet.

Mission always recommend setting your sub/ bass volume level by playing a stereo source, preferably a range of say 5-10 completely different tracks..then move onto home cinema sources to set the LFE in addition. bar minor tweaking, it should be set almost right if you do it this way.

If you just set it using a dvd then you are bound to whack the bass and lfe up past the correct point. Loud and bassy may be good for movies, but not perfect for playing music.

might explain your description also richard..."a little bass-rich on music, but fine with movies"?

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    My setup also doesn't even have LFE piped to the FS1 - that goes to a separate sub, which isn't switched on when listening to music.
    I'll have a play tonight and see what I can do.

13. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no probs... 2 dials on the fs-1 sub then?
    the sub vol affecting the satellites is easy to prove, set the dial to zero and play some CD music.
    the satellites will sound awful, really tinny.. like a cheap FM radio.
    set it to max and they will sound too bassy, muddy... plain wrong.

QED :) somewhere between a third and two-thirds sub vol usually finds the right setting depending on your room and sub location.

any more and the bass is just too slow...

you dont tend to notice this during DVDs (more bass always sounds good but may actually be wrong) but if the bass is out of step with the satellites during stereo sound/music then its much more obvious.

if you know the pieces of music well, then it just sounds wrong.. out of key/ rhythm almost. (a big band Ella Fitzgerald track did this when I had the sub vol higher and with the sub off-centre, nearer the left satellite).

a wide range of music when testing is the main thing, say something acoustic or piano, something loud/ rock, plus maybe some orchestral/ opera so you get the full range of instruments and expected sound range.

14. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you are wrong. What you are describing is the effect that changing the sub volume has on the overall sound. If you turn the sub volume right down then the sub is effectively off, this will make the sound very tinny because there is no bass in the sound. Similarly, if you turn the sub volume all the way up then the sound will be very bass heavy. The sound that the satellites produce is probably much the same regardless of the sub volume setting

15. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, stu.. tested this long ago with the fs-2 set.. the satellites' "style" of output really does change with the sub level.

the sub works out the crossover for all 5 speakers, filters accordingly then passes it onto the satellites, filling in the rest.

NXT panels do produce some bass/ mid, ie.. they're not completely tinny.. increase the sub vol and the type of sound from the satellites changes quite radically.

I did test this standing approx 1 ft from a speaker so the bass from the sub 20ft away would've been easy to hear direction-wise if not the case.

16. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass frequencies are almost directionless. Hence why the position of the sub is almost entirely a consideration of the acoustics connected with its position and not where it is placed.

The only way to confirm that the sound from the satellites is changing would be to put the sub somewhere where you can't hear it. So your test was flawed and therefore can be disregarded.

17. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, no I have to disagree... yes, bass frequencies are almost directionless...but the human ear can surely tell the difference between mid & bass range sound from less than 1ft away and from 20+ft away.

yes, bass is almost directionless but not that much;).

remember nxt panels are not conventional speakers and aren't full range either, and the sub is not being used 100% conventionally either.
    its has to go much "higher" (for want of a better word) than a normal sub to fill in the rest of the sound range missing from the panels.

all speaker connections from the amp connect to the sub, and then the sub connect up to all the satellites... you can't run the speakers properly without the sub...(so you cant hide it to test as you describe).

fs nxt satellites have some mid range, and a little bit of bass.
    the sub works out the crossover for everything, and passes on the filtered sound to the satellites, leaving the rest for itself.

so if you increase the bass/ vol level on the sub, it does increase the amount of mid/bass on the satellites also.

18. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sorry
    have to poke my butt in here and say IMO Mission FS1 v. v. pricey for what it is- the fact is that NXT is no comparison for good moving coil loudspeakers. The sound is completely flat, and sounds very compressed for both music and movies.Add the fact that the stands that make them look half decent are £140 for 2 pairs, and at £540 in total seems very expensive.
    For that, you could buy an equally discrete Mordaunt SHort Premiere package that absolutely slaughters it, and you're not compromised by the stupid speaker wire plugs etc or the supplied (underpowered) sub

19. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the stands aren't essential at all, you can just wall mount them and they look fine.

both versions are available for around £350 now.

you're also being a bit harsh in your view, they're not certainly as flat or compressed as you describe them..far better than that IMHO.

I'd happily take them over my previous conventional Tannoy speakers, the Missions wipe the floor with them in both movies and music when setup properly.

Like all sub/sats they're a compromise, if you have the space in your (living?) room for conventional speakers then fine. if not, then they are well worth considering.

20. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my fs1s sound awful at the minute,they are wired as reccomended through the sub then onto my denon 2801 amp.

there is no real high frequencies from the nxt sats they sound very dry? dull? like some kids cheap hifi? even with the denon amps treble on max! i thought nxt speakers were designed to give a wider high frequency sound. peoples vocals seem very duffed

anyone know if wiring the nxt sats straight to the back of the denon amp would work?or make the sound better?

or any tips from any of you guys who have fs1s/denon amps.:confused:

21. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mission fs system For £299 in BETALLS IN kingston or bracknell. Not bad just paid £350 for mine. gutted:hiya: