Mission fs1AV speakers any good?

They`re on my list too so I thought a bump might help - I am going to listen to a dem this week, but would appreciate comments from anyone using them.

I have the Mission FS1's connected to a Sony 930 and very happy.

Bass is very good - more than i was expecting. Brought them from www.hifistore.co.uk for £459 including speaker stands. Service from them was excellent.

They certainly look the business and for the price are great value.

Is it right one wire connects to the amp form the sub????
I mean all the speakers connect to the sub and then from the sub theres one wire going to your amp??.
I take it the subs not going to blow if you turn the amp up alot?
Thanks.

Mark,

What do they sound like with music?

cant find anyone locally who is demoing them.

To answer the above two questions:

All speakers connect to the sub via special speaker cables (these are supplied). You get 3 x 3.5 metres for the fronts and centre and 2 x 10 metres for the rears. You can get extension cables (I have one on order).

The Sub connects to the Amp via a 5 metre cable.

All cables are supplied as well as stands for 4 speakers and wall mounts for 2 speakers. I also ordered the matching front stands which look great.

The speakers are better for Surround than direct Musical output.

They should not really be purchased if Hifi is your primary concern. For Surround they are superb and as they are NXT speakers positioning is not as critical as normal speakers.

from my now dead post, can someone offer a thought on this?:

I'm looking for the best way to wire up my mission FS1's

But what about my current sub (little PDR10)? There are 3 options I can think of, and I'd like some advice on which is best (or option 4!)

1) just use the mission speakers and sell my current sub. missions will do all frequencies including LFE

2) Use a Y-splitter to connect both the mission and my current sub to the LFE out on my receiver, and they can share the LFE duties.

3) Just connect my current sub to the sub out, and leave the mission sub to handle the 'normal' bass for the main speakers.

I figure 3 would be best, but thats just because I'd expect the mission sub to have trouble doing all the bass for the mains AND the LFE. But my other sub isn't great, so maybe it could do with a hand.

£316 WOW:eek:
Is this qed a good place to buy stuff from????
Anyone bought anything form them??
I've looked at those speakers today in a shop near me they looked very good indeed.
Would like to get them in a few weeks but that offer of £316 looks to good to be true??

A couple of my mates have used them before and had no complaints. I agree £316 is an amazing price.

Originally posted by richard plumb
from my now dead post, can someone offer a thought on this?:
I'm looking for the best way to wire up my mission FS1's

I figure 3 would be best, but thats just because I'd expect the mission sub to have trouble doing all the bass for the mains AND the LFE. But my other sub isn't great, so maybe it could do with a hand.

since you've already got the sub doing nothing, worth having a try and see what the results are like.

3) with the sub doing the lfe sounds like a decent idea in principle, though I don't know the sub you mention. it was what I originally was suggested to Bleach before he got 2 FS2s sets of speakers.

not sure of your room size, so the FS-1 by itself may suffice anyway.

Originally posted by matrixsc
Is this qed a good place to buy stuff from????
Anyone bought anything form them??

I've been told they are the warehouse business that support and supply all Miller Brothers stores.

I've not bought anything from them..................yet!!! :D

Mark, thanks for your informative post, could you tell me where you have ordered the extension cable from ??
The length of wire that is supplied with the speakers is concerning me at the moment.
Also can you order additional wall brackets ??
Thanks .....

Ordered extra cable from same place I bought FS1's (www.hifistore.co.uk). They have been excellent. You can also get extra wall brackets from them (£18 a pair). Look under the Mission link on their site.

One word of warning. The web site mentions that the extra cable can extend the existing cable you get with the FS1's. I don't think this is true as I ordered another 10M cable and cannot see how it can connect to the existing cable. Will come back on this one when I get a reply from the store.

you can't seem to wall mount the centre speaker though, which is what I'm looking to do. The speaker itself has different connection points so I don't think a wall bracket would even fit.

Its a bit shortsighted to assume that everyone will put the speaker on top of a TV. What about plasma / projector owners? Its a lifestyle product, I'm sure plenty of plasma owners will buy them.

Also purchased FS1 after listening to quite a few around this price range.

Another good supplier is Leconcepts which I purchased them from.

Also the sub lead that connects into the amp contains all th eindividual cables for the surround speakers so these need connecting as well.

Kwack

Originally posted by kwack
Also the sub lead that connects into the amp contains all th eindividual cables for the surround speakers so these need connecting as well.

same as the fs2, so not unexpected.

the fixed lengths of wire are a pain though, but not unexpected in terms of ease of use for everyone.

Just out of interest are there holes at the rear of the centre speaker to allow you to 'make' a bracket as I intend hanging the speaker above by new plasma ??
I agree that it is shortsighted that a bracket for this purpose has not been thought about..

Just bought the FS1s yesterday and am delighted with them. My wife is happy too, now that we have got the Eltax floorstanders out of the way. They were making the Tosh ungainly.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the QED thread that said they were £313 so I paid £400. I am now gutted. Please someone tell me that QED haven't got any or that delivery is 15 weeks!!

Yes the centre speaker has a tin bracket on it fastened by a hole in the back, so if you want to make your own bit of Meccano it will be OK.

I will have to lengthen the amp to sub cable though. The standard one is 5 metres, I need about 12 metres. If Mission dont make a longer one I will have to extend theirs.

Also the speaker cables supplied are too short. My room is 24ft long and by the time it has gone round the walls etc I will need the 20 metre cable.

If I put the sub behind the TV will it be too muffled? I have an RPTV so it has a large cabinet.

Bought a set 2 weeks ago from QED-UK online for £313 - best price anywhere - cheapest elsewhere was£399 at HIFibitz. They seem really good. Have them set up with Pioneer DV454 and VSX C100 Receive/Amp

Order your extra leads 0r brackets direct from Mission. - I ordered a 20m cable for £13 including delivery, and 2 wall brackets for £6.60 plus £3 delivery - they deliver them within 48 hours.

you can't join existing cables, you have to buy 3.5m, 10m or 20m.
The only drawback is 'tacking' them round the room (I did mine under the coving) then lead them in to the speaker.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that BigTel, where did you find the tel number for Mission, is it on their website ?? Thanks ....

I read a review today in one of the mags that was generally good but had concerns about the bass ability of the speakers. I plan to use a set for my home cinema set up but also need to know that the music playback has a resonable level of quality/bass for the odd CD or the kids MTV type playback. Just how iffy is the musical abilityof these speakers? I know its difficult to draw comparisons but I would appreciate any help. I`m not an audiophile, but couldn`t live with crap either. Thanks

On another note, I have used qed before and they were very good so I will definitely order from them again.

assuming the FS-1s are similar to the FS-2s (which they are... direct descendants), then there shouldn't be a problem with bass.. perfectly acceptably levels. the sub will fill in here anyway and can be tuned to your own personal preferences.

as for the musical side of things, I much prefer the stereo sound of my fs2s to my previous stand mounted Tannoys. a much better stereo image (over a wider range) and far more detailed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom