Mission FS1

Malone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
At the present I have 6 X LCR S2 (B&W,s) all round the room. In the interest of "marital bliss" I am considering selling them and getting some sats and a sub. Having been used to large speakers and never having heard (obviously I will have to demo) sats and sub working I was wondering how they perform.

Matt

Can't see how you'll achieve "marital bliss" when after you sell the B&W's and get the FS1's, she's happy and you are left wondering what the hell happened to the mid-range......:confused:

If it was me, I'd but my wife some nice jewellery or an overseas trip instead.

Well I suppose "marital bliss" was a bit strong, maybe "anything to stop the moaning" (which doesn't relate to bedroom antics) is nearer the truth. Anyway you've answered my question, looks like she'll have to put up with 6 monoliths round the room and i'll have too put up with the "moaning"

Cheers Matt...............

Matt, I must agree with Nobber22, I'm sure you'll notice less midrange with the FS1s. But in their defence "Rowbos" has a set mounted about 4-5 feet up in the corners of his room and they look great and are very discrete (definately no monoliths). I've heard them with Blade 1 & II and various CD's. IMO they produce a very impressive sound and we only notice the lack of midrange in certain CD tracks,but it's by no means a big problem overall.

The best aspect (again IMO) is that the sound is so clear. I sat in on his demo and the believeability of the guitar and drums in "Jeff Becks - Guitar Workshop" was better than my B&W 602 S3s The FS1AVs were auditioned against the much praised Elac Cinema One 5.1 system and it was as if the Elacs were stuffed in wooly socks.

I definately recommend a demo as the compromise may be well worth it.

Jeff

I realise that magazine reviews are subjective bue Home Cinema Choice recommend the lastest NXT mission set, and gave it a very good overall review. In fact they even state that mid-range is present....

It may be worth searching the latest issue down. £3.65 only.

Captain Benefit.

Having the same issue as you I compromised (atleast it felt like it at the time) on the FS2-AV mounted in the corners of the ceiling/wall for the rears and either side of the tele at the front. As home cinema speakers they are superb, warm, no boxiness with a room filling sound. If you play mainly music then you will notice some midband clarity lacking but for movies and quailty of life they beat the Kef Eggs hands down.

I'm having some problems with distorted sound with my FS1's and would be grateful if anyone had any ideas for a solution. I've had them approx. a month now and did notice it from the off to be honest. Thought they perhaps just needed running in but they're still exhibiting the same issue a month down the line so it's become a bit of a worry. Basically it's a vibrating distortion of what I can only assume is when they're fed above a certain frequency. It's sounds like the sort you get if you crank a mono telly or naff car sound system too loud, a kind of audible physical vibration of the drive units. It doesn't occur too often but is easily heard above the present soundtrack and is obviously quite a distraction. Strangely it's doesn't seem that full-rate DTS tracks are more susceptible than say mono ones. I've generally noticed it more on roughly recorded mono or 2-stereo discs thus far. Definitely noticed that choral effects in a soundtrack are a certainty to suffer from it. Also, it seems to be mitigated by covering the foam tweeter things at the rear of the speakers though this probably wouldn't do the drive units any good whatsoever. All connections are definitely present and correct and it's rare I crank the volume above the quarter mark on my Sony STR930 amp. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything and fiddling with the equalizer settings on the amp. Also tried changing the sub 'On/Off' and speakers 'Small/Large' settings but all to no avail. The sub itself does seem to hum rather loudly...Not sure if this is the norm for these as it's my first one?

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for any replies.

Does it come from all the speakers - or just the centre?

My sub does hum fairly loudly - if the tv and everything is off and you sit next to it - you can notice it, otherwise its ok.

Cant say i have ever noticed any distortion as such from my FS1's, and i have had them pretty loud.

Where did you buy them from? Have you spoken to your supplier - or even spoken to Mission directly?

Steve.

Cheers for the reply Steve. I haven't spoken to the supplier (Sound and Vision) or Mission as yet but I think I'll get in touch with Mission and see if they can offer up some pointers. Two of the speakers seem to be worst offenders than the others. I've swapped them around quite a bit to see if it helped decimate the problem but nothing really helps. I'm thinking it's perhaps due to the drive units been unstable inside the shells/units. Courier companies don't exactly treat these things with much respect en route which could well be the cause unfortunately :rolleyes: I'm tempted to try and dismantle the front grids and see if the inners can be resecured in any manner. But I'm not really sure whether it's wise to do anything like that until I've spoken to Mission, especially as I wouldn't have the foggiest as to what I'm really doing...

Yep, i would try Mission first.

Someone did tell me these things were a 'bit' fragile - so maybe yours had a bit of rough treatment at the hands of the courier?

Steve.

My centre speaker resonated. I rang mission and they stuck me another one in the post.

It came in a couple of days. Very impressed with mission customer service.

However, how loud does your system go. At 106db my protection circuit cuts in. Should have thought it would be louder than that. It is about -15Db on my Sony 1070.

Been to around -9 on my Denon 1603, not too sure how that compares?, and that sounded fine.

Steve.

It depends what that is in decibels.

All amps will have different settings.

Mine beaks down at about 106. Mission said that that is about where the protection circuit will cut in. Can anyoneget louder on there FS1s

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom