Mission FS1

Z

ZZR

I've had several requests from people logging onto our site for info on the Mission fs1.

I realise several of you have bought the system, would you be willing to write a short review of it? If so, please post them in this thread and I hope you will allow me to copy and paste onto my site (I will refer to the original post and author of course)

I have the Mission FS1 and am very happy with them.

This is my first 5 speaker package so can't really compare to others but I wanted something that sounded good, looked good and took up as little room as possible.

Sound wise I was very impressed by the large sound from such a small speaker. Bass is excellent although there is some lacking in the mid-range which I think is common in this type of package.

For the money they are excellent value. You receive all the necessary cables and table stands for 4 speakers as well as 2 wall brackets for the rears.

I also purchased the FS1 stands which look superb.

Overall I am well happy. Let me know if you need any more information.

Just picked my FS1's up yesterday together with a Denon 1603 receiver.

Plugged it in last night and out of the box sounded pretty good.

Need to spent some time now setting it up and hiding all those cables...then running the speakers in - 24 hours is what Mission recommends i believe?

Anyway, looks good, sounds good (going from my demo last week at Audio T), and cant wait to get them going properly!

They certainly can rock with movies - though my wife was non too impressed last night by the Matrix lobby scene at midnight :(

I did notice that when i tried to adjust the bass volume on the sub - it seemed to make no difference at all - this was playing music though - i remember reading somewhere that this control only has an effect on 5.1 digital sources - is this right? Or have i got something on the amp/speakers setup incorrectly?

Steve.

Tried the sub volume control again, and it does just seem to work with DTS and DD sources...

I bought the mission FS1s to keep the wife happy.

First impressions were good, but then for some seious listening I had real problems with the centre speaker.

had to adjust the settings a fair bit and now it is a lot better. Also I bought the stands to lift the speakers off the floor and moved the centre speaker from below my TV to above it. It has improved things. Good for playing loudish, but when you want is really loud for an action film it is lacking. Maybe it needs running in. I hope so.

Music was better than I thought and was pleased until I bought a 6cd collection of all Cliff Richard's singles, on the basis that there will be some classics in there from my past to reminisce.

However when i played the first disc it sounded terrible. Really tinny.

I was quite dissappointed. There was areal mid tange gap.

I was gutted after spending all my hard earned dosh on the FS1s to find they weren't as good as I expected. I then put the Cliff Richard CDs on the system in my fromnt room and they still sounded tinny. PHEW!!!

However the jury is still out. I am hoping they will turn out to be great. Perhaps I need a sound meter to set them up perfectly.

Still waiting for extra wall brackets from Mission to be delivered so i can set the sats up as i need to...

When you say you had to adjust the settings a fair bit, what did you change exactly...?

What amp do you have and what settings do you have for all the speakers, crossover frequency in the amp etc?

What volume setting on the subdo you have set? (how far round on the dial?)

And how big is your room?

When you say that you had a problem with the centre - was it not loud enough compared to the others (this is my impression using the default settings).

As mine is not setup properly yet, i have not had too much time to play - as you said - initial impressions are good, and music sounds quite good too. But i would be interested in your settings to compare with what i have and also to see if your settings improve my setup!

Cheers,

Steve.

Today received my extra wall brackets and cables - so now to get them mounted and play with the settings i suppose...

So any input on how to configure these babies with a Denon 1603 Amp would be greatly received...

Room size is approx 12ft by 17ft with the sats in the corners of the room, centre on top of the tv and sub in the corner by the tv.

Currently all speakers set to large, and sub set to LFE+Main, i am using the umbilical Mission sub cable from amp to sub then all sats are connected to sub as recommended.

All speakers are set to 0db adjustment currently, centre dialogue seems a bit light sometimes...any recommendations/comments on what settings you all use?

Cheers,

Steve.

Well, here are my settings. (It doesn’t mean their right!!!)

I have a Sony 1070 amp which is probably different to yours but anyway….

With the sub settings, LFE high cut etc the amp defaults to standard at 120hz. I have left these the same.

My sub is +2 dDb as is my centre speaker (+2Db)

My centre speaker is on top of the TV and the speakers are on the (beautiful) stands.

The rear speakers are set to small. The handbook is a bit misleading as it doesn’t mention the rear size settings, but I assume that small is correct.

The distance measurement made a surprising difference. As speaker placement is not supposed to be critical I didn’t think distance would make much difference.

Also I had my surrounds turned up too high. They are now on 0.

I still find dialogue in some films quiet. I watched The Game last night and had to turn up the centre a bit.

I have the sub turned up halfway.

I could do with a sound meter to improve things but a digital one from Maplins was £49.95 and the assistant said the cheap ones are crap, don’t bother with them.

Hope this helps.

If your rears are set to small - what are the others set to?

I did read a previous thread that stated all sats should be large as the sub would filter out the low frequencies anyway?

I have just called the shop i bought my amp and speakers from (Audio T) and arranged to borrow an SPL meter tomorrow night so i can (try) to set-up my kit with some semblance of order...

My sub is also on halfway - have not really played with this setting much yet...anyone else got a comment to make on this setting?

Cheers,

Steve.

Mission tell you to set the fronts to large.

I assume therefore that you set the rears to small, otherwise they would say set all speakers to large.

IMO anyway.

Just looked in the FS1 manual i got with my speakers and page 11 says "Set the front, centre and rear channels to 'LARGE' (the FS subwoofer and sattelites share the full bandwidth of the audio signal using an internal crossover)."

Steve.

thanks Steve

I am:

1) going to change my setting

2) going to learn to read

pete

LOL

Got all my speakers on the walls now..

I did check my speakers with an SPL today.

After setting the distances a bit more accurately i was left with the following...

FL 0db
C +3db
FR 0db
SL 0db
SR 0db
Sub 0db

So default settings are pretty good as long as i have set the distances correctly (this seems to make a big difference - got my tape measure out!).

Centre speaker at this level is slightly above 75db on the SPL - but i prefer the effect like this.

And it is all starting to sound pretty good...may make some further adjustments later...?

Cheers,

Steve.

Originally posted by rowbos
LOL

Sub 0db

Steve.

What volume level is your sub. If it is halfway then i am suprised that you dont have to turn your sub down a bit

Why?

What level is yours now?

I think mine is a bit less than 1/2 way now - did you have problems at this level and turn it down a bit? (think mine was a little boomy so i tweaked it down and it seems to be ok now).

Steve.

I was led to believe that you should set your sub about halfway the n turn it down with the amp settings when balancing.

I did this and my sub is -4, with my centre +2, surrounds -1

i am considering buying the mission fs1 speakers (due to girlfriend not wanting big speakers in the room) and just wondered how you are all getting on with them after a few month's use?

i'm a little concerned reading your comments on problems with the centre channel and lack of mid range

cheers

neil

More than happy, for the price and the looks they are great.

And they certainly go loud enough to cause lots of wife grief!

Steve.

i was looking at this speaker package- a thing of beauty
1) cant fid picture of the stands
2) whats the best price ive seen it for 380
3) whats the best amp to run it with i was looking to buy a marantz 4300??

For me they don't go loud enough.

However I will be sticking with them as I have put new coving up and decorated with the wires behind, and they look great and the wife accepts them.

Not breathtaking for music, but good enough.

Life is full of compromises.

Am I happy with them - Yes

Would I buy them again - No

Work that one out!!!
:confused:

I'm generally very happy with movies, but for music you notice the lack of mid-range a bit more, and also the sub is a little bass-heavy for music. Can't seem to adjust this on the sub, and my amp doesn't let me adjust the equaliser for music modes (only DD/DTS)

mission fs system For £299 in BETALLS IN kingston or bracknell. Not bad just paid £350 for mine. gutted

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom