1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS1 Sub Thumps - Help!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rowbos, Aug 1, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After my (slight) dissapointment today looking at alternative speakers to current FS1's, I thought I would speak to Mission to see if they could solve my sub thumping probs...

The guy I spoke to thought it must be some earthing problem between the amp and the sub...

After some more experimentation, this is what happens...

If I turn off the active sub, but leave all cables attached between amp and sub, the sub (of course) does not make any noise, but I hear a click from the sats when I change sources or stop/start a DVD - in fact if anything happens that causes some kind of switch in the amp.

If I then unplug the sub RCA cable from either end (amp or sub), the clicks go away (but leave the rest of the speakers still attached).

If the sub is switched on then the sub thumps very loudly and sats just click...

So whatever is causing this problem is transmitted down/received by the amp to sub RCA connection.

I tried to gnd the amp and sub together - not easy as the sub is mainly plastic, but did not get any joy - not sure if i managed a gnd so this may still be the option.

I know the FS1's are good, tried them with a different amp today, no probs, they just dont like my new amp!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Otherwise its another call to Mission on Monday.

Steve.

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sounds like your amp may be faulty. I have encountered this problem on two different Yamaha DSPAX630 amps. Loud low frequency thump when inputs are switched or surround modes switched. Apparently faulty capacitors in the amp. They had to be repaired by Yamaha.
    What amp are you using?

3. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    New Panasonic SA-XR45, but I have tried this amp now with two different speaker packages, there was no problem, only have a problem with the FS1's!

And the FS1's are fine with other amps - just the Panasonic+Mission combination is a problem...

4. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    had the same with my sub and ax10,turns out to be something in the amp called a muting transistor!tiny thing the size of an ant,unilet in new malden are fixing it for me to morrow.:D

5. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But did the problem occur with just your sub - or was it ok with other speakers?

I had kind of discounted the amp having a problem as it works ok with other speaker sets...

Steve.

6. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Might still be your amplifier.
    The FS1 package has all the speakers connected through the sub. The problem may be highlighted by the filtering/processing in the sub. Did the other speaker packages you tried connect this way, or were the main speakers connected direct to the amp?
    Maybe you could take the amp to the dealer who sold you the Missions and try it on theirs.
    You might just be unlucky and this combination is not an ideal match.

7. sheriff1972

sheriff1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find a fix for this problem between the Panasonic SAXR series of amps (mine is a 57), and the Mission FS1 subwoofer...?

It is bloody annoying!

Cheers

Sheriff