Mission FS1 questions

M

mikeblanche

Hello all,

I'm delurking so be gentle!

I'm considering buying the Mission FS1AV speaker set to replace my current Mission speakers - 703 fronts, 701 rears, 70C2 centre and 70AS subwoofer (they're for sale but that's for a post in a different forum :). Girlfriend doesn't like the big black boxes.

I have some questions, wondering if someone who has the FS1 set can answer them...?

* the system apparently comes with funny flat speaker cable, do you have to use their speaker cable or can you use any?
* does the link from your amp to the subwoofer connect using the five speaker connections and the subwoofer line output, or do you need 6 channel line output?
* I've got a Sony DB930 receiver I'm planning on using with these speakers, anyone think of any gotchas with this?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Mike

I would home demo them mission flatpanels before you buy them. Standard speakers (what you've got already) outperform flatpanels for sound quality.

Yeah, I know they sound different to proper big speakers. A friend of mine has the Denon flat-panel set which is similar to the Missions... the sound isn't quite as "full" as proper speakers but unfortunately not having a dedicated home cinema room any more I have to make compromises with SWMBO.

mike

* the system apparently comes with funny flat speaker cable, do you have to use their speaker cable or can you use any?

Well the cable has special plugs on it so yes you do really - unless you could get hold of the plugs and make your own up...?

* does the link from your amp to the subwoofer connect using the five speaker connections and the subwoofer line output, or do you need 6 channel line output?

Yes 5 speaker connections and the sub line out are used.

* I've got a Sony DB930 receiver I'm planning on using with these speakers, anyone think of any gotchas with this?

Dunno, I have a Denon 1603 which drives my FS1's quite merrily!

Cheers,

Steve.

you can get the mission fs1 system in BENTALLS DEPARTMENT STORE IN EITHER KINGSTON OR BRACKNELL FOR AN AMAZING £299 instead of £450 rrp. Be Quick

Sorry to back up a bit - i have just got a set of Denon nxt speakers but they appear incompatable with my pioneer vsxc100.
The Sub powers front speakers - which means crossover is buggered up.

Mike could u ask your mate whay Av amp he is using

Thanks

Thanks for help just another quickie

I got the denon nxt's also from richer sounds for £299 price matched but they didnt tell me about incompatibilty problems

I think ill go get the missions FS2 (£350 ) instead.

Are the missions wired directly to the amp or from the sub like the Denon system?

The Mission FS1s are wired via the sub.

There is an umbilical from the speaker outputs of the amp (and subwoofer line out) to the FS1 subwoofer, and then cables to the NXT speakers from there.

If you're going back to RS for the FS1s I got them to pricematch www.hifibitz.co.uk who are doing the FS1s for 350 quid.

mike

Does anyone know where there are some decent pictures of the FSI speakers?

Everyone seems to use the same picture that isn't very clear and makes the speakers look cylindrical but I understand they're flat?

I want to buy the FS1's but the wife has seen Sony's all in one DAVS880 speakers in Comet and they've got her all excited:(

Hello again Mike

Whats the difference between Fs1 & fs2 ?

I found out that the Denon Nxt system sub has to drive the front speakers as well - so the amp and the sub are in conflict.

I can either buy a new sub and wire 5 Nxt to amp or swap the whole lot for a mission package.

both options will cost about £350::suicide:

I can only find the same pictures for what i want also - lol

I want to buy the FS1's but the wife has seen Sony's all in one DAVS880 speakers in Comet and they've got her all excited
Go and see the FS1's in the flesh, I took the missus and she really liked the look of them, so bought mine Saturday. Also alot of people on the forums do not like the DAVS, they were my first choice before I started reading the forums.

Whats the difference between Fs1 & fs2 ?
The FS1's are the newer version of the FS2's although some people think the FS2,s sound better. I play about 50/50 movies and CD's, I sent an e-mail to mission with this info and they reckoned the FS1's were better suited to music compared with the 2's

The speakers are not completely flat, they're probably elliptical in cross-section, approx maybe an inch and a half deep and 3 inches across.

They come with two wall mounting stands, and four desk stands (the centre speaker has a built-in desk stand).

Some people prefer the older FS2s to the new FS1 but having not demo'd the two against each other I can't comment.

Mike

I also play 50% music and to me the speakers sounds nice and warm after running them in for a while. The CSII mode in the amp is fantastic. I toggle between this mode and stereo when I listen to cd's. And I also just listened to Luther Vandross "An evening of songs" dvd which was recorded in royal albert hall, and the sound in 5.1 is very good through the speakers. I am sure there are many better speakers, in particular standard constructions, but if you want discreet but good looking industrial design for this kind of price, there isn't much out there.

Wasabi

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom