1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission FS1 Humming Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ajp558, Jun 22, 2003.

1. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry for the long post but my new sub hums & I am losing what little hair I have left... :(

I bought a Mission FS1/AV surround speaker package from Richer Sounds yesterday. However, the subwoofer persistently hums as soon as the power is switched on. It does this regardless of whether it is connected to anything else - receiver or speakers, and regardless of whether any other equipment is on or off. I have tried different wall sockets & different rooms in the house but the hum continues as soon as the sub is switched on. Even moving the sub alone upstairs makes no difference.

I have read stacks of previous threads & looked at the ground loop issue, but don't think its that as it hums consistently whatever it is connected or not connected to, & we don't have cable TV, and I have tried it with all of our cordless phones switched off just in case.

The hum sound to me like it is coming from the amp/power supply inside the woofer, and not the speaker. The hum does not increase or decrease in volume when the sub or receiver volume controls are adjusted (with or without any music being played).

I would have expected a minor amount of electrical sound from a sub, but would only expect to hear it if my ear was almost against the body of the sub. This hum though can be heard anywhere in a 26ft by 11ft lounge. There is no way I can leave the sub on unless I am watching a loud film or listening to loud music. Now I have heard it that is all I can focus on when I am using the system. I hope this is not what Mission meant when they say that there is "no sweet spot" with these speakers.

Before anyone replies along the lines of "it hums because it doesn't know the words..." can any other Mission FS1 owners let me know whether their subs hum in a similar fashion please? My brother has the similar Denon SCAV 100 NXT setup & his sub does not hum so he leaves it on all the time.

Something which strikes me as strange about this sub from Richers is that is doesn't have a normal 3 prong UK plug, instead it appears to have a 2 pin shaver type plug inside a black plasic 3 pin "Power Connections Euro Converter Plug" with the central earth pin just being a piece of black plastic. So could this be a Euro import which is not suited to such a conversion with a UK electricity supply, and there is nothing I can do other than return it for a refund? The lack of any user manuals or Mission warranty card leads me to think that this is going to be the case.

So I would be grateful for any feedback from other FS1 owners as I am keen to decide how to progress this as soon as Richers are open tomorrow.

Cheers,
    AJP.

2. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for piece of mind i would return the sub, i dont know of anyother subs that buzz whilst in standby. i would almost certainly say somethings not right!

3. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes hamtaro, I think that is the way it is looking. Just about the only other thing I can think of would be take apart the plug convertor & turn the 2 pin plug inside it around. Although I don't know if this is possible or advisable I was wondering if this reversed the polarity or something then maybe that would fix it. On the other hand I don't want to blow anything up.

The wife has demanded that the sub be turned off as she can't stand it any longer.

Looks like I'll be packing it all away tomorrow. I will try to see if they have any replacements in stock & ask whether I can listen to just the sub plugged into mains before swapping or buying.

AJP.

4. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would i be right in believing the sub was part of an all in one system? if not try and get a sub elseware.richer will try and sell you one of there boom boxes...and by all acounts look nice but perform poor. i was on a budget and bought a velodyne vx10 for 199.00, its an excellent sub and will outperform anything in the same price scale that richer sounds have on offer.check these forums in the powerbuys section.

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer will probably only have subs by, gale. eltax, morduant short[maybe]paradigm.

6. tpugs

tpugs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought FS1 and have EXACTLY the same humming from the Sub.....did you send yours back? .... what was the outcome?

Cheers

7. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    tpugs,

I took mine back to another RS branch the next day & they replaced it with another one. :D

Unfortunately that now hums the same. :thumbsdow

I think I will call Mission as my next step. I don't want a refund as I have all the speakers wall mounted & spent ages setting it all up after purchasing extra wall mounts from Mission.

If I get any feedback then I'll post back here. Please do let me know if you get anywhere with your set. I don't know how bad yours is but I just can't believe that they are meant to be like that.

I went to listen to my brothers Denon SCAV100 NXT speaker & sub set (made by Mission for Denon) and his sub is completely dead quiet when powered on. In fact I didn't believe that he had switched it on even with my ear pressed against the top of the sub.

Here's hoping we get them sorted,
    AJP.

8. tpugs

tpugs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've hooked my FS1's upto a Panasonic SA-XR45, and still the sub hums....and worse, everytime I change channel, or Dolby mode, or volume, the sub pops loudly.

I've checked and double checked the wiring, nothing seems to be shorting (although the Panasonic only uses spring clips, not 'banana's).

When playing - it's a delight....but the humming and popping is getting me down.

Mission a have emailed me a long list of things to try - but in the meantime, have any of the guru's out there got any ideas?

Cheers

9. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    maybe a little late but check all connections if there is a wire loose my sub has a low buzz

10. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any joy with the humming tpugs?

11. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I dont own mission speaker, but a friend of mine who is an eletrician who was confronted with the same Humming problem disconnected the earth wire from the lead and the humming stopped.
    Why dont you give that a go and see if its going to work for you as well.