Mission FS1 AV 6.1 + Yamaha RX-V650 - How to get 7.1?

J

jpo

I've been offered the chance to buy some Mission FS1's (6.1 set) at a reasonable price.. This could be an ideal 'domestic solution' - wife and small child who likes pushing over my Eltax Chroma floor standers.. (The child that is, not the wife..)

Can't get the manual for the Mission's from their web site.. can anyone help with whether I can/how I might use the front/rear presence speakers that are supported by the Yamaha, though not supplied with the Mission set? From a quick search of this site, I believe I can simply directly wire 'presence speakers' to the Yamaha receiver.. up to me whether my pockets are deep enough to purchase the additional NXT speakers? i.e. All the speakers in a 6.1 setup are expected to be fed via the Mission sub, which does not itself support the additional presence speakers that the Yamaha does..

Hope this makes sense!

Peter

ive the same speakers 6.1 too are the speakers ur getting 6.1 from the sub ???
i ask cos my set up is 5 .1 from the sub then the "6th" being run from the amp
so i think youd be better running the 2 speakers from the amp but the sound (music wise ) isnt as bad as some say hope this helps!!

J

jpo

are the speakers ur getting 6.1 from the sub ???
Good question.... Don't know is the honest answer... will have to ask.. Though I think you have confirmed what I think you need to do if you want to try using front l/r and separate rear l/r presence speakers.. just wire them to the amp.. That being the case..... anyone have any thoughts on whether these additional presence speakers ought to be NXT's?

Peter

are they for music reproduction? if so i would say get some regular speakers

J

jpo

jelly said:
are they for music reproduction? if so i would say get some regular speakers
Solving the safety issue is more important at the moment... The Yamaha can run two sets of front speakers, so I have the option of putting back some decent music speakers... starting with the collection I have in my loft!

Peter

fordster

NXT speakers can't handle bass so you can't wire them direct to the amp. They need to go through the sub as this handles the crossover automatically regardless of the settings at the amp. You would need to buy a conventional speaker to wite direct to the amp but this would probably not match the other speakers so I'd say you're stuck with 6.1. Unless you've got a big room I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem as there's no such thing as 7.1 it's simply that the rear channel is sent to 2 speakers at the same time instead of just the one in 6.1

utter toss ive got a mission fs1 speaker set up as my surround centre for a year with no problem the only thing to remember is to set the speaker to small!!!!

J

jpo

jelly said:
....ive got a mission fs1 speaker set up as my surround centre for a year with no problem the only thing to remember is to set the speaker to small!!!!
Jelly... I take it that yours is the 5.1 set to which you have added another NXT as the rear centre and wired it directly to your amp to arrive at a 6.1 setup? Apologies, if I've misunderstood..

I'm interested in the 6.1 set that Mission sell, to which I *think* I might like to add another rear effect to make it a 7.1 setup. (I have no idea what this might sound like, but the Yamaha Rxvr can handle it and so I think I ought to try it... Boys'n'their toys!) What I think I would need to do is connect BOTH the original supplied rear centre and the the additional NXT speaker directly to my rxvr. A note from Mission themselves appears to confirm this. Any thoughts on this yourself?

If I'm completely overtaken by madness, and a rush of blood to the credit card, I might also like to try hooking up an additional pair of panels as front presence speakers. Again, have no idea of the sense of doing this, and I appreciate Yamaha's DSP modes are not popular with many, but the front presence speakers work well on my current Eltax Chroma setup. Anyhow, if I do this, I figure the only option is to wire them directly to the Yamaha rxvr.

Anyhow.. any thoughts/feedback/brick bats appreciated.. If I do do it, I'll be sure to report back..

Peter

There Is A Version Of The Mission Fs1 Which Are 6.1 Should Be On The Website
As For 7.1 I Cant Really See The Point As The Speakers Are Positioned Behind Us We Cant Distinguish Where They Are!!! If That Makes Sense So Id Stick With 6.1
Also There Isnt Any 7.1 Films Out There All They Do Is Split The 6th Channel Between The 2 Centre Speakers

J

jpo

jelly said:
There Is A Version Of The Mission Fs1 Which Are 6.1 Should Be On The Website
As For 7.1 I Cant Really See The Point As The Speakers Are Positioned Behind Us We Cant Distinguish Where They Are!!! If That Makes Sense So Id Stick With 6.1
Also There Isnt Any 7.1 Films Out There All They Do Is Split The 6th Channel Between The 2 Centre Speakers
It's the 6.1 set I'm interested in... Adding additional speakers I agree may be of little real benefit, but if I don't try, I'll never know.. Besides, there is a large bay window directly behind the 'ideal' seating position, where the rear centre speaker would 'naturally' be placed. Splitting the rear centre into two speakers allows me to position one speaker either side of the bay window. I'll leave to others to decide whether that's a 'good reason' or simply an 'excuse' to justify my indulgence! :)

Peter

fordster

jelly said:
utter toss ive got a mission fs1 speaker set up as my surround centre for a year with no problem the only thing to remember is to set the speaker to small!!!!

That's your opinion which you're entitled to and obviously you've not experienced an issue. However if you read the design principles of NXT (and in particular Mission's implementation) you will see that they are not designed to handle bass in the same way as a conventional speaker which is why they are always sold as sub/sat combintations. You can probably get away with it for home cinema as long as you have the sub connected and set up on the amp as nearly all the bass will go straight to the sub. However if you were to use 7 channel stereo with bass heavy music then you would almost certainly notice a problem.

J

jpo

fordster said:
... if you read the design principles of NXT (and in particular Mission's implementation) you will see that they are not designed to handle bass in the same way as a conventional speaker which is why they are always sold as sub/sat combintations.....
I've had opportunity to discuss directly with a helpful person at Mission and they suggest that running a pair of rear NXT's as effect speakers, wired directly to your amp/rxvr is the way to go. (Assuming you want's 7.1 in the first place otherwise, leave the single rear centre wired via the sub.) I also note from reading the manual for my Yamaha rxvr that it has an option to divert the low frequency outputs for individual speakers back to the sub.

I'm aware of the supposed limitations of NXT speakers when it comes to straight music, but frankly I so rarely get to listen to music these days that it isn't likely to be a big issue. If it is, then in the short term I have several pairs of stereo speakers that I can press into service as the 'B Speakers' on my Yamaha Rxvr.

Peter

fordster

Interesting, thanks for that jpo. I;ve got the older FS2/AVs in 5.1 and always figured I was stuck with that (not that I need 6.1 or 7.1). I guess at the end of the day if the amp will handle the low frequency sufficient you should be okay. I'd always thought that the crossover point on NXT speakers was higher than most amps would go which was why I was wary of this being done.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom