Mission FS-1 News

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kirk, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just thought I would share the following information with you guys on Mission's new FS-1 AV package. I recieved this E-Mither this morning:

We hope to have our FS1 out on sale in August. The RRP is £450 of which you can purchase seperately speaker stands at £70/pair.

This system is not as versatile as the FS2 - it is only a 5.1 system and cannot be increased to 6.1 or 7.1 like the FS2 can. The only bonus on the FS1 is that the speaker panels themselves are smaller and the Active Sub is larger so has better base sound.

Sonically again the sound is 'great' from the FS1 - but to compare we would always recommend you have a demonstration on both (Once out!), as everyones perception of good sound is different.

We are currently still waiting for the brochures to arrive in - please supply your postal address and we will be happy to send one on to you

Hope that helps u guys interested, I am content now that I will just stick with the FS2AV package to sit with my Denon AVR-3802 amp.

Kirk

2. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    still hard to tell what market they are aiming for.

so the panels are half the width, but the sub more powerful.

an odd mix.

the crossover of the panels is just slightly lower so they may sound slightly better, more integrated.

I guess they will end up sounding virtually the same, though the size of the FS2 panels should be better for a bigger room/ sound.

IMHO.

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've spoken to a dealer in Bristol who also said that they would retail at £450, but the link for hifibitz that you posted shows a price of £400.

Not sure if its worth ordering them on line and saving £50 - although the dealer I spoke to said they included stands which are quoted at £70 online and don't appear to be included.

I wish mission would just post all the details including price on their site and put an end to all the speculation.

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hifibitz usually have good prices, so the dealer suggesting £450 is probably accurate.

they are both talking about the same pack though - no difference in stands.

there are small bookshelf stands included with the standard pack and wall fixings exactly the same as you get with the current FS2.

the stands for £70 extra are the full height tall stands, again similar to what you can get for the FS2. think they are the ones in the picture on hifibitz - just meant for the front two presumeably.

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've spoken to a dealer in Bristol who also said that they would retail at £450, but the link for hifibitz that you posted shows a price of £400.

Not sure if its worth ordering them on line and saving £50 - although the dealer I spoke to said they included stands which are quoted at £70 online and don't appear to be included.

I wish mission would just post all the details including price on their site and put an end to all the speculation.

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    strange... getting a feeling of deja vu.

double post mr dfield

8. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think that my over-enthusiastic use of the Back button caused my message to be sent twice.

apologies

9. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well...my original post contained information direct from Mission via E-Mither. The price of £450 is the RRP so I would guess that just about every online retailer will be able to offer close or better prices than that.

I dunno about anyone else.....but a 10% + saving makes me want to buy over the internet! :D

10. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Sales at Mission -

'we hope to be in production by the end of July. Should mean dealers will get supplies by mid-August'

From the 'hope to' I would guess that we won't be seeing these until 1st week in Sept. Surprised that a product that is on the back cover of one of the mags is not in production yet, ready to ship out to dealer.

11. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Question is, are they better then FS2av's??

12. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to know......

already splashed the cash

.....looking a huge unopened box in corner.....

13. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    reading the specs, I'd guess about the same.

the FS1 speakers are only half the width of the FS2s though, so the FS2s should disperse the sound better over the same area/ distance... and consequently I'd expect better sound/ bigger "sweet spot" in the room.

hypothetically.

anyway, 2 Point ... dont worry. your purchase is safe.

14. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both FS2 and FS1 use NXT technology, so no 'sweet spot' in either case.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FS1 sounds better than the FS2. The speakers depend on the quality of the panel material as well as the enginnering, and Mission have had 2 more years experience to optimise both.

Anyone with a functional FS1? I'd live to read a review!

15. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    actually ZZR, I have to disagree with you there.

at some point, no matter what the speaker technology (at least in CD/ audio), there will always be an area/ location that has the best stereo imaging.

if the panels are bigger, this has to be an advantage in this respect - a bigger sweet spot.

For example, even the FS2s dont give a perfect stereo image if you are sat predominately over to one side... a good listenable attempt maybe, but nowhere near as good as the best location.

this is definitely the case with my setup... the stereo "sweet spot" is pretty big though.. about a 6ft-8ft area I'd guess in my big living room, and much bigger than my previous speakers were able to do.

this is probably only true of 2 channel audio though.

it doesnt apply to all 5 speakers running... the soundfield will be diffused all around you and spread over a much greater area.

any disagreements?

anyway, speaking from experience, I'd say there definitely is a sweet spot even with NXT technology, depending on the number of channels.

NXT tech is good but even it cant do the "impossible".

16. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there probably is a minor 'sweet spot' effect, but I don't think it will be enhanced by the smaller size of the panels.

New, more powerful transducers and probably new materials means it's likely that Mission have produced a speaker that sounds the same or better than the FS2 while being able to reduce the size even further. I just wish Mission could get on with it and release the system for reviews.

17. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The initial look and feel of the FS1 I had gave the impression it was aimed at a completely different market to the FS2 - the main thing I noticed was the pre-terminated speaker cable! The biggest critiscism of the FS2 was the relatively weak sub, so hence a beefed up version on the FS1. One possibility is both FS1 and FS2 carrying on and the FS2 being sold in the 'doubled up' format, essentially 2 sets of speakers, enabling 2 subs and a 7.1 configuration of panels to give a higher end solution. They seem to be a bit of a 'plug and play' solution and there will be no extra panels, stereo sets, extra subs ect ect, its 5.1 or nothing!

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: :eek: that's scary.
    at least proves that they are going for a slightly different market.

otherwise the naming scheme is odd isn't it?

you can imagine the conversation

"I've got the FS-1..."

"cool... any good? I've got the FS-2 set. its much better"

if they were called the FS-3.. no problem. we would all get the message that its an upgraded model.

FS-1... hmmm. mixed message. little brother?

19. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My 2 pence worth would say that I do think that the FS-1 is a lower model (even with a better sub "allegedly") that the current FS-2. Mission said as much, which is why it is not as flexible a solution.

But, I would also expect in the next 6-12 months to see a replacement for the current FS-2 to make it better as well, wether it's called FS-2 or 3 or whatever would be interesting.....

Just my opinion anyway.....:blush:

20. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    noticed that FS-1 set is reviewed in the new HE magazine for this month.. rated 5 stars... and generally a very good review.

then again, they gave the gallos bad marks so maybe this review isn't the best (yet). see what the others say.

it claims the overall sound (bass/ treble) is better than previous NXT generations .. maybe the enhanced crossover that was mentioned.

interesting though.