1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission floorstanders - M33i or M35i?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slimline, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm planning my home cinema setup and looking for floorstanders for the front speakers. Would really appreciate some advice. Currently I'm debating the M33i vs the M35i from Mission.

Going with the M33is would be £200 cheaper once I've got the centre and rears to go with them. My questions - has anybody had a chance to compare them with the M35is, and have a view as to whether the latter are worth the extra cash?

I should say that I'm no audiophile, and probably will not appreciate marginal improvements in sound quality. Also, if I got the M35s I would not bother with a sub - could I take the same attitude with the M33s?

Finally, my AV amp is a Sherwood I got for about £250 from Richer Sounds 4 or 5 years ago - don't know the model number, it's currently packed up for transit to my new pad - is that going to be adequate?

Thanks for your help, guys!

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    depending on the model the sherwood may struggle to drive the m35i's, i believe they have the mid/bass and dedicated bass driver? probably means the impedance is quite low and i would imagine the amp would struggle getting the meaty bass to them they deserve. Im basing this on a sherwood i bought from richer sounds about 3 or 4 years ago for £200, rd-6106R, i would imagine yours is similar.

3. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, stupid of me not to have the model number. How do I tell whether it's adequate, when I get it out of the boxes? Can I look at a power rating or something?

EDIT: Hey, chedmaster, I see you're after the AE Evo 3s - similar price to the M35is - did you consider the Missions? Do you think the Evos are better? I really know jack about this stuff...

4. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I am now being told by a rep at Superfi that I should go for the V62 (volare) floorstanders rather than the M35i, because the volare is a step up in quality even if it only has one cone rather than two. They have them on special, so the price will be the same.

Would be very grateful to hear from anybody who knows about these things as to whether it would be better for me to have the two-cone M35i or the single-cone V62 speakers. I will be using them for audio and home cinema, but I'm no audiophile and I won't have a subwoofer, so it will be important to me that the speakers can generate sufficient bass.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the relative merits of these two speakers!

5. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the m35i's and they are bloody good, great sound deep strong bass no need for a sub only thing is they are a bit on the large side!! I would recommend them over the V62’s

PS the m35's are 3 way (1 mid range and 2 bass 168mm drivers)

6. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift feedback, steelee :smashin:

Have you actually heard the v62s? The salesman was telling me that though they have less bass (as you say, one bass driver instead of two) they have much clearer sound reproduction in the midrange and upper range. :confused:

They are also a bit smaller :)

7. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes have heard the V62's but to me the m35's blew them to bits, the mid/top reproduction from the 35's is on par with the V62's and you would need to be very very critical to tell the difference plus the 35's can really go some when the frequency drops which the V62's simply can't match :rotfl:

8. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, that's made my mind up - thanks very much!

Anybody want to ruin my day by disagreeing?

BTW, steelee, do you have the M35i or the regular M35 speakers? Do you know if there's much of a difference between them?

9. steelee

steelee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the the M35i's, the I stands for "improved"!!
    Better crossover etc

10. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!

11. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would go for the V62s if they're a good price. The extra load of the additional drivers in the 35's might give your amp some problems.

12. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tom. V62s are going for the same as the M35is, but I would be happy to upgrade my amp if the M35s will perform as well as the V62s and also deliver the extra bass.

How do I tell whether the amp is up to the job?

13. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm, difficult to know whether it'll be up to the job until you actually get the speakers. I'd be tempted by the V62s anyway as they're from a better range, although this doesn't necessarily make them better to your ears, the m35i's probably will have a better bass response, but I can't see them having the refinement of the v62. I listened to the m35's and I didn't like them all that much. While they didn't sound bad, they just didn't sound good either to my ears, I went for the 783 instead which were £430. Can you get to superfi and have a listen?

14. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I can get down to Superfi tomorrow and I spose I should do that.

Thing is, I'm no audiophile and I very much doubt I will be able to tell which is better on the strength of a short session in a showroom. So I was hoping to rely on the expertise of others and just forget about it. I've had enough trouble deciding which plasma to buy, and I'm close to tears with it all now. :D

Also, I really don't want to add a sub to the system, it's costing me enough already, so I guess I was better disposed to the greater bass capacity of the M35s, but anyway. Plus the Volare range doesn't have bipolar rears, only bookshelf directional speakers, so I wonder whether that would compromise the quality of the surround/DTS soundscape?

:rolleyes:

15. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're assuming Mission have just wired them in parallel without thought of loading issues.

The number of drivers tells you nothing. If they're wired in series, the amp's task will be easier than for a single identical driver. Indeed, if I wired 25 600W 18" PA bass bin drivers in series, the 200-ohm load would ideally match my cheapo "walkman"'s headphone output. It wouldn't go *loud*, but it wouldn't give the headphone amp any problems.

Unless you know the impedance response curve of both speakers, you simply cannot make assessments like this.

Given the positioning of the Mission speakers (budget floorstanders), I'd imagine any reasonably competent amp would drive them perfectly. These aren't Apogee Scintillas we're talking about...

17. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I would personally go for the V62 speakers - if you want bipolar rears then the M5ds will be an almost identical match (and again are a step up from the M3 range). 'Best practice' for AV watching is bi/di-pole sides and mono-pole rears however there are many which are happy with all bipole and many with all monopole. If you are looking at multichannel music then all monopoles are highly recommended.

The M35i speakers need a massive amount of room to sound at their best (and if you can afford a room of that size you can afford better speakers imo).

I take it from your comments on sides that you want this for an AV system rather than pure stereo. If this is the case I would strongly recommend getting a sub irrespective of what front speakers you get. A sub in an AV system can firstly provide a lot more 'slam' than any floor standers I have heard and trying to get the fronts to do the base for the front/ centre/ side/ rear and the .1 channel from my experience has resulted in a bit of a muddled sound.

18. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Troon, thanks Astaroth.

I went into Superfi and listened to the v62s, the AE Evo 3s (they didn't have any M35s in the shop) and the Volare v63s (the three-driver floorstanders in the Volare range). Well, the v63s sounded best by a mile, so I've decided to go with those. £100 extra, but there you go.

Astaroth, I see that the M5DS bipole rears are cheaper than the M3DSi model - are they also better speakers? Seems odd, but if they are, I'm happy to save £30. Otherwise I'd go for the M3DSi.

Room is 14" x 12" approx, but I don't expect to be in this flat for more than 6 months, and I'll probably not buy new speakers for a few years now.

I won't be listening to multi-channel music, only stereo, and as you say the system is mainly for surround AV. But when you say "sides", are you talking 7.1 sound? I will have only front, centre and rear pair speakers. I take it from your comments that I'm right in preferring bipolar rears for AV?

Finally, the amp - it's a Sherwood RVD-6095RDS. The plate on the back says 500W. Any ideas whether that will suffice for the new set of speakers (Volare V63 floorstanders (24-150W RMS), V6C centre (25-100W RMS) and M5DS rears (25-100W RMS)). I guess the cumulative wattage on those speakers adds up to 600W - is that relevant? Sorry for being so ignorant...

Thanks again for all the help - will be placing my order today, I hope, so if there's anything else I should know I'd be massively grateful for your advice.

Slimline

19. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The RRP (or what ever it is called these days) for the M5ds is higher than M3dsi but as the M5 range is older than the M3i there are better deals to be had.

The M3/3i range was more or less designed as the replacements for the M7/7i range and according to an email I got from Mission the V range was as a replacement for the M5 - however M5 are still shown on their website as an active product range but are in many of the high discount stores which tend to stock discontinued products.

Yes - sorry, am in the middle of doing some analysis at work and couldnt think of the correct name so "side" was for a 7.1/6.1 setup. AV is very much about personal preference - I would go for bipolar speakers in a 5.1 setup as it will give a more enveloping sound 90% of the time but 10% of the time you will slightly lose the placement of rear sound.

I do not know your amp and so will bow out of that question and let someone more knowlegable to answer.

20. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Astaroth. Really appreciate your help.

After finding some references to my amp on French websites, I think it delivers around 65W per channel, which is definitely on the low end of what's recommended for the speakers, but should be adequate for now. Perhaps I'll invest in a new amp when I've recovered from the spending of this week!

Thanks very much to everybody who offered their advice on this thread. I've bought the Volare V63 floorstanders with the Volare centre and the M5DS rears.

Slimline

21. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Both speakers are 8 ohms, but the M35i's are more sensitive. I reckon neither will be any trouble for the amp.