Mission Elegante E8as2 or E8as1?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Scatter, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    With the current price reductions over the Elegante range these two subs are now very competitevely priced.

Having recently purchased the E82s I wondering, which of the two is money well spend?

I can get a brand new E8as1 for £300 or ex-demo E8as2 for approx £700

So here goes a question - has onyone auditioned any of these?

Is the increase in sound quality worth the increase in price and size an potential falling out with the half of the family who is always right? :rolleyes:

What room size is the E8as1 good for?

Any opinion / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Scatter

2. hmkid

hmkid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the e82 5.1 system with E8as1 running from an avr350 - the as1 has plenty power for a typical size living room and I am very happy with the sound quality/dynamics/power on offer. However, if I had the choice now I would probably go with the as2, not because I have heard it and know it sounds superior to the as1, or because the extra power is needed for my setup, but because it offers more flexible controls. Particularly, the ability to turn off the auto-standby (an as1 feature of which I am not a fan). So whilst I am happy with the as1, the as2 might allow you to fine-tune the sub more closely to your setup. That said, £400 is a big difference!

Sorry this is a bit speculative!

Are you able to get a side-by-side demo? Would be interested to hear what you find...

3. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would love to get a side-by-side demo arranged. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunately out of question, as the nearest stock is 100+ miles away from me.

Thank you for your comments re controls, though, as I could imagine lack of some features may be quite annoying!

Any E8as2 happy owners out there?

4. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Anyone? :hiya:

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    For what it's worth, I've just purchased two sets of E81's and an E8c and put them into storage for when I eventually buy a surround processor/amplifier (I couldn't ignore their low cost and quality).

Prior to purchase I auditioned them with a Meridian G95 and B&W PV-1 (which, in black, is a perfect aesthetic match with the Mission's). The integration of sound with the PV-1 was perfect, for me at least. I've seen several ex-dem silver versions of the PV-1 on the web for around £800 - but a 'cash' discount on a new black model should see this pan out at around £850.

The dealer from where I auditioned the E81's also had stock of both the matching Elegante subs you refer to - but told me to steer well clear of them in comparison to the PV-1.

6. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for your hint - who are the dealers? Could you post or PM me, please.

Scatter

7. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    No problem - Music Matters in Birmingham is the place to look (but from your previous posts, this may be too far for you to consider).

The Mission subs are listed on their ex-dem page, here -

http://www.musicmatters.co.uk/Default.asp?Page=16

Even so, I must add that the E8AS2 is quite large. The PV-1 is much more discrete, and goes lower than the Mission.