Mission e8as1 subwoofer - standby problem?

hmkid

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a Mission elegante e82 5.1 system with Arcam AVR350 about 10 days ago. Still tweaking settings but overall absolutely delighted with the setup for both music and movies. It uses the Mission e8as1 subwoofer and I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on the following:
(i) when power turned on to s/w, can take quite a while (couple of mins) to change from red (standby?) to green (output becomes audible). Is this length of time normal?
(ii) have noticed when watching tv at lower volumes (say < 50db on avr350) the s/w appears to switch to standby (led red/no output). If switch channels to say sky movies on a 5.1 transmission and increase volume light will turn green again.

Cannot see how it can be to do with the amp, but s/w manual does not indicate any auto-standby feature.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

...am now wondering if there is a possibility it is overheating. The back does get quite hot, though it has not dropped out while watching sky+/dvd 5.1 material. Anyone with this subwoofer comment on heat output / overheating possibility?

thanks.

this posting is becoming a wee bit one sided...:)

...anyway, a further observation in case it makes sense to any other e8as1 owners: watching sky movies in dd5.1, and left on live pause for at least quarter of an hour. Came back and s/w led had changed back to red. Restarted playback and within a couple of seconds, led changed to green and output audible again.

Sounds as though I need to get in touch with local sevenoaks or, failing that, mission to find out exactly what the led is supposed to be indicating (manual makes no mention of it at all). Not convinced this is normal......

Any suggestions?

sounds like after a certain length of time without a signal the sub is switching off no?

on of my subs did this, dureing movies it was so annoying, you would get the long passage of speach etc, then an explosion, there would be a 1/2 second deley from thr start of the explosion and the sub kicking.

I soon realised best thing to do was turn the auto shut down thing off, was just a switch on the sub.

edd

EddThompson said:
sounds like after a certain length of time without a signal the sub is switching off no?
Not just with no signal, but also seems to occur at low volumes e.g. will occasionally turn to red/no output when listening at low volumes. However, I have not noticed any dropout, even with prolonged listening, at higher volumes. Dodgy connection/lead (though no crackling/popping etc)??
EddThompson said:
on of my subs did this, dureing movies it was so annoying, you would get the long passage of speach etc, then an explosion, there would be a 1/2 second deley from thr start of the explosion and the sub kicking.

I soon realised best thing to do was turn the auto shut down thing off, was just a switch on the sub.

edd
Glad you managed to sort your issue out and thanks for the suggestion - but no switches other than phase and on/off to be found. If no mention of such a feature in the (limited) manual, I suspect this is looking more and more like a fault.:thumbsdow

hmkid said:
Not just with no signal, but also seems to occur at low volumes e.g. will occasionally turn to red/no output when listening at low volumes. However, I have not noticed any dropout, even with prolonged listening, at higher volumes. Dodgy connection/lead (though no crackling/popping etc)??

Glad you managed to sort your issue out and thanks for the suggestion - but no switches other than phase and on/off to be found. If no mention of such a feature in the (limited) manual, I suspect this is looking more and more like a fault.:thumbsdow

I doubt it, My Yammy sub, although it has the option to turn it off, does the same thing. When I connected it to the sub output of my technics stacker system it never managed to turn on at all... output must have been really low :rotfl:

try turning up your sub in you reciver, up to +10db or something, and turn the volume on the actual sub down to suit, that may provide a high enuff signal to keep it on?

edd

EddThompson said:
try turning up your sub in you reciver, up to +10db or something, and turn the volume on the actual sub down to suit, that may provide a high enuff signal to keep it on?

edd

Will give it a try - thanks again.

...have upped the sub level in the avr350 to +10db (max adjustment) + reduced volume level. Need a bit more time to tell if this has improved the situation. Also have spoken with Mission (very helpful) who confirmed this model does have an auto-standby feature (not mentioned in in manual) and suggested raising the x-over frequency in the amp (currently at 80Hz) to increase the signal sent to the s/w.

Will test the options over the weekend and see how it goes. I am still a bit concerned at changing levels/x-over for any reason other than sound (i.e. because auto-on on e8as1 not sensitive enough for my tastes with all material).

I really want the s/w on all the time but no external switch to achieve this. However Mission also indicated that it may be possible to disable the function internally, though presumably this would involve a modification and hence most likely more cost...... At least, there may be some other options if the above doesn't give a satisfactory outcome as, apart form this issue, this amp/speaker combo is awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom