1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Cinema M72

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jpb2001, Mar 24, 2003.

1. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I am interested in the Mission Cinema M72 speaker package - does anyone who owns these have any opinions on them? I know that they got a What HiFi award but personal experience is always far more revealing!!

I have seen them advertised on SuperFi website for around £350, but just noticed them on HyperFi.co.uk for £199. Does anyone know if these will be ok or will they be graded stock?? Why are they so cheap compared to superFi?

Thanks for any help.
    JB

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superfi are selling the 'i' versions while hyperFi are probably only selling the non i version. The 'i' basically stands for improved, better cabinet bracing (whatever that means?) and improved crossover. I'd imagine the improved cross-over would make an improvement in the sound, it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money, although bare in mind that 5 star rating you saw in WhatHIFI was probably for the 'i' version.

I currently own the M71i speakers and can say these speakers are fantastic for their price, very musical, great imaging and soundstaging with oh so sweet trebble. I think the M72i's are just the same but bigger with slightly improved bass output.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I used to own this set, with the original M72 speakers.

I thought it was good with music and very good with film soundtracks. Even when I upgraded my front three speakers to B&W, I kept the Mission rears.

I doubt whether there is a significant difference between the M72 and M72i. In my view, manufacturers need a new product annually to encourage previously satisfied customers to upgrade to the latest one, whether or not there is a real difference in sound or just on paper.

4. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and information so far. I am now tempted to go for the Cinema M71i pack from SuperFi @ £299. Just a quick question regarding speaker setup - how are the rear speakers mounted?? I was planning on having Mission stands for the fronts, but what happens to the rears?? Are they left at floor level or do they need to be mounted to the wall? Excuse my ignorance but I am relatively new to the home cinema world!

Cheers,
    JB

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    under my name and you will find my opinion on the M72 set somewhere. i think its in the Wharfedael vs Mission thread.

regards,

Captain Benefit.

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should be elevated well above head level (head level assuming seated position) and pointing in towards the listening area. The fronts should be at head level. Rears can be mounted on the wall and stands are recommended for the fronts.

7. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of the M72s too. But, do they need a sub adding? Has anyone added a sub to them?

By the way, I asked about the M72s and the Mission Cinema 6 pack at RS in Liverpool and they told me that they were rubbish. "Mission used to make good speakers but not any more" said the assistant and then promptly lead me to a set of Eltax Symphony 5s! No wonder he said next "we haven't sold any Missions in months nobody wants them" as he showed me a dirty old set of M72 speakers covered in dust!

Just what are those Eltax speakers like any way? Any one got a set? I found a few places on the net that actually commend them.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Evey time someone attempts to buy something from them, other than their own brands or brands that they 'prefer' to sell due to better comission, they bad mouth a superior product.

Want a Toshiba DVD, theyll offer you a Limit.

Want Mission speakers, they will offer Eltax

Want a NAD cd palyer, they will tell you to go for Cambridge Audio

Want Yamaha amp, they will say buy Sherwood.

To be honest Mission do not make crap.

On your other points, the stand mounted M72's can deliver a load of bass, dropping as low as 56hz, however, most people advise to add a sub as this brings the .1 slam in 5.1 sound and will reach the depths the missions cannot.
    Also, tell your amp to set the missions too small. The fronts will not work as hard, as the LFE is sent to the sub freeing up mid and treble clarity.

I in my opinion, Richer sounds are becoming the laughing stock of the AV industry. I mean, why advertise stuff if you do not stock it half the time?.

I hope that this helps.

CB.

9. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with Captain Benefit

These are speakers that have received 4 or 5 star reviews from HIFI mags, I would put your faith in these people as the experts, not Richer Sounds staff. :thumbsdow

10. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Too right! I couldn't believe it when the guy told me Missions were rubbish! I looked at the Hyperfi Website and see they've not only got the M72s at £199 but they have the Wharfedale Diamond Cinema pack at £199 too. I've always had Diamonds and know they sound good. The Diamond cinema pack was well reviewed too but how does it compare with the M72? Now I'm torn M72 or Diamond?

11. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Eltax Liberty 5 or Eltax Symphony 6's are cheap sounding.

Mission M7x's are better.

All my dealings with Richers have been pritty awful.

12. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I have the M71 package but have upgraded the front speakers to M73 floorstanders which sound great. I have added a wharfedale sub and I am very happy with the sound they reproduce together.
    On the richer sounds argument, I went into richer sounds about a year ago when I first got into home cinema because they had a sony 5.1 amp/reciever advertised. Anyway these were of course not in stock and I was told that they were rubbish and the salesman talked me into spending my money on a panasonic sa he7. I now wished I had known about this forum before I entered richer sounds.
    Thinking about buying a 3803 now.

13. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JB

At £ 200 the M72 system is good value. I bought a set for my bedroom set up (how sad is that) running from a Yamaha RX-V800RDS reciver. Some reviews have said that the M72's can be a bit foreward, but Yamy amps tend to be on the soft side, so they seem to match.

I've go the main speakers on good solid stands, about a foot out from the wall. They give great sound with tight base. The surounds are best above head hight on the walls.

I don't need anymore speakers at presant but thought of buying another set because it's such a good price.

As to Richer Sounds. Do use them, but only after you've decided what you want. If they don't have it, walk away. Never be tempted by a second choice that you've never heard of.

Hope that helps.

Miles.

14. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With my Marantz SR4200, they're very nice - lovely sound with DVDs, but a bit disappointing with music. I managed to live with this set up for only 3 months before I got a sub (MJA Acoustic 50- Pro). Now music is fantastic, and with the sub doing the bass duties, the surround speakers really come to a fore. Sorry, but a sub is a must have IMHO.

Final point, the Fronts were a bit industrial for my wife - so I have now replaced them with Kef Eggs. Believe it or not this arrangement still works.

15. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    So is the M72 Pack an updated Version of The Cinema 6 Pack But without the Sub ?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Beccy Miles just bought a set of Misions for her Dad, I suggest you search by her name and the speakers forum to find the quite detailed thread on them.