1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Cinema M30 package - Any Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tempest, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Currently I have a VideoLogic Digitheatre DTS (Mainly for watching DVD's to)

But although it's OK.... I'm not exactly over the moon with it sometimes.

I'd like to replace it with something a bit better.

Note: The room size is approx 11ft x 11ft square.

I've come across this, which from the reviews sound quite good, and I have checked the dimensions and I can fit them all in without any problems:

Mission Cinema M30 package:
    http://www.mission.co.uk/product/m3..._m30_cinema.htm

===================== Reviews ========================
    Essential Hi-Fi and Home Cinema (UK) issue 37, September 2004.
    5 star Group Test Winner - Speaker Systems.

"A smashing speaker system for those who want a little more presence. There is plenty of volume on offer if you like that sort of thing, and a confident, rich performance for everyone. In summary, though bigger than a conventional sub/sat system, Mission can be proud of the performance of this package - a seriously impressive speaker system."

What HI*FI (UK) April 2004 issue.
    5 star Super Test Winner - Surround Speaker Packages.

"The m30 cinema pack is based on some of the smallest Mission speakers to date and yet it delivers the goods with both action-packed and dialogue-heavy soundtracks, while also shining with music. The sound of the Missions gels to create amazing surround effects. There's plenty of low-end punch, real detail and insight, and a smooth transition from speaker to speaker that aids the wraparound effect enormously. All in all, Mission has produced a fine little all-round package at a killer price."
    =======================================================

This set is about £400 to buy which is around what I would look to pay.

I'm going to ask a REALLY stupid question now.....

Do I assume (If I got the above) I would need an AMP to power them?

Sorry is it's a bit dim, but the Videologic Powers itself, and the specs of the mission system says the BASS has an amp inside, so I'm not sure.

The review here sounds very good: (right click and save as)
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/outputpdf.php?file=EHC/037/083_EHC_037.pdf

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yep you assume right - you need to get an amp with them speakers!

Sub is powered cos' it's an active one which will be then connected to the sub-out on your new amp.

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Ah right...
    I've only ever had my Videologic Digitheatre DTS which powers itself fully from the built in amp.

Or I have had (in years gone by) normal full size hi-fi seperates.

I guess I didn't understand why the SUB had an amp in it.
    I thought the poweramp would power the amp like it did any other speaker.

I assume it's something to do with the poweramp needing more power than an amplifier would normally kick out.... ? (is this correct)

Given that this is a quite budget system (even though has glowing reviews in its catagory) I guess I'm looking at £200 max for the amp.

Is it possible to get a good amp for around this price ?

I have seen some for just over the £100 mark, but not sure at what price point they become quite good.

I don't want anthing TOO fancy, with optical inputs/outputs, 28 channel sound (etc etc) !!!!

Just want an amp which MUST have coaxial digital in, and power a resonable surround sound system

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Mission speaker set seems good value for the price as well as being well thought of by reviewers.

The amplifiers within the subs help to relieve the strain on the main amp as the demands placed on a decent subwoofer in terms of power and power supply are much greater than normal speakers.

It would be best if you had a read of the threads in the amplifier forum to see what others suggest as this question must come up frequently. You will find that most amps in that price range will have all of the facilities that you don't really need as they all seem to be made that way.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Cheers.
    Do I have worry too much about overspeccing the amp?

The surrounds on those speakers say something like 75watts max, and the sub 100 watts max.

Say I get an amp which is 100 or 120 watts (for example) will I be livings dangerously ?

I'd rather have an amp that's not straining itself.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You should be quite safe as long as you don't turn the wick up full. Most speaker manufacturers build in good tolerances and by the time you had the amp pushing out it's maximum power everything would be sounding very strained anyway.

7. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been looking at the M30 speaker pack myself,the cheapest i've seen it is £346.69.
    Like the look of the centre speaker and prefer slightly larger speakers.

8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Yes, well for me, it's dimensions are just about right.
    This is always a worry, esp when buying blind as it's not till you get it home you really know what you have.
    They still say you can't beat physical size (in certain ways) for good sounding speakers (though I bet there are exeptions of course)

I'm limited by various factors and the M30 is just about as much as I can take size wise.

May I ask where you saw that price ?

I've got double trouble as I'd need an amp as well, so matching an amp to the speakers is another issue.

What do you have now then ?

9. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the M30 package on offer with either "Unbeatable" or "Empire Direct" think it may have been Empire who are also very reasonable p&p wise.
    I've picked up a second hand Yamaha DSPAX630 so am now in the process of trying to decide on my speakers. :rolleyes:

10. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Ahhh, yeah it's a minefield.
    Thing is, unless you have some point of reference, just how do you know what is good and what's bad.
    It's ok if you can call an expert to come round and do it all for you.

As I said, I'm (and I guess many people) have limitations on size, esp when you are dealing with 6 speakers. And personally black as I watch my movies in the dark and don't want to see silver speakers!

I've even been tempted to just buy something from the sony center all in one lump, speakers amp etc.
    But I guess audiophiles would poo poo doing that.

For 5.1 sound I think the center speaker is VERY important as that's where all the main dialogue comes from.
    If you have lots of noise and effects/music coming from the left/right fronts, if your center is not up to the job and dialogue is going to be drowned out.

That's 1 concern I have.