1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Cinema 8 Package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ZeroEX, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would share with you my thoughts on my latest upgrade.

Personally I have always been a big fan of Mission speakers, I don't really know why, the sound they produce just pleases me and makes me want to listen.
    On the other hand Kef's are somewhat tiring on long listening session, or at least that was my experience with a pair of Q4's.

When I saw the 782 front's I almost laughed, they look a little too slim to be taken seriously. Unfortunately this diminutive nature means small bass despite a sidefiring bass unit. I'd say that these are flat to 60hz and after that your depth is compromised, more on this later.
    Setting the 782's up was more hands on than any other speaker I've owned in the past. At first I had them around a foot from the wall and the sound was awfully muddy. These speakers like lots of room to really create a sense of space and soundstage, infact I ended up settling on around 80cm from the rear of the cabinet to the wall!
    However when in this position the sound is wonderful, vocals are beatifully laid and the top end is allowed to breath without being swallowed by anyother part of the musical spectrum. Imaging is smooth and involving but isn't razor sharp however these are more laid back in nature than most speakers and hence sound smoother and are very easy to listen to for extended periods or at volume.

Hang on.... its 1.10am... Jesus I'd better get to bed, I've got work tommorow. I'll finish this up then.

2. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Mission 782's at the front, 78C centre, and 78DS at the back...awesome quality. Really pleased with them. :)

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    783 front and 78c centre here. I certainly have no bass issues with these chaps. They seem very eager to party when I crank the volume right up too, which is great :D

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Got the Cinema 7 which is very similar to the Cinema 8, fantastic package and certainly better to anything else I auditioned at the time. The only thing that was close was the 600 B&W speaker package but was 'tiring' in comparison to the Missions and not as natural, maybe in part to those metal tweeters. Also you got to love that triple tweeter array on the centre too :devil:

5. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did have the intention to finish this review but now I'd just rather sit down and listen to it. That statement in itself is recommendation enough I feel without confusing things with subjectives.

The real icing on the cake is the fact that I got the whole package which included the 782 fronts, 78c center and 78ds surround for a £600. Seems to me that I'd have great difficulty finding better for cheaper.

For those interested go to www.hyperfi.com be warned though they don't have any stocks left at the advertised prices but are still heavily discounting the RRP of each item. For me it worked out at £250 for the 782 and £340 for the 78c and 78ds then a tenner delivery.

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Are hyperfi any good, I’ve always been tempted to get stuff of them esp. the ex demo stock but have always been a bit wary as it seems to good to be true. Even though they have been advertising in what hifi for along as I can remember.

The speakers you got where they the ex-demo ones or new stock? what’s there service like?

Sorry for the Spanish inquisition, I suppose no one expects it :p

7. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time I've ordered from Hyperfi so my experience is very limited with this company.

First of all when I rang them I was told that the ex-demo kit would have to be collected from the store because their boxes were missing - too far away to consider this. Then I was told that a pair of new 782's would be £300, I managed to knock them down to £250 and the same goes for the 78c and 78ds, they were both £250 but got them down to £170 after a bit of haggling.
    I'll always barter for virtually anything thats worth a bit, afterall they can only say yes or no. Turns out this time I got a good deal for my cheek :)

Finally delivery, I ordered around 2.00pm on Tuesday and recieved the speakers the next day. Very well packaged with a all the boxes within boxes to double the packaging protection - only downside to this is that I had masses of cardboard all over the place after unpacking.
    Speakers themselves were all as described ie. new, unopened and unmarked.

Personally I'd recommend them to anyone else based on my experience.

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a pair of 783s, picked em up last christmas for £500. Ive been really pleased with them. The LF control isnt an issue for me as I have TMREQ :D I use the older but still good 752Fs for centre and surrounds and a pair of 750LEs for surround backs, I really love the Mission sound :smashin: I was tempted recently a at local dealer seeing another pair of 783s for £500! It would be great to use one as a centre too so that the front three match :thumbsup: Has anyone had any experience of the E series as they look really awsome :)