1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mission cinema 72's or Kef "eggs"?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iainsim, Nov 12, 2001.

1. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: OK, getting close to a decision, but am stuck. Not a lot of space so need something compact. Like the Kef's, sound fantastic for DVD's but music reproduction is a bit bright and the subs good but not fantastic. Or do I go for the Missions which sounded great with a rather expensive looking REL sub attached, and if so, whats a good sub to use with them???? Budget extended to £700 - £800 (but don't tell the missus)

If anyone can tell me where I can get the Kef's for £600 - £650 then its a done deal, otherwise its a fair fight!

2. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through the same decision process... I wanted full size speakers but didn't really have the space and the missus definitely wasn't happy with a room full of speakers. Went for the eggs in the end and am very happy with my purchase.

I'm surprised you found the Kefs bright with music, as they have been criticised for lacking a little in the high treble. Yes, the Kef sub will never match up to a Rel one, but then it's only a £300 sub. However I find it works well with the eggs at the kind of volumes I'm listening at (i.e. not earsplitting!)

Oh and try http://www.mdd-av.com/ for a price on the eggs. They might help you make up your mind :).

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have just been through this with friends. These were the two options. They went Kef Eggs which I felt was the right decision. These speakers just work well, treble isn't bright IMHO. Criticism of sub is relevant for any £300 sub, the beauty of the Kef package is that the performance is greater than the sum of the invidual components. Look to pay £800 (less 15%). £680.

The Kef is a quality piece of Kit.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I finally had a chance to listen to the kef package with "The Haunting" (I think) and I have to say I was impressed. Volume level was quite low, but the effect was very atmospheric in the creepy house. Integration between the front speakers was very good (as you would expect with them being identical). Next time I pop into the shop I might take The Matrix with me to give the sub a good work-out :devil: .

I also recently listened to a full 7.1 Ruark sub-sat system playing The Matrix and I was very underwhelmed (even my wife thought it was very poor compared to our setup). It could have been the setup - the bass sounded quite bloated during music, so the sub might have been set too high.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the eggs the other day with an Onkyo 787, and I think the voices where a little "hollow"...

Maybe it is because the crossover frequency in the receiver is 80 hz and the eggs don´t go well under 120 hz, (the crossover frequency in their sub), as it is normal with their size...

I would sujest you get a receiver with variable frequency, for instance the Denon 3802, and set it to 120 hz.

Otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the sound, they sure output a powerful sound for the size, (including the sub), and they are very well built...

6. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried that link you gave me, quoted me £620 for the Kefs. Thanks for that, I'm delighted. Done deal, Kefs it is, I feel a 5th Element evening coming on.