1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Cinema 7 - Crossover?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by astonbilla, Jul 18, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi folks,

I've had the cinema 7 set-up and a Sony DB940 amp for years now. I don't have a Sub (i know, i know).

I have my 773e's set to large and everything else to small. The only problem is i have only started tinkering with setting now. First off, should the centre and rears be set to small or am i being silly?

Also, i have noted that the crossover for the centre and rears is 120? is this ok or should i change this.

Basically i'm trying to find out what are the optimal settings for my speakers bearing in mind i don't have a sub.

If anyone could help i would really appreciate it.

oh!, one more thing - should i add in an amp, or just replace my speaker with the FS 2 flat speaker setup?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't really understand the last bit - if you change your Cinema7 speakers for the FS2s, then I think you may be a little disappointed.
    Not sure what you mean by "add in an amp" either, but presumably you mean swap the 940 for a newer model.
    If that's the case, then you really need to be looking in the 500+ category IMO, to get any really noticable improvements in sound quality (even then it may be arguable depending on the model) - but you'd probably get some newer formats such as DPL2 and DDEX/DTSES etc.
    Probably the most effective upgrade for your money would be to add a active subwoofer - certainly for movie modes - probably debatable for stereo music unless the sub is a very good one though.

If you can change the xover on the 940 for a lower value (not sure if this is poss or not), then you could set it a bit lower. The centre is probably good for 80Hz, but I'm not sure the surrounds will be - perhaps 100Hz. Both the surrounds and the centre should really be set to small, with the main fronts as large, but there's no laws cast in stone about it. To be honest I wouldn't worry too much -you've got it pretty well setup right as it is IMO - but there's no harm in experimenting to see if you can improve things.

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sorry - i meant add in a Sub, i'm quite, quite thick.

The flat panel reference was just a query as to whether they are better than my current set up. Thanks for the info though.

What benefits do i get by lowering the crossover values? greater bass?

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not so much greater bass, as better soundstage.

Despite what you may read, bass IS directional.
    Sub bass isn't (say 20-50Hz or so), but above that it gets progressively more directional, and 120Hz is easily locatable in space with your eyes closed. Hence, the lower you go before bass redirection kicks in, the more realistic the soundstage (ie the less likely it is that you'll hear the subwoofer intruding into the soundstage)

The idea is really for setups with a subwoofer - although it's debatable in any case - on many setups you may not notice that much difference, if any.
    With your setup, any bass is redirected to the fronts anyway, so I honestly doubt you'll hear much difference either way, from just adjusting the xover. That said, it costs nothing to try it, and you never really know until you do.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the help guys - any recommendations for subs?

I know REL are great - naything else?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    There are some good prices available on Velodyne subs in the Power Buys Forum.