1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission cinema 7 (77s) upgrade to KEF KHT 2005.2?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by astonbilla, Jan 8, 2004.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    hi folks

any help on this would be great

i have the mission cinema 7 basic set up - 77c1, 773e etc. I also have a servo 15.

Does anyone know if i would be any better off with a set of eggs mixed with the servo rather than the missions? i know mid range would be sacrificed - but the mission floor standers aren't magnetically sheilded, they are husge and in the curretn market - just plain look ugly.

I could then move the old speakers in to another room and use the kef sub with them?

Has anyone compared the missions to the kefs??

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a 775e/77C1/771e Mission 77 series speaker setup and have heard the Kef Satellites. The sound of the Kefs is indeed very likeable, but it's just nowhere near in the same league as the speakers I have now.

You might also have difficulties when pairing the Kef Satellites with a Servo 15. I haven't tried this, but have heard both pieces of kit, and I'd imagine the sound would become rather 'thin' at times. Still pretty enjoyable though. What amp are you using?

You could indeed move the old speakers into another room and use the Kef Sub. But it'd make sense to just buy five of the satellites from the KHT2005.2 package, which you can buy from creative audio for £395. And pair these with your Servo 15.

I doubt the subwoofer from the KHT2005.2 package would add much to the bass quality of the 773e's anyway.

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    you may be right about the kef sub with the missions dimmy - i got by for a year without a sub and the fronts handled things quite well considering.

I'm using a Denon 3802 at the mo - maybe i'll get upgradeitis about that too. Hope not, i'm bloody skint!

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, that's a killer amp. It's capable of bigger & better things than your current speakers and/or the Kef Eggs, but it will match them very well indeed.

I asked about the amp because it takes something big 'On Screen' to get a servo moving, and for much of the viewing time you'll only be hearing the satellites, the Servo kicking in for the big stuff. With the kef's rather forward, occasionally 'Thin' balance this might lead to a somewhat Uninvolving sound. But a receiver as 'Rich' as your Denon in its audio quality should have no trouble making up for this.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thats really good news dimmy thanks mate.

What i might do is buy a set of cheapo tannoy fx 5.1 speakers for my spare room. Then wait for some new funds and but the eggs for the living room and sell the missions!!

they are too big for the spare room anyway.

Thanks again dimmy

Bill