1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission centre upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slimchandi, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just spent the first evening in a long while sitting down and watching a film, couldn't resist messing about with the set up for ten minutes or so.

At the moment I have an all Mission setup, 702e on the front and 700's for surround duties. I have a 73c centre, purchased second hand.

Much to my surprise, the dialogue sounded a lot better in phantom mode with the centre off than with it on. The centre lacks a lot of detail that I get from my 702e's. Seems bizarre really, I know it's not the highest end model Mission make but I imagined it to be a better match than this.

The hawkeyed amongst you may have noticed my lack of sub. Until funds allow I am sub-less, so I feed a full range signal to my floorstanders. Might this explain why the centre speaker lacks detail? Anyone have an opinion on the 73c?

Most reviews say the centre increases the detail on dialogue, the opposite happens in my case! Any suggestions?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not heard the 73c but the I used to own some 701s and they really were excellent. I've found that the centre speaker in a range often isn't up to the standards of the more traditional speakers. I don't think that a sub would add detail to a centre although if set up properly it should add a bit of weight.
    If your speakers are equidistant from your display then it's quite likely that you'll get a better signal when using a phantom centre from your 2 main speakers - this is what hifi is all about after all!

If you're interested in replacing your centre speaker I recommend the Mission 77C1 (not to be confused with the 77C) which is a stunning performer and easily one of the best centre speakers that I've ever heard. :)

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you heard the Mission 77c? Seems to crop up more often in classifieds, about half the price too.

In fact, I'd be in half the mind to flog the thing and live with the phantom signal, were it not for the fact that seating is shared between three, and the imaging isn't really there if you sit off centre.

4. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a pair of 773e's as my main fronts and used to have a 73c as the centre. I to used the Phantom mode because the 73c was dreadful, I ended up taking it away altogether as it was using valuable space. I've since bought a 78c (originally sold for £350 but bought from Hyperfi for £130) and it's a revelation, it's just soooo clear.

5. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's pretty much the feeling I get. I'm reluctant to get rid of it, paid £65 for it second hand and that was probably 20 quid too much. Add £30 and could have got a 77c1 or 78c. It really does lack any polish, dialogue is very dull, almost pin sharp in phantom mode.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I havn't heard the 77C myself but by all accounts it's very much the poor relation of the 77C1 which is an improved version with an additional powered driver rather than the passive radiator of the 77C. :)

7. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for the 78c or cse. They're 10 a penny right now. I can't believe I paid £200 for my 78c. Ah well, sounds great though. Look into any of the mission 3 tweeter models, they're all meant to be very good.