1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission AV options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davidrbarrett, Jan 8, 2003.

1. davidrbarrett

davidrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm changing my speaker setup for a sat/sub option as room has now become a premium. And I like the look of the Mission packages and their glowing reviews. Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the three different options that I see on the Mission site:
    1. fs2-AV
    2. fs1-AV
    3. m7s

thanks
    David

2. keegs

keegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, I don't know much about the missions that you refer to but I am also looking at the FS1s. The problem seems that the FS1s have not had a great review, they miss a lot of mid range. Everyone I have spoken to said if your budget is limited and space is limited then you should listen to them first except not many will give me a demo!! :confused: Most ref me to the KEF 2500s which is supposed to be blinding but personnaly I don't like the look of them, guess you sacrifice one for the other! Any other comments from anyone on the FS1s??? cheers

3. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the FS2 package and I have to say I am really pleased with them. I don't use them for music at all, strictly movies but I think they sound great. (this is my first setup mind) They were very easy to setup and mounting them was no problem (no puns please :D )

I noticed that the FS2's are not a powerfull as the FS1's but I have a medium sized room and I always seem to have my AMP sat at about 44db's and they cope fine. :)

Hope this helps. :)

4. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I also have the fs2av's and think they are great. I've not heard the fs1's personally but i've been told that they are not as good as the fs2's. As always though try to decide by demo yourself.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone who owns the FS2s tried doubling up the panels? I'm thinking about buying a pair of Cyrus Icons for Stereo and using FS1/2s for the other five channels of a HC setup.

6. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've doubled up my FS2s. I bought 2 FS2AV sets so as I could use them for 6/7 channel ES/EX surround.
    Well worth doing!
    After using the extra sub and 2 panels for the rear channels you're left with 3 spare pannels, double up the centre. front left and front rights for a bigger sound. Looks and sounds great.

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bleach!

Looks like I'll have to go and demo the Icons seperately. Wish me luck!:cool:

8. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bleach.

Was this easy to do? Could you please expand a little more on how you did it? :)

If you can't be arse then furry fluff :D

9. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol

Well it was very easy to do (it must be, I managed it!!).
    For each speaker you'll need to get an interconnect kit from Mission. This consists of a small PCB and the front & rear plastic facias, and a few new grub screws. Very simply join the two speakers together (using the rear facia and push/click method) then take out the original speaker cable, put the PCB on (this connects the two speaker terminals together), then re-wire the speaker cable to the original speaker terminals. The new plastic fasia then clips over the top and that's it! So basically it's all down to this PCB which carries the speaker signal to the new panel.
    Very simple. If I've got a spare few mins this weekend, I'll put a few piccies up if you want?

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Bleach. If you don't mind on the pics that would be great. :)

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the FS2s go perfectly loud enough for me in a 14ft x 23ft room, and I've seen them demo-ed in much bigger with no problems...

so power is not a problem.

its only the fs1 sub thats more powerful in comparison in reality... they balance out about the same in reality.

for the size of speaker, either fs1 or fs2 produce a very "big" sound considering, due to the NXT style sound dispersal.

I've seen some good reviews of the FS1s... was it HCC? certainly at least one or two giving a best buy or award... home ent also.
    the fs1s sounded similar to me at a Mission demo, though I prefer the FS2 panel look to the FS1s personally... wider, but half as tall.

the kefs aren't really in the same ballpark in price now... significantly more expensive at approx £700 with little discounting, although the FS2s were originally the same list price of £800 when introduced so comparable as speakers.

I demo-ed both the kefs and fs2-av now long ago - approx 14 months and could hear little difference, at £650-750. also no real audible missing mid-range as some people have stated...
    once the price difference came into play when they began to get discounted to £400, the decision was simple.
    even cheaper now at below £400.

don't know much about the newer m7s set... the sub looks like the same from the FS1 set, even mentions it uses the same cable.
    since the satellites are described as being from the m7 family, these are probably related to the normal cinema m7x series.. same basic drive units perhaps?
    would be interested to see what these sound like if they are based on a more conventional type full range speaker, and have a better crossover.
    like the eggs though, I dont like the styling much.

worth getting a demo of both if possible, and the other sub/sat sets from £350-550.

12. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mission fs system For £299 in BETALLS IN kingston or bracknell. Not bad just paid £350 for mine. gutted:clap: