1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 78D

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tracey, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know/have any opinions on how important rear/surround speakers are? I have Mission 781 fronts and a 78C centre but my rear speakers are Eltax HT2 bipolars, I was just wondering if it would be worth me replacing the HT2's with a pair of matching Mission 78D's or is it not really worth spending the extra money? The rest of my set up is an Arcam AVR100 and all front channels are bi-amped using an Arcam Alpha 10P3.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 78ds is the same as the 77ds and the 70ds
    Great speakers but then so is the HT2

Put on a speaker lest tone and ask yourself
    A) does the tone of these speakers match
    and after playing a good DVD
    B) does this speaker sound good.

If either answer is yes then stick with the HT3.

P.S I have the 77DS I love them but I was upgradeing from Mission 70's at the rear

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Big Pasty ]

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    big pasty
    been thinking of getting a pair of 77ds myself only problem is i could only place them on the side walls and not at the rear what do you think? and where do you position yours.

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,

I would go and get a demo to see what you think, I would guess that you might find them a proper tonal match, with a cleaner sound than the Eltax speakers

Pasty,

er not axctly true mate - the 78ds are larger, and so go (a bit) lower, and have the same Keraform cones and silk tweeters as the rest of the 78 range. the 70ds and 77ds seem to share the same cabinet, but have aerogel (for the 77ds) of glass fibre (for the 70ds) cones and fabric tweeters.

basically get the one that matches the rest of your speakers, to get a nice tonal match through the set.

Jim

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I think a demo is the only way to go really, I decided on the 78 series for the front channels because they have a very smooth treble, whereas the Eltax speakers do not, in fact they are very harsh, but then I bought the HT2's because they are small. I'll probably get some 78D's on a home trial and see if I like the look of them as well as the sound. I started off with a Sony
    STR-DB830 and all Eltax speakers and I've been gradually upgrading everything, next on my list is an Arcam DV88 to replace my Sony 525 so I may be perfectly happy once I get that, who knows :)