Mission 78as Subwoofer Review

ShinObiWAN

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well after an eventful few days I just had to come and tell you all about this subwoofer, especially as its so inexpensive - read on.

Firstly I must add that I bought this subwoofer totally blind, couldn't even manage to find a review on the web, well not in english anyway :)

So I took the plunge since the price was agreeable and took the line "If its no good, I'll ebay it." At least that way I can recoup nearly all of the money laid out for it in the first place.

Anyway, it arrived on Monday and after unpacking and setup I was initially dissappointed with the performance - quite boomy and slow sounding, I put it down to the location so moved it around the room trying to get a better match with my speakers, small improvements were made by pulling it out of corners and keeping the rear of the unit close the wall. It still sounded pretty laid back and had no punch or accuracy.

Well I read the manual and like always I was being too impatient, it clearly stated that it needs a 24 hour run-in minimum. So I left it on at a low level playing the prodigy on repeat.
Next day I came back to it after around 16 hours playing, a big improvement in every area was immediately noticable. I again repositioned the sub, this time closer into the corner and I was starting to grin as I was revelling in the sound - I was starting to like this sub.

Well now after around 30hrs run-in I can say that this will be a keeper, or at least manage 6 months in my setup ;)

I should add that this is a better sub for music rather than movies - don't get me wrong it can do the business when watching film but its at its most impressive when used with complex bass passages in music, rather than ground shaking explosions. I have previously owned a Servo15 and for music this beats it but for movies it not deep enough to challange the servo - but what is? The sound the 78as produces can only be described as 'posh', very smooth, musical and fast. If it went down another 10hz I'd expect it would be near the top of the list of music lovers everywhere.

Specs:

Enclosure Type : 2-way Reflex
Frequency Response +/- 3db : 32Hz to 150Hz
Driver Configuration : 2 x 200mm Long Throw
Cross-Over Frequency 50 - 150Hz
Effective Volume : 29 litres
Amplifier power : 250W Integral Amp
Dimensions (HxWxD) : 340 x 615 x 280(mm)
Finish : Beech, Rosewood, Black Ash

Equipment tested with:
Processor: Lex MC1
Poweramp: Rotel
Fronts: KEF RDM Two
Rears: KEF RDM One
Center: KEF Ref 100c
Source: HTPC for movies/Meridian spinner for cd audio
Display: Barcodata 808 CRT

I've saved the best bit whilst last - its been knocked down from £700 to just £250 from www.hyperfi.co.uk

Now if that isn't a risk worth taking I don't know what is.

Attachments

• 78as.jpg
    78as.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,151
Makes a change for a sub to look good, especially for that money:) Glad you're happy with it:)

Interesting review. Especialy since I haven't read great things about it in the hi-fi press.

As with all Mission subs, it looks rather tasty :).

Originally posted by Dimmy
Interesting review. Especialy since I haven't read great things about it in the hi-fi press.

Always take press reviews with a pinch of salt, normally you can add or subtract a star depending on your tastes.

I am surprised that it didn't get a good response from the press, which magazine did you see it in BTW? I find the sounds it makes thoroughly enjoyable but then again I sold my Servo15 after being disappointed with its musical performance, so maybe my ears have deviated far from the norm, since so many love the servo15 for music.

On the subject of the magazine review though - consider this, I'd struggle to justify paying £700 for this sub but for the price I paid and reviewed it at, £250, its almost too good to be true. I'd wager that it would be impossible to top for that money. I've ordered a second one for stereo duties so it must be doing something right.

Please don't take this out of context, its a way from the worlds best but it is almost certainly the best £250 sub.

Its every bit as good if not better than the REL Strata III I owned before the Servo15. For HT the Servo15 is in another league again compared to these models. But it would take a very special sub indeed to top that model (at any price).

Good to read such a down to earth review :smashin:

It does remind me of what my mom used to keep the towels in though :D

Originally posted by stevegreen
It does remind me of what my momused to keep the towels in though :D

:D LOL :D

Too true, my mother used to call it the 'ottoman'.

So from this day on it shall be known as the 'Noisy Ottoman(tm)' :D ;)

What Hi-Fi Reviewed it as part of a Mission 78 series speaker package, where, IIRC, they described it as 'slow' sounding (they probably didn't run it in properly?).

And £250? That's a ludicrous price :p.

just clicked ont the hyperfi linkand they have only six subs on offer and none of them a Mission???They also have Kef 60s on offer at £ 49.95 which seems remarkably cheap . Does anyone know anything about them? Was thinking of buying 4 Keff Eggs but that would double my outlay.

I have just this minute phoned them, they have the 78as in stock at £250 with £20 courier charge!

Only in black and black only as quoted by the guy on the phone! :thumbsup:

Rightly or wrongly i think ive just bought one!!! :confused:

020 8594 6216 is there number....

http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/

danlovett said:
Rightly or wrongly i think ive just bought one!!! :confused:

If your maximum budget is £250 and you insist on buying new, you have done quite well but if your budget is double that, you are willing to buy second hand and music is as important as films to you there are much better alternatives around.

I phoned hyperfi and the guy said £279 boxed new, but i might get a pioneer 575 from them too (which is ££99 on there advert), so i sould be able to get the lot for £350 with delivery if i haggle? The problem with this company is they never have in stock what they have on the adverts, guess at the prices though i'm not supprised.

Funny you should say that, i think there's a pattern. Hyperfi quoted me £250 for the sub but advised he would check availability. He came back to me and said he only has 1 left at £280 due to it being new + boxed and in black.

Since then you have called and he's found another!! :confused:

I saw them after making the purchase on there website for £150. :confused:

Clever sales, got me fair and square!! :rolleyes:

Still it was originally £600 - £700 and I like the idea of keeping my kit all to mission. :thumbsup:

Oh and it arrived tuesday morning, (ordered friday evening) :smashin:

I bought stuff from Hyperfi 7 years ago and more and it seems that they haven't changed much since then :D

Just been on the phone to another guy and he wanted £299 for the sub and was rubishing the 575 sayingt there where problems probably so he could sell me the 565, still a good price of £99 but not the new model that i want and can get from richer at 120 anyway.

Three words for anyone unhappy with Hype-Fi: Advertising Standards Authority.

Mike.

They probably make a lot more money with the false ads than they would be fined anyway, so I doubt they would care too much.

The ASA/Courts can take that into account. HF have already got three judgments against them (2000, 2001 & 2003) yet they're still doing operating in exactly the same they always have. Next time they get a hefty fine and more than a wrist-slapping.

Mike.

Could do, but once you buy something they will know where you live!

Complain, get no where, sulk. All too likely.......

And they might sh$t through my letterbox!!!

I think i'll let them get away with it!! I will accept that I am a victim of clever sales. Besides I was happy with the price before seeing the ads, there was no pressure when they offered it to me.

He said £280 and i said i'd go with it afterall... :rolleyes:

:lesson: If you use HyperFi just expect to be diverted from the actual item you call for, or lines like.. 'We have sold our ex-demos but haved new boxed for £X amount' Another favourite is colour as a divertion to a higher price. :lesson:

Conclusion is that £280 is a fair price for a 78as.

thanks all...

(I missed the courier so i'll be collecting it today, i'll post a verdict soon!) :D

Yeah I got caught with that 'no more ex demo but....' I would love to visit there shop and see what they really have in stock:suicide:

While we're still a tad off-topic here; let's assume there is only ever a single ex-dem item per each product line which Hype-Fi sell. Given that assumption, what possible justification is there for this company to even think about listing these ex-dem prices in their advertisements, knowing that these single items will have sold on the shopfloor within hours, or even minutes ? I consider the legality of that practice at least questionable; they are advertising goods which they cannot ever hope to supply. And, of course, they don't intend to !

And then they continue to advertise these historical one-off bargains for months afterwards in a national magazine and internationally online. Only to lure the unsuspecting into higher priced equivalent (or identical !) items.

And if that were not bad enough, there have been examples of the advertised prices of zero-stock items continuing to reduce over successive months adverts, when the items have sold out even before the first ad ever reached the shops. Is it not about time somebody complained to the ASA ? (Besides me, that is ;) )

Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

Mike.

Your completely correct, but as no one has actually been ripped off, and are still getting things cheaper than if they bought them elsewhere (the 78as still retails for >£600 on some websites) it's not so bad. But it is deceptive and illegal, but for most part I can't see anyone getting hurt. But if you had your heart set on a ex demo item that is ridiculously cheap and then paid 2x for the same thing new and boxed and could really afford it, then it's wrong. You’re still probably getting it cheaper than it is anywhere else though.

Is it really wrong? (Yes and no, I’ve confused my self on the moral conundrum)

Flimber said:
And then they continue to advertise these historical one-off bargains for months afterwards in a national magazine and internationally online. Only to lure the unsuspecting into higher priced equivalent (or identical !) items.

And if that were not bad enough, there have been examples of the advertised prices of zero-stock items continuing to reduce over successive months adverts, when the items have sold out even before the first ad ever reached the shops. Is it not about time somebody complained to the ASA ? (Besides me, that is ;) )
Do they still have the mail order form on the ads, the one that was too small to fit any order or address details on. I ordered from the ad many years ago, didn't phone but just sent a cheque with the items I wanted. Got a phone call saying they didn't have any left and hadn't had them in stock for months, I just requested that they tear up the cheque and heard nothing more.

Back on topic the Mission from what I remember isn't that bad a sub, wouldn't have bought one at the £600 new price (and didn't).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom