Mission 78 series

T

Tingle

Hi,

Bear with me here, I just joined up!

I currently have a set of mission 783's which ?I do find to sound absolutly fantastic!

I was looking to complete the set to go for 5.1 sound and obviously my first choice was the rest of the 78 series

I have been told by hyperfi that they can sell me the following:

78as
78ds
78c

For a total price of £750 (in black)

Does anyone have any comments to offer about these? How does the sub sound, whats the centre like etc? Any other alternatives?

I currently have a sony str-1080 receiver, however, i am also considering upgrading that to one of their new digital 5000es amps which seems to me to be a rather nice amp. The only problem I can see is that those amps tend to drop off the power when used with lower independence speakers and as the 783 are only 6 ohms i feel i may have a bit of an issue

Any advice would be welcome before i go and get a system with a retail price of £3.5k!

Thanks

Tingle

Search this very forum for a recent sub review. And welcome to the forum.

Mike.

The centre and surrounds boast excellent sound and build (the series remains my favourite type of Missions) and I would be hard pressed to suggest any different, other than perhaps a pair of 780 (se perhaps) as rears so the system would really sing with multichannel music. If you can get the matching sub at some of the silly prices it has been advertised at recently, then go for it but at full list, there are other manufacturers (MJ Acoustics spring to mind) who might do better.
That big digital Sony won't struggle power wise- trust me. You may however find it a little bright with 780 components.

Thanks for the reply

The £750 is for the centres, sub and surrounds, so i do think that is a rather stupid price considering the list price of the sub is £700!

As for the amp, I had a quick play in a sony store and it did seem a little lacking in power, i.e. it only really got loud around -20 or -15, now the range did go up to +15 but i am concerned as this amp drops off power with lower independence speakers and the 783 are 6 ohms. Forgive me for sounding newbie like, but how to you mean 'a little bright'?

As for the sub review, from what I read - it is pretty poor to start off with but after the run in it shines rather nicely. That other peoples opinions to? I wasnt sure about it as it features 2 * 8" cones, my m7as has a 10" cone in it so im not sure if the 78as would quite keep up with the bass. However, i may be wrong.

Thanks

I should also add that this is the 78c speaker, NOT the 78cse - any opinions on the difference? It is a large difference? From what i heard about the m7 series the i made a large difference (my m74i's sounded great anyway)

Originally posted by Tingle
...I wasnt sure about it as it features 2 * 8" cones, my m7as has a 10" cone in it so im not sure if the 78as would quite keep up with the bass. However, i may be wrong.

You may be. Two eight-inchers is roughly equivalent in area to one twelve-incher.

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom