Mission 77DS's used in Dolby EX

Orbital

Established Member
Reaction score
Lo All,

At the moment I'm using Mission 77DS's in my Dolby EX setup but because of the weird wall behind the seating area I cant place the 77's side by side as indicated in the THX spec. I know the consensus is towards using one speaker for EX but I've paid for a two channel power amp and two 77DS's and I'm damn well going to use them :D

The idea I had was to rotate one of the 77's 180 degrees and put it under the other one (see the attached pic). Do you think this will knacker the sound stage up? Your thoughts please ;)

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• 77dsx2.jpg
    77dsx2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 516
I don't have a clue what it would sound like but it would look very cool and original.

By the way, when you rotate the 77DS' 180 degrees, how do you make the Mission logo switch as well? Do you just rip it off and stick it back on? :confused:

We meet again! :D

If you have a close look at your 77's the mission logo is in fact a little plug and socket arrangement and is made so it can be unplugged and turned round in case you need to put your speakers the other way round up high against the ceiling. These Misson bods think of everything :)

Cheers

Dave

Come on people! Don't let me down now! :eek:

Cheers

Dave

I have the M7DS, similar to the 77DS. If I have the speaker(s) he right way up, does the sound travel upwards or downwards (as well as forwards, sideways, etc) ? I'm just wondering because you mentioned having them turned 180 degrees if putting them up against the ceiling. Doesn't having them the right way up still work just as well, if having them up to the ceiling, or am I missing something here?

At the moment I have them plonked on the head-rest of the sofa, I haven't had the time to put them up on the wall yet, and am deciding whether to have them touching the ceiling or half way up the wall, etc.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Orbital
The idea I had was to rotate one of the 77's 180 degrees and put it under the other one (see the attached pic). Do you think this will knacker the sound stage up? Your thoughts please ;)

I'm only guessing but I don't think that it would sound very good as the idea of EX is to spread the sound better as well as localise rear sounds.

I can't get enough distance between speakers for EX which is why I haven't bothered.

Lo all,

Well it's all done :) I watched Star Wars EP1 as the first test. Only intended to watch a chapter and ended up watched the whole movie :) I am amazed at the difference EX makes to a films soundtrack I thought it was going to be just the odd spot effect once in a blue moon but no it's so much more. When the Jedi meet Jar Jar Binks in the forest for the first time you really feel like your standing there with them. The birds chirp and the forest animals scuttle all around you, it's ace!

As far as the speaker position goes it seems to hold the sound stage just right. There's no muddling of effects between the SL or SR and yet the rear soundstage sounds really enveloping. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I wish I'd got my ass into gear and put the speakers up when I first got hold of them about 3 weeks ago!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Wooooo I keep looking at that picture with the speakers above and below each other :D

I have the Mission 77DS surrounds as my side speakers (because they're dipolar in design and give a more dispersed sound)...For the EX/ES setup I opted for a pair of M70's (directional) to connect to my new Denon 3802 Receiver. My main problem is that my rear wall is, in fact, a floor to ceiling window, so I had the speakers placed on the sofa headrest while I pondered a solution (the speakers were too close though, and proved to be a distraction). In the end I chose to fit them either side of the window (about 2.5 metres apart) with the brackets pointing the speakers to the centre rear of the soundstage toward the listening position. It works really well and the effects actually 'do' seem to come from right behind. The best demos by far are Star Wars Ep.1 and the THX (Jungle Sounds) Surround EX Demonstration DVD with the bee flying in circles around your head, HAHA!
I actually read in a past issue of Home Cinema Choice that speakers placed 'directly' behind the listening position are ill advised by THX because the human brain processes sound from the rear and partially confuses it as sound coming from the front.....Hmmm? From your comments though, this is an issue that is open to debate. The speaker positioning looks cool as well :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom