1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 77ds

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by maverick177uk, Jan 11, 2005.

1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Does anyone know if these are still for sale, I have 2 as my left and right surronds and was looking to use another one for centre rear surrond, would this be good or not?
    Cheers Rob

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It would be good but they wrere discontinued a while ago I'm afraid. They turn up in the classifieds here occasionally and fairly regularly on eBay.

A good alternative might be a 78ds, I think Hyperfi have a few.

3. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yeah the 77DS were discontinued a couple of years ago i think, i was trying to get a set just round about the time mission stopped supplying them, phoned every richer sounds store in britain to find one that had them in stock.

as for using one as a center rear surround, in most 6.1 setups i've seen, another centre speaker was usually used for the rear centre surround, and usually 2 surrround speakers for the surround back in 7.1

As for if it is good or not to go for 6.1 having the extra speaker will help with the positioning of surround effects, i think the term is "steering" i.e. giving a more definite position to a sound.

4. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

I have 77DS's as surround L&R and also a pair as surround backs. They are about 2 feet apart connected in series providing 6.1.

I am very happy with the overall effect. They produce a diffuse sound that envelopes you in the atmosphere of a film but also seem to be directional enough for you to pinpoint specifically located surround effects. So front to back confusion with the centre.

I've tried a centre, bookeshelf and various positions of 77DS in 5.1 configuration and found this to be the best (For me!)

5. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Cheers guys, found some on e-bay hope to win and get them next week. :thumbsup:

6. tom bell

tom bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried Hyperfi for new ones? They are currently selling off two to three year old Mission stuff at heavy discounts.

7. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Superfi (Camden) have m3ds and m5ds black and silver all at £99! Silver in stock, black at warehouse. I have reserved a pair of 78DS (£140) at HyperFi (Barking)...will let you know if i decide not to take them.

Are they worth the extra £40?

cheers